HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 21, 2009, 10:57 AM
RIP MC
United States, CA, Midway City
Joined Dec 2003
3,379 Posts
Got a quick question for experts out there. My effective "horn length" using this RDS is less than 1/4" , so does that mean my servos needs about 1/2 of the torque requirements vs one using stock horns, being stock horns are about 1/2" from center?

Nevermind, I found ut the answer.

Thanks for any feedback!
Tuan
fnnwizard is offline Find More Posts by fnnwizard
Last edited by fnnwizard; Jan 21, 2009 at 11:37 AM. Reason: Found answer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 21, 2009, 11:02 AM
Joined Jan 2004
919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glderguy
Yes too bad Futaba didnt make a logger. None the less, if you suffer control loss, lose the plane, logger or not its destroyed, but you will have the satisfaction of knowing, while standing over your 2500.00 worth of crumpled molded beauty, that it was totally destroyed due to 2.4 lockout. If you had a logger I mean. Beats just guessing like you would if you lost one on 72 though. BTW, didnt someone on US F3J team crash or lose control or something like that due to 2.4 issues??
Walter

As far as I know Rich had some launch mishaps not 2.4 issues.... Ben reported 2.4 worked perfectly.

Walter do you have a 2.4 system?

sj
SmokinJoe101 is offline Find More Posts by SmokinJoe101
Old Jan 21, 2009, 11:14 AM
Bolingbrook, Illinois
Joined Nov 2007
249 Posts
JR3421sa servo actual hands on experience

The JR 3421sa- the 'sa' stands for special applications. I accidently used one on my Espada R instead of a standard JR-3421. The gear train failed on the first extra hard dork landing. Apparently this is the wrong applications.
I replaced the gear set with the gear set that is used in the JR-3421 standard. Works perfect!!!
I suggest not to use JR3421sa on anything except maybe v-tails where there is much less loads.

The JR 3421 standard and the Volz Micro Max Digis have given me the best service on all my planes for competition. I never blew a gear train with any of them.
Rich Burnoski is offline Find More Posts by Rich Burnoski
Old Jan 21, 2009, 11:26 AM
4 wheels move a body; 2 a soul
Saratoga, Ca
Joined Feb 2004
1,462 Posts
Hi SJ, maybe drifting off from EXPLORER a bit. No 2.4 yet, but I do like the benefits of no freq issues w/2.4. Actually, three/four times now Ive gone online, got to the click "order" button on 9303 2.4 but reconsidered each time. I have heard of several issues, not just on this forum, of 2.4 lockout
but have also heard a lot of good things about 2.4 as well. Its just new to me but sooner or later will probably take the plunge. Not bashing it just want to be sure it is reliable, especially when flying somewhat unobtainable planes. NO MORE 2.4 POSTS FROM ME IN THIS THREAD, sorry about drifting off.
Walter
glderguy is offline Find More Posts by glderguy
Old Jan 21, 2009, 11:37 AM
Bolingbrook, Illinois
Joined Nov 2007
249 Posts
no radio problems here!

At the WC, I flew what I knew worked flawlessly for me. My Futaba zap synthesized tx's and synth futaba recievers. Ive had the TX's since the year they came out some almost 20 years ago.
I had a hard time convincing myself and decided to not take a chance and use a somewhat new 2.4 'whisker' system.

For the record, we had to switch the teams individual positions around once we arrived at the WC.
I was going to do most of the throwing for the team but doing alot of bungy practice before leaving for the event, I did some bad nerve damage to my opposite throwing arm and couldnt throw when I got to Turkey.
I lost a Supra at practice when the power of our towers pulled the plane (stab), throught the throwers hands.
I lost another Supra during the comp. when I launched into lift in about a 18 + mph frontal wind . Richard
Rich Burnoski is offline Find More Posts by Rich Burnoski
Old Jan 21, 2009, 11:43 AM
Joined Jan 2004
919 Posts
Rich,

Hope the arm is all better now? thx for the update , I think Ben was the only team member on 2.4..... you and DP on 72?

sj
SmokinJoe101 is offline Find More Posts by SmokinJoe101
Old Jan 21, 2009, 11:52 AM
RIP MC
Joined Dec 2003
3,379 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Burnoski
The JR 3421sa- the 'sa' stands for special applications. I accidently used one on my Espada R instead of a standard JR-3421. The gear train failed on the first extra hard dork landing. Apparently this is the wrong applications.
I replaced the gear set with the gear set that is used in the JR-3421 standard. Works perfect!!!
I suggest not to use JR3421sa on anything except maybe v-tails where there is much less loads.

The JR 3421 standard and the Volz Micro Max Digis have given me the best service on all my planes for competition. I never blew a gear train with any of them.
I had thought about this and using the 3421SA on ele for it's precision, but reading how it can fail on launch made me stop.

I can see how this is. As you dip and zoom, the servo is seeing the most stress at this time as it tries to move elevator down then up at such a quick turnaround (if dip/zooming correctly) and the stab is usually bending right around now to, that's a lot of stress on the servo. Also, being a coreless motor, it can stop and reverse faster than a std motor so that too puts more stress on the gears.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 01:17 PM
WINS - Winch In Nose Sailplane
USA, NH
Joined Mar 2008
3,109 Posts
Thanks Tuan. I just epoxied in the first flap servo frame and will see how it all works later tonight.

Preston
jaizon is offline Find More Posts by jaizon
Old Jan 21, 2009, 01:55 PM
Fly R/C writer
Redlands, Ca
Joined Dec 2004
1,975 Posts
At the WC, Ben was on 2.4 and although I also flew 2.4, it was not in the actual WC event, but in the Spor Yapi Cup event, held the 2 days before the WC competition began. I had no issues. The one loss that was referred to was a Junior aircraft that was on 72-mHz, range checked okay, and then when it was brought to the line, did not respond on the ground. It was ditched for that flight and then they thought they had it figured out. It got into the air and it went blind about 900-ft away and at 500 ft. Never did figure out why that I know of.

Mike
mlee8249 is offline Find More Posts by mlee8249
Old Jan 21, 2009, 04:08 PM
Joined Oct 2003
1,924 Posts
Tuan, in regard to the 3421SA I want to point out that it will not just fail by itself on launch. It was designed for the Jet Guys, where slop, centering, and holding power are the prime factors in choosing a servo. Unfortunately for us it does have a combination Gear train, and it will not tolerate an impulse shock transferred through the Elevator pushrod form the mass of the Stab on a dork landing. Once a tooth on a servo is compromised it is a just a matter of time before it peels. And For you guys that are still on the fence about 2.4...... It doesn't Work, it never has, it never will, it is a vast conspiracy by the model manufacturers to sell more models. I have been secretly flying on 27 for the last 4 years because all the other guys moved on to 72mhz. Larry
Larry Jolly is offline Find More Posts by Larry Jolly
Old Jan 21, 2009, 04:21 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,854 Posts
Finally a real answer on the dreaded 3421SA-or-not issue....
Sounds like I better go with the standard model for a contest use, but for sport flying without intentional dork landings, then the SA will be OK.

Thank you, LJ.

Target
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old Jan 21, 2009, 04:39 PM
Win=span\massXpractice+lu ck
Joined Jul 2007
3,091 Posts

It doesn't Work, it never has, it never will, it is a vast conspiracy by the model manufacturers to sell more models. I have been secretly flying on 27 for the last 4 years because all the other guys moved on to 72mhz. Larry

End Quote

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I soo knew this all along! I bet EX pres Bush created 2.4 too.

Glad thats cleared up. Larry, dude you have balls to just bring this out like that..
webbsolution is offline Find More Posts by webbsolution
Old Jan 21, 2009, 05:04 PM
MSgt, USAF Ret.
USA, WA, Spokane
Joined Nov 2003
1,356 Posts
LJ has spoken!

Crap, now I'll have to buy metal gears for my 3421SA servos. Better to find out now instead of at a contest.

Now I'll go checkout the "For Sale" forum to see who's selling all their 2.4 stuff; might find some great deals!

Jim
Jim Frahm is offline Find More Posts by Jim Frahm
Old Jan 21, 2009, 05:08 PM
RIP MC
Joined Dec 2003
3,379 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Jolly
Tuan, in regard to the 3421SA I want to point out that it will not just fail by itself on launch. It was designed for the Jet Guys, where slop, centering, and holding power are the prime factors in choosing a servo. Unfortunately for us it does have a combination Gear train, and it will not tolerate an impulse shock transferred through the Elevator pushrod form the mass of the Stab on a dork landing. Once a tooth on a servo is compromised it is a just a matter of time before it peels. And For you guys that are still on the fence about 2.4...... It doesn't Work, it never has, it never will, it is a vast conspiracy by the model manufacturers to sell more models. I have been secretly flying on 27 for the last 4 years because all the other guys moved on to 72mhz. Larry
Lol Larry. Ok, I'll let my secret out. I'm buying a JR 9303 2.4 just because of you... and ...well...DLG that is.... They do and always have had the best and best selection of RX's in my opinion. I was flying a few JR 700's with my Futaba for a while.

SO now I should hae the best of both worlds eh?
Hehehe,
Tuan
Old Jan 21, 2009, 10:15 PM
Bro
Southern California
Joined Feb 2003
1,949 Posts
Xplorer

LJ,
You promised you would not spill the beans! Now, everyone knows about the "plan"!

BB
Bro is offline Find More Posts by Bro
Site Sponsor