HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 05, 2012, 05:00 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,821 Posts
I have a 3.7 ST... Yeah, I ordered it... It's a 3.5 everything, except the center panel, which is from a 4.0. If I remember correctly, it weighs about 68 oz. all up. I don't have these kinds of problems. My X 3.7 and my I2 share a characteristic in the percentages of aileron size to the rest of the wing. Both have more than 50% of the span in flap and less than 50% in aileron... which is the main reason I wanted the 3.7configuration. They seem to both handle slow flight very well, and there's no noticable difference in their handling. Given that the X has the smaller 3.5 vertical, I am thinking that the aileron size may be getting too large on some of these models and at low speeds are overpowering the rudder with adverse yaw at times... making for the dicey handling at low speeds you guys are experiencing... Oddly, the X 3.8 adds aileron to the 3.5 without adding rudder area. I have only flown one briefly a couple of years ago and don't remember that much about it.

Is it hot in here? Oh, no, it's the gears in my noggin... friction, you know...
schrederman is online now Find More Posts by schrederman
Last edited by schrederman; Oct 05, 2012 at 05:06 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 08, 2012, 09:56 PM
Thermal Wrangler
Launceston Tasmania
Joined Mar 2004
2,127 Posts
Xplorer Vid | Spring Thermals

Spring is here! Spring is here!

Springlift (10 min 39 sec)

Chris.
DrFragnasty is online now Find More Posts by DrFragnasty
Old Oct 08, 2012, 10:24 PM
Ricky Windsock
USA, FL, Sanford
Joined Nov 2008
1,604 Posts
Nice one Chris. Aero routine was cool too
Countryside is making me homesick. (My mother was an Archer from VDL)
Gordon
aussief3b is offline Find More Posts by aussief3b
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 10, 2012, 01:16 AM
Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada
Joined Jun 2002
65 Posts
D-Sub Connector Mounting

Just wondering about how others mounted the D-Sub connector in the wing. Did you mount the connector with screws?

The bottom surface of the mounting recess for the connector in my wing was very thin while the fuselage recess was thick enough to drill and tap for 4-40 screws.

I decided to glue a threaded mounting bracket to the back side of the wing recess. The second picture shows it being jacked into position while the epoxy dries. A connector was slipped over the jack screws to keep everything aligned. The screws press against a piece of 1/8" door skin sitting against the interior of the top surface.

I've also reworked the servo tray by milling out an area for a ply servo tray which I will epoxy in place. I'm using Airtronics 94761 servos for everything. The rudder and elevator servos are offset 2mm from center.
MikeKucera is online now Find More Posts by MikeKucera
Old Nov 10, 2012, 01:47 AM
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Sep 2008
2,497 Posts
Bad edit and cheap camera .. but a quick glimpse of where we fly I have 2 x gopro's now to put on so I will get some good vids up.

XPLORER 3.8M full length fun fly on a Sunday. No edit :) great scenery. (5 min 2 sec)
AlpineDSacro is offline Find More Posts by AlpineDSacro
Last edited by AlpineDSacro; Nov 10, 2012 at 01:50 AM. Reason: ignore the date, I don't know how to change it ?
Old Nov 10, 2012, 02:48 AM
Go ahead. Meme me!
Thousand Oaks, CA
Joined Mar 2004
2,627 Posts
Nice work Mike, I usually CA a little square of plywood behind each screw hole in the wing and use wood (sheet metal) screws to secure the DB9. A more crude method that I really can't argue with is to simply secure the connector with goop instead of screws. It's light, quick, flexible, and serviceable. Many folks just jam wood screws into the flimsy wing skin and it seems to hold just fine.

I like your servo offset work, some manufacturers cleverly include these offsets and it's disappointing that NAN does not but I'm amazed at the number of people who install the servos exactly opposite of the intent. Generally the challenge is to get the servo arms short enough to work optimally and often you can't get the servo close enough to the fuselage sides to prevent obscene bends in the pushrod. Since you've gone to all the trouble of making a retrofit plate, instead of an arbitrary 2mm offset you should take a minute to determine the exact correct position:

Move your rudder/elevator thru the full travel range and measure how far the pushrod moves fore/aft in the cockpit. Multiply that number by 0.7 and that's exactly where the hole should be on your servo arm. Make the arm, attach a clevis and then you can see/measure exactly how close the servo should be to the side of the fuselage.
vespa is offline Find More Posts by vespa
Old Nov 10, 2012, 09:32 AM
Jyvaskyla, Finland
Joined Aug 2003
2,434 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeKucera View Post
Just wondering about how others mounted the D-Sub connector in the wing. Did you mount the connector with screws?

