HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 15, 2008, 12:24 PM
Sofia, Bulgaria
Joined Sep 2003
180 Posts
Sebastian is German Champion and Benedikt is German Champion Juniors- last weekend with Xplorer.
Sotir is offline Find More Posts by Sotir
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 15, 2008, 12:45 PM
Norway
Joined Dec 2003
1,475 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotir
Sebastian is German Champion and Benedikt is German Champion Juniors- last weekend with Xplorer.
Well done of them!
But is Benedict becoming 18 this year? I thought he was to become 19 this year (in so case a senior)
jojoen is offline Find More Posts by jojoen
Old Jul 15, 2008, 12:59 PM
Sofia, Bulgaria
Joined Sep 2003
180 Posts
in Germany have two types of Juniors. One is called "Jugend" (youth) with age up to 18 years, the second is called "Junioren" (Juniors) with age 18 to 25 years.
Sotir is offline Find More Posts by Sotir
Old Jul 15, 2008, 01:04 PM
Norway
Joined Dec 2003
1,475 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotir
in Germany have two types of Juniors. One is called "Jugend" (youth) with age up to 18 years, the second is called "Junioren" (Juniors) with age 18 to 25 years.
OK thanks
Old Jul 15, 2008, 01:05 PM
jrerickson
Valencia, CA
Joined Jan 2005
824 Posts
Xplorer V

Bob,

You said you might get a few of the v tails. Would these be a one piece v or two piece removable?

John
jrerickson is offline Find More Posts by jrerickson
Old Jul 15, 2008, 01:43 PM
Fly R/C writer
Redlands, Ca
Joined Dec 2004
1,977 Posts
Well, let's be honest with this. The level of quality, capabilities and design criteria of the top models are very similar, and that is what makes all of them very good models to fly and own. Getting great flight times with the ability to cover large patches of air is now the norm, compared to only 10-years ago. Ford, Chevy, Chrysler, Honda, Toyota, Mazda....they all make a car that can go down the road and get you from point A to point B efficiently. Pike, Supra, Shadow, Xplorer, Sharon, Espada....all get into the air and can thermal from 9:59 down to 0:01 efficiently. It then goes to the realm of the pilot. Can the pilot make this machine perform. No matter how good the plane, if the nut behind the sticks can't twiddle them correctly, it doesn't matter.

So, what is in the plane? It's the comfort level. Some planes cruise easier than others. Espada is probably considered more of a hotrod than the rest, but some people prefer a faster plane. The Shadow is pretty much a hands-off plane...it just cruises along nicely without much input from the pilot. Some pilots prefer this. Not every plane can be everything to everybody. Me? I prefer a plane that is easy to fly, thermals very well, has a fast roll rate and rapid pitch, and has great airbrakes. I don't like to fly a fast plane all the time, like my X-21 or my older Excelsior, but in the right conditions, they are great. So, in the case of this new bird, the Xplorer, we now have yet another plane to choose from in a marketplace of other very good model designs. Variety is the spice of life. Xplorer is another spice!
mlee8249 is offline Find More Posts by mlee8249
Old Jul 15, 2008, 01:43 PM
In F3J size does matter!
Israel
Joined Nov 2006
865 Posts
All of today's planes are designed using the same tools, this is why most of today's planes have a similar chord distribution throughout the wing (nearly elliptical), similar airfoils (developed using X-foil usually based on Drela's concepts), similar stability margins (similar dihedral angle and tail volume) and similar construction, similar weights and so on.

The thing is that the Supra was there first to set the tone and the Perfect, which was greatly influenced by the Supra and Icon, took it a step in a slightly different direction (fuse, size, thicker airfoils).
Planes like the High End and Aspire also took it into their own direction but used the same basic concepts.

The Explorer, in comparison to the Perfect, doesn't seem to bring anything new to the table aside from availability, price (remains to be seen) and a choice.

Even the Xperience when it first came out was remarkably similar to the Superior, a fine plane, cheaper, and easier to obtain at that time.
I'm sure the Xplorer is a good model, capable of similar performance to the Perfect, though I doubt its better. Not that I think the perfect will out perform the Xplorer, I think that since they have virtually the same span, area, airfoils, weight, stability and so on, its all a matter of look, feel and Pilot, not the name.

I'm just interested to see what Samba will come up with as a response...

Anyway its nice to see something different on the flying field, when all the planes are the same it gets a little boring.
roydor is offline Find More Posts by roydor
Old Jul 15, 2008, 02:06 PM
Norway
Joined Dec 2003
1,475 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by roydor
snipp..

