Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jan 30, 2009, 09:55 AM
agony sweetns the victory
atjurhs's Avatar
Any Flying Field Across America
Joined Jul 2005
3,513 Posts
Oh no Jack, with all those mods it's really gonna fly like crap, better just sell it off
atjurhs is offline Find More Posts by atjurhs
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2009, 10:01 AM
Fly R/C writer
Redlands, Ca
Joined Dec 2004
1,896 Posts
Hi Tim,

Don't be afraid to open up the slots for the pushrods and make them large enough to prevent any dragging of the pushrod to the skin or spar. If you let them make contact, you may not get free movement nor accurate centering of the flight control surface. One of the advantages of using an aerodynamic cover over the pushrods and control horn is that you can hide that slot underneath the cover. I can't tell you how big the slots are on mine as I cut them just large enough to provide clearance and I don't really care about how big they are....other than being smaller than the Grand Canyon! I can assure you that the four slots in my wings are all different sizes.

Mike Lee
mlee8249 is offline Find More Posts by mlee8249
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2009, 12:29 PM
WINS - Winch In Nose Sailplane
jaizon's Avatar
USA, NH
Joined Mar 2008
3,086 Posts
Mike,

Same clevis slot deal here. These covers are not painted or glued down, but I think you can get the idea of how I dealt with the holes. Not that I think there will be any real gain aerodynamically, I don't. I just like a cleaner look.

Preston
jaizon is offline Find More Posts by jaizon
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2009, 05:28 PM
Fly R/C writer
Redlands, Ca
Joined Dec 2004
1,896 Posts
Hi Preston,

Dude!!!! Looking great! Did you make them covers, buy them, steal them from some other pilot who fell off the hill slope soaring? Looks niiiice!

In my case, my covers are not quite that tall, but just tall enough to clear the pushrod and horn, and just wide enough to cover the slot I have cut...and then a bit of fudge factor, which is why I don't worry about the size of the slot so much as I worry about the pushrod and stuff not touching anything. You can definitely tell the difference in the sound of the model as it flies past with and without the covers. Without covers, it is louder, meaning more drag.

Thanks!
Mike
mlee8249 is offline Find More Posts by mlee8249
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2009, 05:33 PM
Win=span\massXpractice+lu ck
webbsolution's Avatar
Joined Jul 2007
2,799 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaizon
Mike,

Same clevis slot deal here. These covers are not painted or glued down, but I think you can get the idea of how I dealt with the holes. Not that I think there will be any real gain aerodynamically, I don't. I just like a cleaner look.

Preston

cough up your cover source THOSE LOOK GOOD.
webbsolution is online now Find More Posts by webbsolution
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2009, 06:03 PM
MSgt, USAF Ret.
Jim Frahm's Avatar
USA, WA, Spokane
Joined Nov 2003
1,232 Posts
Oops!
Jim Frahm is offline Find More Posts by Jim Frahm
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2009, 06:38 PM
Win=span\massXpractice+lu ck
webbsolution's Avatar
Joined Jul 2007
2,799 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Frahm
Oops!

I hope that is not a precurser to a crash story Jim...
webbsolution is online now Find More Posts by webbsolution
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2009, 07:01 PM
MSgt, USAF Ret.
Jim Frahm's Avatar
USA, WA, Spokane
Joined Nov 2003
1,232 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by webbsolution
I hope that is not a precurser to a crash story Jim...
NOPE!

I posted something in the wrong area.
Jim Frahm is offline Find More Posts by Jim Frahm
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2009, 10:32 PM
WINS - Winch In Nose Sailplane
jaizon's Avatar
USA, NH
Joined Mar 2008
3,086 Posts
Mike, Web,

Thanks. Those were cut and sanded down from some old time servo covers I picked up at my LHS. They were in some baggie with a little handwritten tag on them. So I don't know who made them, etc. I will try to find out when I go back to the shop this week and post then. Very light and rigid. About 6 gr. total for all four.

So here I am finally putting everything together to do all the radio programming and what do I find. My stab is very low on the right side when looking from the rear on the plane, i.e., it is not square to the wing (or rudder). A clawing sense of doom is setting in. And I can truly say "I didn't do it." This is the way it came. I'm hoping this is no big deal to fix, but having been away from the hobby for so long I have no idea just how to make this right. If I sight down the plane from behind the tail and line up the front edge of the stab with center panel t.e. in the middle the tip of the right half of the stab is quite low compared to the left (all done at neutral t.e.). Given that it's a carbon rod and pretty much fixed (doesn't bend)...what can I do to fix this? I flipped the stab (red side up) and it still drooped on the right side. And then the left side (with red up) was fine. When measured against a flat surface no warp was visible. Any suggestions are really most appreciated.


