HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 20, 2011, 02:38 PM
USA, CA, Seal Beach
Joined Aug 2010
233 Posts
Does anyone have a used Xplorer 3.5 center panel they want to get rid of?

Thx
Matt
lblife is offline Find More Posts by lblife
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 20, 2011, 05:36 PM
Sherman Knight
Kirkland Washington
Joined Feb 2002
1,091 Posts
I have panels

Steve, I have a center panel and two left and two right aileron panels. Send me your direct email so I can send you some photos. For some reason the wont past into this post.

Sherman Knight
duworm@aol.com
duworm is offline Find More Posts by duworm
Old Jul 20, 2011, 05:41 PM
USA, CA, Seal Beach
Joined Aug 2010
233 Posts
Email sent

Thx
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by duworm View Post
Steve, I have a center panel and two left and two right aileron panels. Send me your direct email so I can send you some photos. For some reason the wont past into this post.

Sherman Knight
duworm@aol.com
lblife is offline Find More Posts by lblife
Old Jul 21, 2011, 06:24 PM
USA, CT, Stamford
Joined Jun 2006
521 Posts
Considering replacing battery pack with A123

How many of you have made the switch to A123 or LiFe type batteries?
Mathelo is offline Find More Posts by Mathelo
Old Jul 21, 2011, 06:42 PM
United States, FL, Punta Gorda
Joined Dec 2007
53 Posts
3 years ago! The real A123's. Now; LIFE as "A" grade A123 Racing cells are no longer available.

Never looked back.

DR
rrunkel is offline Find More Posts by rrunkel
Old Jul 21, 2011, 06:50 PM
LSF V,LSF Secretary,AMA Lifer
Huntsville
Joined Oct 2003
2,077 Posts
I've switched over. No more Nimh allowed in my planes or Tx. Good riddance.
Robglover is offline Find More Posts by Robglover
Old Jul 21, 2011, 06:55 PM
USA, CT, Stamford
Joined Jun 2006
521 Posts
So what is a good size A123 for the Xplorer?
Old Jul 21, 2011, 07:46 PM
Sink Stinks
Orange County, CA
Joined Aug 2004
4,574 Posts
I use the Hyperion LiFePO4 packs in my 3.8 Xplorer and Aspire. I use the 1450 in the Xplorer and a 2100 in the Aspire.
Silent-AV8R is offline Find More Posts by Silent-AV8R
Old Jul 21, 2011, 08:45 PM
KC6ZZS
Newport Beach, CA USA
Joined Apr 2008
246 Posts
Been at work (in Tokyo right now). A few questions were directed at me, so I'll start with the most recent.

I use ail-flap mixing when I need to maneuver. So I have it in Cruise Mode and Speed Mode (mostly for dodging mid-airs in the zoom). I don't use it in steady thermal circles (Thermal mode). I also want of turned off when I lower landing flaps (causes too much adverse yawing with flaps down).

Tuans definitions for Thermal Mode and Float mode are correct, but the camber settings may not be. I use 1.5-2mm for Float and 3.5-4mm for Thermal. In both cases you're trying to stay at min sink AOA (max CL), but in thermalling, you have the load factor (G loading) to deal with. Normally, you would be at a little higher airspeed to keep the same AOA (G's have the same effect as adding ballast). However, I think the tendency is to fly a bit too slow while tugging on the stick. In that case, a little more camber might help. Also, for tight thermals, you'll be pulling and reducing the airspeed to tighten the turn radius without using excessive bank. If you're gonna slide a bit off the L/D curve to the left, you'll need a bit more camber to stay at min drag.

So, buy this reasoning, straight and level Float would need less camber. You just have to do a lot of early morning glide tests and see what the best camber setting is. It could be a clean and in-section, or more camber. For the Aspire and 4M, I've been pretty happy at 2mm. Overdoing a good thing can be bad, so I don't think throwing in a whole lot of camber without testing is a great idea. Besides, the 4M wing already has plenty of camber built in.

Tuan likes to do testing, so if he comes up with some test data that says 4mm works better for Float, then I'd use it. I've just been to lazy to try beyond 2mm. Although dead air is one of my favorite conditions, I seldom get a chance to practice in those conditions. Perhaps I should experiment, but it's easier to steal Tuan's data. Thanks Tuan
Ben Clerx is offline Find More Posts by Ben Clerx
Old Jul 21, 2011, 08:55 PM
KC6ZZS
Newport Beach, CA USA
Joined Apr 2008
246 Posts
On top of all that, I do most of my thermalling at shallow bank angles, so I tend to use Float mode for most of my thermalling and Thermal mode only when I need steep turns (I've also used launch flaps for low altitude tight thermals). So, I tend to not even use those terms. I click in whatever camber I think I need. On my Tx menu, I just happened to call them Float and Thermal. I could have called them Thermal1 and Thermal2.
Ben Clerx is offline Find More Posts by Ben Clerx
Old Jul 21, 2011, 08:56 PM
WINS - Winch In Nose Sailplane
USA, NH
Joined Mar 2008
3,109 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathelo View Post
LiFe in all my planes now. Got to have servos that will handle it.
Also switched my 12x over.
Love them. Fast charge at the field. Not expensive. Just have to watch your time.
jaizon is offline Find More Posts by jaizon
Old Jul 21, 2011, 09:11 PM
Eggcellent...
United States, CA, Orange
Joined Oct 2006
2,471 Posts
Quote:
Over a year ago...A123 1,100s in F3J planes, LiFe 1,450s in F3B planes. Also went to Eneloops for my TXs.

Tom
tewatson is offline Find More Posts by tewatson
Old Jul 21, 2011, 10:02 PM
Sink Stinks
Orange County, CA
Joined Aug 2004
4,574 Posts
I really like Eneloops in TX use as well. I use them in my radios that take AA packs. The Hyperion TX packs are also very cool. For me the main thing is no lost charge between uses (or very little)
Old Jul 21, 2011, 10:41 PM
USA, CT, Stamford
Joined Jun 2006
521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaizon View Post
LiFe in all my planes now. Got to have servos that will handle it.
Also switched my 12x over.
Love them. Fast charge at the field. Not expensive. Just have to watch your time.
How can I find out if my servos can handle it?
Old Jul 21, 2011, 10:58 PM
Sink Stinks
Orange County, CA
Joined Aug 2004
4,574 Posts
Quote:
How can I find out if my servos can handle it?
In general if your servos are rated for 6 volts they will be fine. I am running a bunch of 4.8volt rated Futaba 3150 servos on unregulated LiFePO4 without any issues. It does become especially important to make sure your linkages are free with no binding, but that is good practice regardless of what kind of battery you are using.