HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 01, 2009, 07:50 AM
Banned
USA, NJ, Wantage
Joined Jul 2008
285 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnnwizard
Here's the setup with 4 Flycamone 2 cameras and yaw string ready for some fun!
Tuan...you're the man! Cant wait to see the video. Your contributions to these forums are huge!
ACooper is offline Find More Posts by ACooper
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2009, 09:36 AM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,673 Posts
Today is a winch-launch day at Field of Dreams in SanPedro, Tuan...

Bring it!

Target
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old Feb 01, 2009, 01:51 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined May 2003
546 Posts
Which color combination for an Explorer ?

Is the green with red trim color combination easy to see in the air? How about yellow with red trim ?
Hoot is offline Find More Posts by Hoot
Old Feb 01, 2009, 02:41 PM
2F@st4U.:[BE]:.
Belgium
Joined Jun 2006
34 Posts
In my humble opinion ... orange is the best colour there is.

over u're choice:
i'm owning a green/red shadow is good on sunny days, but not when it's cloudly/ gray sky.
2F@st4U is offline Find More Posts by 2F@st4U
Old Feb 01, 2009, 02:50 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,792 Posts
Steve,

My yellow/red shows up great. My white/red Onyx JW disappeared on me quite often... I'll send Bob an email... if yours comes up 12% more on the invoice... no worries... it's just my commission...

Jack
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Feb 01, 2009, 03:05 PM
Win=span\massXpractice+lu ck
Joined Jul 2007
3,073 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Frahm
Dave,

FWIW - I'm working on carbon clevis covers that will work for the Xplorer. I hope to have them ready before the Spring Tune-up; I'll give you a set to try.

Jim
Sweet! that makes the tune just that much more of an event to look forward to!
webbsolution is offline Find More Posts by webbsolution
Old Feb 01, 2009, 05:19 PM
RIP MC
United States, CA, Midway City
Joined Dec 2003
3,270 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot
Is the green with red trim color combination easy to see in the air? How about yellow with red trim ?
Green/ Red is OK, does disappear on ya somewhat. Hazy days, better not take your eyes off it. I also think Orange is best color, at least for me!

I got in a few flights today and I tell ya, with the cams on there the plane felt like a pig, Had to dial in about 1/8-3/16 additional up ele, even though I add 1 ounce of weight 5" behind TE of wing. I wouldn't believe it if someone told me how different it is to fly. Sink rate is much higher, and ele control sluggish. I am betting the cams act like a spoiler.

For some reason, left wing cam and tail cam did not record anything.
Nose cam only got 15 minutes. Right cam recorded the full 30 minutes on the 1g card.
What a bummer!

I need to sync the video and post the last flight which was a 7 min flight.
Tuan
fnnwizard is online now Find More Posts by fnnwizard
Last edited by fnnwizard; Feb 01, 2009 at 05:28 PM.
Old Feb 01, 2009, 05:23 PM
Joined May 2003
546 Posts
12% commission

Jack,
You charging me a 12% commission isn't so bad. I'll more than make that up when I present you your Bed & Breakfast bill from the Gibson Hilton !
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman
Steve,

My yellow/red shows up great. My white/red Onyx JW disappeared on me quite often... I'll send Bob an email... if yours comes up 12% more on the invoice... no worries... it's just my commission...

Jack
Old Feb 01, 2009, 05:34 PM
RIP MC
Joined Dec 2003
3,270 Posts
Watching Super Bowl... go Kurt Warner. The guy deserves the win!
Old Feb 01, 2009, 05:43 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,792 Posts
Hoot,

You could just go ahead and send the check. I like my Xplorer so much I'm trying to fund a back up! Two days of howling wind, and 14 days on the road beginning tomorrow does not make for a good contest pilot... I've only flown it twice. I just hope I'm ready... Maybe I'll win something good in the raffle... I complained last year that I never win anything... and won a glider... that I traded for a radio... that I sold... DOH!

