HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 27, 2009, 05:33 PM
Birmingham, AL
Joined Sep 2003
405 Posts
Mike:

Good to hear about the thinner vinyl. Where can it be purchased?
sleep4 is offline Find More Posts by sleep4
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 27, 2009, 09:03 PM
Fly R/C writer
Redlands, Ca
Joined Dec 2004
1,887 Posts
Hi sleep4,

Any sign shop will have high performance. I use mostly 3-M brand vinyl, but many shops use Calon, Arlon, and Avery.

Thanks,
Mike
mlee8249 is offline Find More Posts by mlee8249
Old Jan 28, 2009, 10:00 AM
agony sweetns the victory
Any Flying Field Across America
Joined Jul 2005
3,513 Posts
Yesterday the Xplorer specific ballast set arrived from across the pond via Wixy3, very nice workmanship!

Oh, and I tested out using Windex and the monokote sticky-back trim on another panel I have left over from another plane. It worked very nicely, although some of the stickyness was lost, so I'll probably add a piece of tape along the LE to be sure that the monokote sticky-back trim doesn't peel off in flight.
atjurhs is offline Find More Posts by atjurhs
Old Jan 28, 2009, 10:38 AM
Fly R/C writer
Redlands, Ca
Joined Dec 2004
1,887 Posts
Hi atjurhs,

Be careful when using Windex, as some varieties of this product contains ammonia which will act as a solvent to the adhesive of the Monokote....might be why you lost the sticky towars the edge. I use just plain water with about 5-drops of liquid dishwashing soap per quart of water. I always allow for about 3-inches of overrun on the vinyl, beyond the LE and TE as that allows me to handle the vinyl and not contaminate the adhesive with any finger stuff. Then I just slice it off clean at the TE and LE with a new razor. I hope that helps.

Mike
mlee8249 is offline Find More Posts by mlee8249
Old Jan 28, 2009, 11:03 AM
Birmingham, AL
Joined Sep 2003
405 Posts
Why is windex or any other liquid needed for the sticky Monocote trim? I just stuck mine to the gelcoat using a credit card to smooth it on, worked fine. What does the liquid offer. I would be afraid it would reduce the adhesive quality of the sticky side.

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but I am curious.
sleep4 is offline Find More Posts by sleep4
Old Jan 28, 2009, 11:18 AM
RIP MC
United States, CA, Midway City
Joined Dec 2003
3,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee8249
Hi atjurhs,

Be careful when using Windex, as some varieties of this product contains ammonia which will act as a solvent to the adhesive of the Monokote....might be why you lost the sticky towars the edge. I use just plain water with about 5-drops of liquid dishwashing soap per quart of water. I always allow for about 3-inches of overrun on the vinyl, beyond the LE and TE as that allows me to handle the vinyl and not contaminate the adhesive with any finger stuff. Then I just slice it off clean at the TE and LE with a new razor. I hope that helps.

Mike
Yep, back in the Midwest, I have a friend that runs a window tinting / graphics co. They use water and dishwashing soap sprayed on the glass. It allows you to slide the film around to get perfect line-up and easier to see bubbles so you squeegee all of them out. If not done this way, it almost then becomes a one shot deal and if you miss, then there's contamination, stretching, creasing, and even lots of cussing when trying to reposition. FWIW they also use newspaper and a 3M window cleaner in a can that foams to clean the glass.
fnnwizard is offline Find More Posts by fnnwizard
Old Jan 28, 2009, 11:36 AM
agony sweetns the victory
Any Flying Field Across America
Joined Jul 2005
3,513 Posts
Sounds good, I'll lay it down with water and soap instead of Windex, thanks for the tip!
atjurhs is offline Find More Posts by atjurhs
Old Jan 28, 2009, 02:31 PM
Joined Jul 2004
36 Posts
V Tail Xplorer

I've ordered a v tail to replace the x tail that I crashed earlier this month. I haven't seen much information on this thread about the v tail. Does anyone have any experience with building and flying one? Are there any hints about it?
brownecg is online now Find More Posts by brownecg
Old Jan 28, 2009, 04:41 PM
Stamford, CT
Joined Feb 2002
474 Posts
Brownie - can't be too bad the reigning F3J World Champion beat a bunch of world class pilots and planes with one.

George
SaltyOne is online now Find More Posts by SaltyOne
Old Jan 28, 2009, 07:31 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,744 Posts
Bad servo

Well, I had a bad DS-168 servo on my right aileron. I ordered a new one from our friends at SUSA before I hit the road, thinking it might get here by the weekend... but it got there yesterday. What great service! Now I can start flying this model this weekend... weather permitting that is... Now if I can just get home... ...

Jack
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Jan 28, 2009, 07:53 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,329 Posts
Bob, Annette, and Alex ROCK!

Target
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old Jan 28, 2009, 08:33 PM
Fly, Fish or F#@%
Houston
Joined Dec 2006
476 Posts
So Target,
When are you going to build your Xplorer?
You need to get out with us for some flying!
Cheers,
Thomas
gliding Oz is offline Find More Posts by gliding Oz
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 28, 2009, 09:00 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gliding Oz
So Target,
When are you going to build your Xplorer?
You need to get out with us for some flying!
Cheers,
Thomas

Well, I figure I'll have to buy it before I build it!

T

Soon, I think... I'm busy and I have to work this Saturday again!
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old Jan 29, 2009, 02:25 PM
2F@st4U.:[BE]:.
Belgium
Joined Jun 2006
34 Posts
Does anyone have detailed pics measurements of the topskin removal at the ailerons ??? and the lenght horn -- wing trailing edge

I have troubles getting this moving without binding.

EDIT (xtra info)
In my shadow build, i didn't encounter any problems what so ever, but it seems that the end spar (hope u know what i mean) is much closer to the trailing edge. That's the reason why i can't get it to work.

Thanks in advance.

Greetz
Tim

P.S. if it's no trouble cm would be nice ;-)
2F@st4U is offline Find More Posts by 2F@st4U
Last edited by 2F@st4U; Jan 30, 2009 at 08:08 AM.
Old Jan 30, 2009, 09:35 AM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,744 Posts
2F@$t4U,

I had to make the openings in the top of the wings a little bigger to clear the clevises. I had to clean out the drag spar a bit to clear the pushrods. I also made shorter control arms for the aileron servos. I got my new servo in last night, so maybe I'll get to do some flying this weekend.

Jack
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman