SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 16, 2013, 01:27 PM
Win=span\massXpractice+lu ck
Joined Jul 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFragnasty View Post
I had one of those memorable days flying today with the Xplorer. It's summer here and hot. Lots of lift available but fast moving and energetic.

As soon as I arrived at our local field, I rigged the Xplorer 3.5 full-carbon before setting the winch up; it's a good strategy to stall a bit if the wind is fickle and you can't tell which way to run a line. Usually five minutes is enough to tell which way to lay out your winch.

I gave the Xplorer a few hand launches in the gusty hot conditions and hooked a boomer on the last throw and spent the next 45 mins hurtling around the sky at considerable height.; who needs a winch?

The Xplorer is just so easy to hook a thermal turn and core it. My thermal camber is minimal so the drag is low and airspeed relatively high and this allows you to bank and crank and maintain speed while grappling and chasing small thermals.

After 30mins my mate Steve arrives and noticed the lack of winch and yet the Xplorer was sky-high and 1/2 mile downwind.

Testimony to a great glider.

I've got a Pike Perfect ET Spread Tow on the way so the comparison might be interesting.

Chris.
I was trying for this literally for years and it was not until I basically had my setup changed drastically by Daryl Perkins that it happened. Now it happens all the time and it never gets old.

Last season I was at a contest (low key) and between rounds I had my Sl out hand launching with a guy throwing a DLG beside me. I thought ill let him throw, see when his 9 once plane pops and then fly underneath! However I read the lift differently and his plane was not giving me what I needed so I started throwing at the same time - Its pretty fun when you can win an All up Last down round against a DLG with a 3.8 meter plane! ok it only happened once but that was enough!

Packing up for SWC today -
webbsolution is offline Find More Posts by webbsolution
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 16, 2013, 01:58 PM
kdt
Joined Feb 2007
430 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by webbsolution View Post

Packing up for SWC today -
Have a great time at the SWC David. We are in Hawaii . No models with me. See you on your return.
kdt is offline Find More Posts by kdt
Old Feb 16, 2013, 02:02 PM
Joined Jul 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdt View Post
Have a great time at the SWC David. We are in Hawaii . No models with me. See you on your return.
Absolutely ! Phoenix this month - Vegas in March - need some sun !

Finishing the fosa Lift today as well - and all I have to do for the High end is throw in an RX and we could hit the slope. Eagle is on my list this season.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 09:44 PM
Australia, VIC, Croydon
Joined May 2011
95 Posts
Xplorer 4m LT E Build

Just finished the build of my Xplorer 4m LT Electric last weekend.

Maiden flight on Tuesday was in a word ----fantastic.

Had a friend launch her for me and took her to height to trim for Cruise----a couple of circuits and then I landed in front of myself ---slower than I could walk.

Picked her up and immediately launched her myself --- trimmed her for Thermal 2mm and Super Thermal 4mm.

Checked Snap Flaps.

Landing was another non event, ( with Crow)

What a great all round Sports Glider ----Beautiful from any angle ---- here's a few photos .

Regards Keith
keithmoor is offline Find More Posts by keithmoor
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:28 PM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jul 2012
5 Posts
Xplorer 4m LT E

Just received my Xplorer 4m E Lite last week.

There is no manual with the delivered box. How do you go about assembly, determining control surface throws, CG location, figuring out servo tray fabrication and location?

There is not any material to even fab the servo tray from. Does this sound like what you got with your package?
fledgling is offline Find More Posts by fledgling
Old Feb 21, 2013, 02:44 AM
Australia, VIC, Croydon
Joined May 2011
95 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fledgling View Post
Just received my Xplorer 4m E Lite last week.

There is no manual with the delivered box. How do you go about assembly, determining control surface throws, CG location, figuring out servo tray fabrication and location?

There is not any material to even fab the servo tray from. Does this sound like what you got with your package?
I'm in Oz --and I received exactly the same as you( nothing) ---I research the forums and averaged the throws etc.

Will fine tune to my flying style as I go along .

My last electric Glider ( also my first 3m mouldie) was a Strega which started out at 3200grms.

My AUW with 4s 2200mah is @ 2500grms on this bird = 56% better Wing loading than my last ---yours being a Lite will be better.