The bottom surface of the mounting recess for the connector in my wing was very thin while the fuselage recess was thick enough to drill and tap for 4-40 screws.

I decided to glue a threaded mounting bracket to the back side of the wing recess. The second picture shows it being jacked into position while the epoxy dries. A connector was slipped over the jack screws to keep everything aligned. The screws press against a piece of 1/8" door skin sitting against the interior of the top surface.
Nice work but maybe a bit of overengineering I drill holes, try to find suitable srews from scrap box and a little epoxy if the threads let go (do not trust on them).

I share your feelings about Xplorer servo plate but epoxy & plywood will fix everything
Tuomo is offline Find More Posts by Tuomo
Old Nov 10, 2012, 02:24 PM
Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada
Joined Jun 2002
65 Posts
2mm Offset

The 2mm offset is based on the servo arms, ball links and servo travel (up to the max 60 degrees) I'm using. I've also made my own horn for the rudder. The wooden ballast bar is just to check clearances.
MikeKucera is online now Find More Posts by MikeKucera
Old Nov 10, 2012, 06:16 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,763 Posts
That looks like a GREAT install to me;
You probably know this already, but make sure to secure your push rod housings well to the inside of the nose near their ends.
Enjoy your Xplorer!

R,
Target

ALSO, add a little tape on both sides over the shaft that the bellcrank is on (as seen in one of your rudder horn pics). These can possibly become loose after a crash or hard landings. Its cheap insurance.
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Last edited by target; Nov 10, 2012 at 11:13 PM.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 09:52 PM
United States, AZ, Buckeye
Joined Mar 2010
649 Posts
Servos look just a tad bit to big. Nice install.

Joe
J. Wydronek is offline Find More Posts by J. Wydronek
Old Nov 10, 2012, 10:31 PM
Win=span\massXpractice+lu ck
Joined Jul 2007
3,088 Posts
Too big for what ? Those servos don't even fit into the precut servo tray on the X series as it is they are just a few M too small. You can get away with a smaller Rudder servo but if you are going to fly any contests and do consistent dork landings you may find that pounding tiny servos with surfaces as large as a rudder will prematurely wear the smaller servos out. Unless you are going for an ultra SL build and the extra .25 oz will throw off the CG then adding some beef in the fuze has zero downsides.

- Nice install - I just use a kevlar\glass plate to span that gap instead of the extra work routing out the factory tray but that sure looks clean.
webbsolution is online now Find More Posts by webbsolution
Old Nov 10, 2012, 10:51 PM
Forest Lake, Minnesota
Joined Apr 2003
543 Posts
I used hot melt glue to install the harness. Super easy install. I connected the harness to the wing and put two beads of hot melt on the fuse and put the wing on. Perfect fit and alignment in 60 seconds and easy to remove with heat gun.
Ib Jensen is offline Find More Posts by Ib Jensen
Old Nov 10, 2012, 11:03 PM
United States, AZ, Buckeye
Joined Mar 2010
649 Posts
David

Jesus don't get your panties all bunched up. It was a joke.

J.
J. Wydronek is offline Find More Posts by J. Wydronek
Old Nov 11, 2012, 12:48 AM
Flightcomp.com
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Apr 2006
1,714 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Wydronek View Post
David

J.
Panties are often bunched in the F3X forums, the DLG guys have a better sense of humor.
ak79 is online now Find More Posts by ak79
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 11, 2012, 11:45 AM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Miami Lakes, Florida, USA
Joined Mar 2003
8,486 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Wydronek View Post
David

J.
I don't blame webbsolution for assuming you were serious. You sounded perfectly serious to me as well, and he made some good points in his post #6206. I don't think you should insult other people with comments about "panties" just because you failed at your attempt to communicate humor.
Miami Mike is offline Find More Posts by Miami Mike