By the way, next trip I'll stay at my brother's-in-law... he doesn't charge and he eats GOOD!!!

Just kidding of course...

Jack
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Feb 02, 2009, 10:39 AM
agony sweetns the victory
Any Flying Field Across America
Joined Jul 2005
3,515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot
All our eyes are different....

I have a Green & Red Pike Superior and if it's not a SUPER sunny day, it all goes dark. I also had a Red & White JW Onyx and that thing would stand out like crazy in the sky even on dark days. I had a Red & Yellow fullhouse plane called Grace/Elegant (looks a lot like a DragonFly) that was always dissapearing on me, swore I'd never buy another Red & Yellow.

I currently have the Orange and Blue Xplorer, and I love it!!!!!! The orange shows up really well in the sky. On a bright day the Orange & Blue under-wing shows up nicely. On a dull day the Orange & Blue bottom goes dark but not the top of the wing. So I added two six inch wide bands of white to the bottom and they just dissapear before the plane reaches spec height, but down lower they really help with orientation.

The main thing I am trying to say here, all our eyes are different, and what works for some doesn't work for others.
atjurhs is offline Find More Posts by atjurhs
Old Feb 02, 2009, 06:50 PM
RIP MC
Joined Dec 2003
3,270 Posts
Here's the vids I put together.

The yaw string was accidentally moved on the last video.

It needs to be up higher to have real value.

It is entertaining for me to watch though.

To sync the vids properly play the front view (top video) first, then start second one 5 seconds in. You may have to quickly pause/start one or the other quickly to get the timing perfect depending on internet connection and speed of you computer.

It's 4 launches with 4th launch showing flight. Notice how little aileron movement is necessay fot normal flying.

Also note the angle the plane was held for winching.

Enjoy!
Tuan

Xplorer Testing Front View (5 min 48 sec) (5 min 48 sec) (5 min 48 sec) (0 min 0 sec) (0 min 0 sec) (0 min 0 sec)

Xplorer Testing Right View (5 min 43 sec) (5 min 43 sec) (5 min 43 sec) (5 min 43 sec) (5 min 43 sec) (5 min 43 sec)
Last edited by fnnwizard; Feb 03, 2009 at 11:57 AM.
Old Feb 02, 2009, 07:58 PM
Joined May 2003
546 Posts
Really cool videos ! From the first video, it looks like you need to use more rudder to clean up the turns. Looking at the second video, it appears you launch from a neighborhood or indusrial center. I never saw your field up in the air.
Old Feb 02, 2009, 08:50 PM
Fly R/C writer
Redlands, Ca
Joined Dec 2004
1,949 Posts
Dude,

that was waaayyyyy cool! I hit the coordination of the two vids on my first try and that was cool! Yeah, it is always amazing to me how little aileron deflection it actually takes to induce a roll to turn. And then we end up putting all kinds of control throw during set-up thinking, the specs must be made for wimps who don't like to roll or something. I haven't put myself in trouble thinking that with a sailplane, but I sure have with a power plane! Nice jon, Tuan!

Oh and I see you have me timing for you at the SWC...cool. I just hope you can understand the timing calls in Swahili.

Thanks!
mlee8249 is offline Find More Posts by mlee8249
Old Feb 02, 2009, 11:26 PM
RIP MC
Joined Dec 2003
3,270 Posts
Hoot, the field is the baseball diamond. Too too bad the rear cam did not record... so bummed.

The next time I do this it will be with just 3 cams, a bottom mounted yaw string and a bottom mount cam, Left wing cam and rear cam.

I need to practice for the SWC going forth so probably no more cam as the trims and flying style is somewhat off. 3 weeks away, and I may have only 1 or 2 more outings to get her on a stop watch.

Just on the launching, I am over rotating in the zoom and adding a little right stick on the pull back inadvertently, need to stiffen up ail stick. Also, need to dive a little steeper. Any other pointers?

Mike L., I'll learn any language needed just for you to time me. Only need to learn up to 30 or less .

Tuan