Preston
jaizon is offline Find More Posts by jaizon
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2009, 02:19 AM
Registered User
lesterpk's Avatar
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Oct 2003
870 Posts
Looks to me like your wing isn't straight. I took your pic and drew a couple of boxes on it, you can see the wing isnt straight to your vertical fin. This is an easy fix, add a thin strip of tape on the LH edge of the fuselage wing saddle and check again. Some thin signwriters vinyl might be best and you may need more than one layer too.
lesterpk is offline Find More Posts by lesterpk
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2009, 03:23 AM
RIP MC
fnnwizard's Avatar
United States, CA, Midway City
Joined Dec 2003
3,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaizon
Mike, Web,

Thanks. Those were cut and sanded down from some old time servo covers I picked up at my LHS. They were in some baggie with a little handwritten tag on them. So I don't know who made them, etc. I will try to find out when I go back to the shop this week and post then. Very light and rigid. About 6 gr. total for all four.

So here I am finally putting everything together to do all the radio programming and what do I find. My stab is very low on the right side when looking from the rear on the plane, i.e., it is not square to the wing (or rudder). A clawing sense of doom is setting in. And I can truly say "I didn't do it." This is the way it came. I'm hoping this is no big deal to fix, but having been away from the hobby for so long I have no idea just how to make this right. If I sight down the plane from behind the tail and line up the front edge of the stab with center panel t.e. in the middle the tip of the right half of the stab is quite low compared to the left (all done at neutral t.e.). Given that it's a carbon rod and pretty much fixed (doesn't bend)...what can I do to fix this? I flipped the stab (red side up) and it still drooped on the right side. And then the left side (with red up) was fine. When measured against a flat surface no warp was visible. Any suggestions are really most appreciated.


Preston
Preston, I am pretty sure it is due to the DB9 connector. Most of the DB9 are slightly too big to fit perfectly in the fuse/wing.

You need to grind the connector's rectangle frame in the fuse some and the rectangle cutout opening in the fuse itself. I also drill out the mounting holes of the connector in the fuse a bit. This allows the connector to "float" some to mate perfectly with the connector in the wing. On mine the connector half in the fuse has all the holes in it and the half in the wing has the pins.

ALso check to see if it is high once connected. If it is, you can also sand down the metal lip ( the rivets) of the half with the pins. This should cure it.
fnnwizard is online now Find More Posts by fnnwizard
Last edited by fnnwizard; Jan 31, 2009 at 10:09 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2009, 09:12 AM
Registered User
ClayH's Avatar
92840
Joined Mar 2003
3,033 Posts
I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one having issues with the DB9 connector on this plane.

CH
ClayH is offline Find More Posts by ClayH
Last edited by ClayH; Jan 31, 2009 at 09:28 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2009, 09:29 AM
Registered User
nuevo's Avatar
United States, AL, Madison
Joined May 2002
2,272 Posts
I thought jaizon was talking about the stab alignment, not wing alignment.

If so, I rotated the original image slightly, and the wing looks perfectly aligned with the vertical fin. See below.

The green boxes show the wing-to-fin alignment. The red line marks the TE of the stab. From my image editing program, the red vertical line is truly vertical, and the horizontal line is rotated 0.5 degrees.

jaizon, long ago, I had a stab off 2-4 degrees on a Grand Esteem. It looked obvious and ugly going up the winch line. But, I could never tell flying it, and won several contests with that plane.
nuevo is offline Find More Posts by nuevo
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2009, 09:47 AM
Austin Silent Flyer
rrdiaz30's Avatar
Austin Texas
Joined Mar 2003
384 Posts
I noticed that my elevator is a little "wobbly" once mounted to the fuse. Anyone else have this?

Rick
rrdiaz30 is offline Find More Posts by rrdiaz30
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2009, 09:59 AM
RIP MC
fnnwizard's Avatar
United States, CA, Midway City
Joined Dec 2003
3,196 Posts
I take a square to the vertical and horizontal stab to see if mine was square and it is.

If anyone has ever built some free flight hand launch models we used to tilt the hor stab to make model circle in direction of higher stab. So a very slight tilt is not a very big deal, but something over 1/2 ", I would guess causes some drag with counter trims. Just guessing, maybe 1/2" doesn't do anything with model this size.

Stab is a little wobbly too. I remember most of my models having this though.

Tuan

Clay, you should have left the piggie comment, that made me laugh in an otherwise hectic morning.
fnnwizard is online now Find More Posts by fnnwizard
Last edited by fnnwizard; Jan 31, 2009 at 10:06 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion RADINA 2 by NAN models Pinci Hand Launch 38 Feb 11, 2009 12:58 AM
Question Speed 1.5 /Nan Models. Alex Mini 1.5 setup question Broncomech Slope 20 Jul 23, 2008 09:47 PM
Discussion Nan Models Shadow ( sorry for the mistake ) Chipwillis Thermal 56 Apr 19, 2007 04:44 PM