Anyway its nice to see something different on the flying field, when all the planes are the same it gets a little boring.
Very interresting point. When I found myself "on the ground" in the WC finals I sometimes wondered how to see who was who in the air. Found myself looking for the pilot first to check where he looked and then find the plane. Only difference was Benedict flying a V-tail... Was easier to spot
Anyhow with the more equal performances of the planes I find it more interresting to follow a group I am not in. It is more up to the pilot and his spotter than before.
Old Jul 15, 2008, 02:22 PM
Joined Mar 2008
47 Posts
With more sponsored pilots posting on the web its important to note that these are opinions not matter of fact. Not every new thing is the latest and greatest -spice or no spice - there is no reason to get caught up in the smallest midget syndrome.
Jetz17 is offline Find More Posts by Jetz17
Old Jul 15, 2008, 02:33 PM
Europe - Belgium
Joined Mar 2005
1,521 Posts
Hello highstarter
Jurgen is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen
Old Jul 15, 2008, 03:35 PM
Joined Oct 2003
1,926 Posts
Touche Jurgen !!! By the way who is Jetz17 ?????
All the "Top Planes" will do the task. It is very normal for people to have an interest in a new model especially one that has just won the worlds. I predict that there will be 3 new models for F3J next year. I hope that the designers are taking in to account the new landing rule. The new designs must not only launch fast, but must handle well and behave in the landing circle. And Oh yea, I still hang with those opinionated sponsored pilots. LJ
Larry Jolly is offline Find More Posts by Larry Jolly
Old Jul 15, 2008, 04:04 PM
Fly R/C writer
Redlands, Ca
Joined Dec 2004
1,977 Posts
Back to the details of the Xplorer.

As mentioned before, I can't provide a build blog as the rights belong to someone else. But, as of this moment, the plane is equipped with JR 3421 servos on flaps, and JR 368's everywhere else. A Spektrum AR7000 Rx is in the nose and the remote Rx is in the top of the canopy. Power is a pair of Li-Ion cells, running power management through a Castle Creations BEC limited to 6-V. Current weight is now 72 oz (2040 grams), and it will require about 35 grams in the nose to bring the balance to 102-mm back from LE. This will make the balance at about 38% from center LE. This will be a safe position to start from and we will go from there. Just about ready to get her airborne.

At a projected AUW of 74 oz (2097 gm), this will give us a wingloading of 9.26 oz/sq-ft. Now, if you look at the wing area from the drawings, it states a wing area of 75.85 dm square. Converted to square inches, this is 1175, and I used 1150 to make my wingloading weight. But, using the specified wing area of 1175, the wingloading works out to 9.07 oz/sq-ft. ...Wow! Can you say kite? I have done nothing to save weight at all. Normally I will replace the metal pushrod in the tail boom with CF rods and try to skimp on anything I can to cut weight to the tail. But with this low a wing loading, why bother? I also would not have to add weight to the nose, as my normal equipment load out would include a digital volt meter and the JR Flight data logger. But, there is not enough room up front for these guys, so they are left out and the lead shot to the nose is a must for balance.

All for now.
Thanks!
mlee8249 is offline Find More Posts by mlee8249
Old Jul 15, 2008, 06:14 PM
Estonia,Tartu
Joined Jan 2005
329 Posts
Difference

With sutch a light wngloading its great to fly on a calm day with ease to find a good thermal .Cover ground . But bringing out a difference between P.Perfect and Xplorer .
As you can see from the illustrated plans of poth the planes .The P.Perfect has bit more forward sweep so it might have an effect on the lift distribution near the root and change some of the flying characteristcs by the different angles of force applyed by the lift forces to the three dimensional flying axis of the whole airframe and the Perfect has a shorter lenght too ,but the bigger problem is lift coenficent number near the tip what might bring some more induced drag . . So maybe Pike Perfect seems a little better that The Explorer.
Charged is offline Find More Posts by Charged
Old Jul 15, 2008, 07:07 PM
F3J Nut
London UK
Joined Jul 2005
44 Posts
My Xplorer V tail version weighs 1840g, full carbon. I think thats 65 oz and it floats for sure, maybe a little light if there is some breeze above 10mph but great for dead slots. I have only managed to fly it a few times in winds 5-10 mph and it penetrates very well even with such a low wing loading. Flying mine at CG 107 at the moment but a little unsure of the sweet spot, maybe further forward. It feels more pitch sensitive than a Shadow for example, this may be due to lighter weight and where I have the CG.
I used similar settings to the Shadow for throws, but had to cut them down a little, the control surfaces are quiet large and powerful.

More testing.........
Austin is offline Find More Posts by Austin
Old Jul 15, 2008, 10:47 PM
Stamford, CT
Joined Feb 2002
476 Posts
Roydor claims the Xplorer has everything the same as the PP including the airfoil. I thought the Xplorer airfoil was a Martin Herrig design optimized for F3J. I thought the PP airfoil was a PK design also designed for F3J. I'd be very surprised if the airfoils are the same. This could explain the performance advantage of the Xplorer. Correct me if I am wrong.

George
SaltyOne is offline Find More Posts by SaltyOne