HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 21, 2009, 09:47 PM
Joined Jul 2002
533 Posts
A few years ago I got a brand new custom painted Superior. My pride and joy and decided to install the best gear I could find. For the elevator after reading the specs I bought a 3421 SA. After the third landing I grabbed the plane ready to launch again and heard that usual broken servo noise. To my big surprise the 3421 SA gears were gone. My only thought was that I got a defective servo and talked to good friend from JR John Diniz. His explanation was exactly what Larry Jolly has said, these gear train was not design for any impact. In the other hand the 3421 with metal gears is the best servo I know. Have four on a RL and 2 on the nose of my 51 oz home built Supra.
Glauco is offline Find More Posts by Glauco
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 21, 2009, 10:33 PM
USA, IL, Naperville
Joined Feb 2003
857 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee8249
At the WC, Ben was on 2.4 and although I also flew 2.4, it was not in the actual WC event, but in the Spor Yapi Cup event, held the 2 days before the WC competition began. I had no issues. The one loss that was referred to was a Junior aircraft that was on 72-mHz, range checked okay, and then when it was brought to the line, did not respond on the ground. It was ditched for that flight and then they thought they had it figured out. It got into the air and it went blind about 900-ft away and at 500 ft. Never did figure out why that I know of.

Mike
Mike:

Jeffrey (Little Flyer) was the junior pilot with the radio problem. He had a failure on his XP9303 module system on 2.4GHz. The radio was fine for many flights, then on round 3 or 4 of the WC the Tx failed at launch. He had minimal control but was able to land without damage. He relaunched with his back-up ship (but same Tx) and almost lost that ship as well. His clear presence of mine was key to making sure he landed within 75M to avoid a zero flight.

Upon inspection after the round, it appeared that the antenna wire from the module to the antenna must have been damaged. Range testing showed about 6 feet with the range test button depressed. He switched to his back-up Tx for the rest of his flights without a problem.

Many thanks to Sherman Knight (Team JR) who helped us sort out the problem and expedite a free repair by JR once we got back home.
John Walter is offline Find More Posts by John Walter
Old Jan 22, 2009, 10:16 AM
Joined Oct 2003
1,809 Posts
Tuan,
Congratulations on your new purchase of the JR9303. If you have any questions on the setups or programming please give me a call. I hope yours is as good to you as mine has been for me. Most of you guys know I jumped Teams a couple of years ago. I have never worked with a finer group than the Team at Horizon, and have had nothing but excellent performance from my JR and Spektrum Radio Systems. You may or may not know our Spektrum designer Paul Beard is not a stranger to the high tech world. His last minor project was a stint as the designer of the TIVO. The Horizon Guys must never sleep, I have been road testing some new Sailplane equipment that is going to make you guys real happy, you are flying JR. Sorry, sworn to secrecy, but it works, it is designed for you, and it proves Horizon's commitment to the Sailplane Guys. Larry
Larry Jolly is offline Find More Posts by Larry Jolly
Old Jan 22, 2009, 10:36 AM
Austin Silent Flyer
Austin Texas
Joined Mar 2003
384 Posts
Ditto on Horizon's excellent service, great people to work with. I asked for some sailplane switch plates for my X9303 and found them in the mailbox a couple of days away.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=2167974

Rick
rrdiaz30 is offline Find More Posts by rrdiaz30
Old Jan 23, 2009, 10:46 AM
United States, CA, Bakersfield
Joined Jan 2001
1,694 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrdiaz30
Ditto on Horizon's excellent service, great people to work with. I asked for some sailplane switch plates for my X9303 and found them in the mailbox a couple of days away.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=2167974

Rick
I like the idea of sailplane switchplates for the 9303 but which version of the 9303 do you have? I'm told most glider flyers want the heli version for better switch placement and that would be important in matching the sailplane labels with the proper switches.
georgeg is offline Find More Posts by georgeg
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 23, 2009, 11:00 AM
United States, AL, Madison
Joined May 2002
2,272 Posts
IIRC, the preference for heli switch layout is for DLG pilots, who like the momentary switch for a launch setting.
nuevo is offline Find More Posts by nuevo
Old Jan 23, 2009, 11:25 AM
Austin Silent Flyer
Austin Texas
Joined Mar 2003
384 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeg
I like the idea of sailplane switchplates for the 9303 but which version of the 9303 do you have? I'm told most glider flyers want the heli version for better switch placement and that would be important in matching the sailplane labels with the proper switches.
I had the Airplane version of the X9303.