Have a look at the Xplorer 4m ST E builds ---Regards Keith
keithmoor is offline Find More Posts by keithmoor
Old Mar 01, 2013, 11:50 PM
Always more to Xplore
near Sacramento, CA
Joined Aug 2010
842 Posts
Ballast kit fit problem

I just received a ballast kit from SUSA and the weight sections are too fat (0.58") to fit both my X4.0-ST and X3.8-ST ballast guide holes. Am I correct in guessing I'm supposed to use a long round file and file out the ballast guide hole under the wing?

Also, the ballast pieces came without any plastic box that I've seen others using with their kits. Wondering if this is a recent omission.

Chris B.
SoaringDude is offline Find More Posts by SoaringDude
Old Mar 02, 2013, 01:31 AM
Joined Jul 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoaringDude View Post
I just received a ballast kit from SUSA and the weight sections are too fat (0.58") to fit both my X4.0-ST and X3.8-ST ballast guide holes. Am I correct in guessing I'm supposed to use a long round file and file out the ballast guide hole under the wing?

Also, the ballast pieces came without any plastic box that I've seen others using with their kits. Wondering if this is a recent omission.

Chris B.
Chris - we all had the same problem - The rods are a tight fit for the retainer hole - what you will find is that the knurled sections are what is preventing the insertion - you can very slowly turn the ballast until the knurls work the opening a little larger or stick a file down there and essentially do the same. OR take a grinder and remove some of the knurled section keeping in mind you only need to do a couple sections because only 1-2 go past that ring.
Old Mar 02, 2013, 01:32 AM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,762 Posts
I'm not sure but I believe the ring has an I'd of about 14mm, or about 9/16".
I would first try to determine what the I'd of your ring is.
To do this, get a 1/2" dowel and start building up the end with tape.

Then I'd compare that to the OD of the ballast pieces.
If it off by a lot, I would call SUSA and ask if maybe the last set of kits was possibly too fat.
If off by a little, I would make a stepped sander from the same 1/2" dowel with tape and sandpaper.

HTH,
Target
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old Mar 02, 2013, 01:32 AM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,762 Posts
I'm not sure but I believe the ring has an I'd of about 14mm, or about 9/16".
I would first try to determine what the I'd of your ring is.
To do this, get a 1/2" dowel and start building up the end with tape.

Then I'd compare that to the OD of the ballast pieces.
If it off by a lot, I would call SUSA and ask if maybe the last set of kits was possibly too fat.
If off by a little, I would make a stepped sander from the same 1/2" dowel with tape and sandpaper.

HTH,
Target
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old Mar 02, 2013, 11:19 AM
Always more to Xplore
near Sacramento, CA
Joined Aug 2010
842 Posts
David and Target, thanks for the helpful info. Based on the fact that they don't fit and that they didn't come with the carrying box (from website below) I'm going to wait until Monday to talk to SUSA. Maybe they just sent me an irregular set.

Old Mar 02, 2013, 11:23 AM
Joined Jul 2007
3,088 Posts
thats looks like what I have -

One more thing - keep in mind you could have some epoxy in the ring from assembly too! Shine a light down there -

Can you get the first section of the ballast, before the knurls start into the ring Chris ??
Old Mar 02, 2013, 12:04 PM
Always more to Xplore
near Sacramento, CA
Joined Aug 2010
842 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by webbsolution View Post
Can you get the first section of the ballast, before the knurls start into the ring Chris ??
I can push the non-knurled end thru by wiggling/squeezing it thru on the 4.0 but not on the 3.8. Would definitely take work on both with a longer round file than I currently own.
Old Mar 02, 2013, 12:22 PM
Bro
Southern California
Joined Feb 2003
1,946 Posts
X ballast

Howdy,

We increased the diameter of the ballast kits to get guys more ballast they asked for. The downside is it is a tight fit and may require a 5minute adjustment.
The slugs no longer fit into the plastic cases either, we are looking for new cases to accommodate the new kits. Once we find the new boxes we will send them to anyone who did not get one.

We are also working on a even heavier slug from tungsten to get even more ballast in the X.

Best
Bob
Bro is offline Find More Posts by Bro
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 02, 2013, 12:32 PM
Always more to Xplore
near Sacramento, CA
Joined Aug 2010
842 Posts
Thanks for the info Bob. I think I'll go with Target's suggestion of taping sandpaper to a 1/2" OD rod and using that. Update: two-sided tape and sandpaper on a rod worked great. And I found a temporary box for the ballast until Bob sends a new one.
Last edited by SoaringDude; Mar 02, 2013 at 01:50 PM.