Rick
rrdiaz30 is offline Find More Posts by rrdiaz30
Old Jan 23, 2009, 01:36 PM
RIP MC
United States, CA, Midway City
Joined Dec 2003
3,215 Posts
Hey, I just found where one can buy some splined aluminum servo hubs to make RDS installs much easier. You'll still need to drill to fit yoke. Can't wait to do the 2nd X as that will be RDS on both Flaps and Ail.

http://www.airwildpilotshop.com/More...product&id=288

The slight play on my flaps is still bothering me as I finish setting up my flight modes last night. It's only .65mm now, but it is not as tight and solid as it would be with RDS. Almost wants me to convert the current flaps to RDS.

On a side note, with this setup, if you damage a tip, it is very simple to just plug in another tip provided you make pockets correctly. I should have my second tips finish by month end and may see orange tips on the green one.

This RDS set up would be excellent for ships that use 2 different tips as you only need to make pockets for the tips instead of a whole servo install. Of course if you completely damage only the center panel it's a lot more work.
fnnwizard is online now Find More Posts by fnnwizard
Old Jan 23, 2009, 02:54 PM
Joined Mar 2003
3,035 Posts
If you go back and redo the center panel with RDS to try and remove a half millimeter of flap play I will have you committed to Fairview State Hospital
ClayH is offline Find More Posts by ClayH
Old Jan 23, 2009, 03:19 PM
RIP MC
United States, CA, Midway City
Joined Dec 2003
3,215 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClayH
If you go back and redo the center panel with RDS to try and remove a half millimeter of flap play I will have you committed to Fairview State Hospital
It's just not the play itself, but the "sloppy/mushyness" around neutral. I programmed in thermal, speed, launch etc with plane right side up then measured again with plane upside down and the throws were a little off just from the weight of the flaps.

So I know there is some blowback in the surfaces when launching/ flying. I guess we can adjust it once flying to get it close.

Also, the more I mess around with this RDS the more I really like it. Almost to the point where I... never mind, don't want you to call the psychiatrist on me .

Get yours done so we can compare Clay! Last couple days I was ready to take her out but of course mother nature says not so fast.

Tuan

Ps, I was used to the play/sloppiness before, but once I tried RDS and notice how much less mushiness there was, I can't just leave things alone once I see that there is a better way, even while its more work.
fnnwizard is online now Find More Posts by fnnwizard
Old Jan 25, 2009, 07:52 PM
agony sweetns the victory
Any Flying Field Across America
Joined Jul 2005
3,515 Posts
another Xplorer takes to the air

Today my buddy Nuevo and I were finally able to get out to the local flying field and get my Xplorer in the air. I followed all the advice found on this thread relative to initial settings, CG, and tow hook placement. We went step by step first with hand throws, then a launch using cruise settings, testing landing mode settings while at altitude, testing launch mode settings while at altitude, and then finally launching in launch mode. All along only minor changes were made to the initial settings. The biggest change was in the amount that I moved the tow hook back from its initial setting.

WOW! That's really about the only word that I can think of describing how this plane flys. I could not tip stall this plane! It stood on it's tip and just slowly sank in altitude. It didn't matter how much I pulled on that elevator. It just stood on that tip and sank , but it would not stall. Even at low altitude, I had the confidence to fly it like a DLG. Setting up for a landing, the turn at the end of the downwind leg lost almost no altitude at all. It was amazing! There was very little to no lift almost all of the day, and it would just hang in the sky. I had one flight that was 16 or 17 minutes! Flipped it into speed mode and it went all the way across the field from one extreme to the other, and it hardly lost any altitude. I am simply amazed by this plane!

WOW!
atjurhs is offline Find More Posts by atjurhs
Old Jan 25, 2009, 08:18 PM
Banned
USA, NJ, Wantage
Joined Jul 2008
285 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by atjurhs
I am simply amazed by this plane!

WOW!
Glad to hear it AT! The reviews are all glowing for this plane!
ACooper is offline Find More Posts by ACooper
Old Jan 25, 2009, 08:35 PM
Joined Jul 2005
3,515 Posts
BTW, mine was built/assembled by Dave Hauch, and I'm certain that much of it's success today is attributable to Dave.
Old Jan 25, 2009, 08:57 PM
Throw it like you hate it
United States, CA, Castro Valley
Joined Apr 2007
3,071 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by atjurhs
The biggest change was in the amount that I moved the tow hook back from its initial setting.
where is your tow hook now? i am getting close to buying the Xplorer. Just need to wait for a little more money to flow in...and then subsequently out.
RCPC is offline Find More Posts by RCPC
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 25, 2009, 09:18 PM
Joined Jul 2005
3,515 Posts
I'm guessing it's close to 104. The plane is currently put away, but I'll get it out in a few days and measure it as best I can.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the tow hook setting also related to how much I've dropped the TE in launch mode?