SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 08, 2010, 12:34 AM
agony sweetns the victory
Any Flying Field Across America
Joined Jul 2005
3,515 Posts
T, I was planning to use Hyperion DS09 SCD servos in my AVA Pro's spoilers and then I was advised what is on Hyperion's website "Unloaded input voltage should never exceed 5.5V" I'm not saying that Hyperion's website statement should over rule user experience. I'm just saying I'd be careful using some of Hyperion's servos on Hyperion's LiFePO4 batteries

ciao, Todd
atjurhs is offline Find More Posts by atjurhs
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 08, 2010, 01:02 AM
RIP MC
United States, CA, Midway City
Joined Dec 2003
3,344 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl Perkins View Post
Actually, I'm running 809's in the ailerons and rudders. They're plenty sufficient there... I'm doing an experiment right now by using 809's on the flaps on my latest I2. (It's really light - could finish out sub 67 ounces.) I just have to be smart about servo arm length, but they should be fine.

D
For flaps? Yikes, that might be pushing it especially on the Icon.

Now that you are a World Champion, anyway to use some of that to leverage Atx to update the servos .

I would really like to see 761 go to 1us deadband or the max should be no more than 2, (it's currently 3), and the Hyperion clones would be better at 1us also.

Thanks!
T
fnnwizard is offline Find More Posts by fnnwizard
Old Sep 08, 2010, 01:49 AM
Sink Stinks
Orange County, CA
Joined Aug 2004
4,448 Posts
FYI, this is what the Hyperion site has to say about the DS09 and DS11 servos:

Quote:
All current Hyperion ATLAS Digital servos (except DS09 and DS11 series) can accept the voltage supplied by the G3 LiFe receiver packs.
Silent-AV8R is online now Find More Posts by Silent-AV8R
Old Sep 08, 2010, 01:50 AM
Sink Stinks
Orange County, CA
Joined Aug 2004
4,448 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnnwizard View Post
Now that you are a World Champion,
For the FIFTH TIME
Silent-AV8R is online now Find More Posts by Silent-AV8R
Old Sep 08, 2010, 08:28 AM
United States, VA, Falls Church
Joined Mar 2007
1,371 Posts
Hey Tuan,

It is pushing it for the I2. But I'll be smart about the linkage, and this is a little test. This model won't get pushed very hard... it'll just be a TD plane, for the most part.

D
Daryl Perkins is offline Find More Posts by Daryl Perkins
Old Sep 08, 2010, 10:12 AM
LSF V,LSF Secretary,AMA Lifer
Huntsville
Joined Oct 2003
2,077 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnnwizard View Post
I hope it isn't true, but if it is, I think JR will be proven wrong. As much as I would love to use the 378's I have, I just couldn't get myself to live with the 1-2mm inconsistent TE of the wing. Perhaps one may not notice as much if the TE settings are on a switch, but if it's on a slider the TE gets very sloppy.
>snip<
Of course to be able to feel this, the servos have to be good, therefor centering is an absolute priority .
Tuan -
I've heard that some of the early 378's came in with the dead band set for 3us, the current ones are set at 1us. My experience confirms this, the new stock is tight. Save the old servos for spoilers or something.
Robglover is offline Find More Posts by Robglover
Old Sep 08, 2010, 11:57 AM
WINS - Winch In Nose Sailplane
USA, NH
Joined Mar 2008
3,109 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robglover View Post
Tuan -
I've heard that some of the early 378's came in with the dead band set for 3us, the current ones are set at 1us. My experience confirms this, the new stock is tight. Save the old servos for spoilers or something.
Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice.... I've also heard from a JR team player - 0 dead band.
I want to see 1, yes only 1, that centers correctly before I go down that path again. No, I'm not from Missouri. But I do love the speed and power.
jaizon is offline Find More Posts by jaizon
Old Sep 08, 2010, 12:37 PM
Huntsville
Joined Oct 2003
2,077 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaizon View Post
Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice.... I've also heard from a JR team player - 0 dead band.
I want to see 1, yes only 1, that centers correctly before I go down that path again. No, I'm not from Missouri. But I do love the speed and power.
Jaizon -
I'll have a plane full at the Masters, look me up and I'll show them to you.
Old Sep 08, 2010, 12:39 PM
USA, CA, Aptos
Joined Jul 2005
1,115 Posts
Second that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robglover View Post
Jaizon -
I'll have a plane full at the Masters, look me up and I'll show them to you.
Pheasant is offline Find More Posts by Pheasant
Old Sep 08, 2010, 01:10 PM
RIP MC
Joined Dec 2003
3,344 Posts
I got to inspect Target's 378's and the gears were solid with no play though I did not test them for centering or deadband.

Can someone from JR confirm the date the "new" 0 deadband servos were available.

The latest batch I bought were back in May or June and they were the same in regards to deadband and centering. I'm waiting to send about 14 in, but don't want to receive the same type. If they are in fact upgraded, then I'll be happy to put them to use noise and all , otherwise I will hold out until then...

Of the 14 that can not find center, 2 of them stop responding for no reason I can think of and 1 came out of the box with 1/2 the torque. All have 4us of deadband and I am use to <1us deadband from JR and these were advertises as "same small deadband".

What I have found with these is if your tx isn't " in step" with the servos, the servo could jump two dead bands worth when moving the trims.

For example, the cervo centers at 1500us. Will respond consistently to increments of 4us either direction. Then if you have to use subtrim to line it up and the subtrim is at some odd number of say 1507us, the servo will not be consistent in movements using the regular trim especially if the trim steps are less than 4.
Old Sep 08, 2010, 01:14 PM
USA, CA, Aptos
Joined Jul 2005
1,115 Posts
Call tech support. I was told the larger (3us) deadband servos were not upgradable, but obviously they will repair/replace anything that is defective.
Pheasant is offline Find More Posts by Pheasant
Old Sep 08, 2010, 01:21 PM
Huntsville
Joined Oct 2003
2,077 Posts
I tried the old vs new 378's out on my servo tester. The old ones seem to respond to steps of 3us, maybe 4, it's hard to tell exactly. The newer 378's respond to steps of 1us.

Lining up the transmitters numbers in multiples of 3 works to make things repeatable, but I still experienced what looked a lot like double centering with the older servos. The new ones are what I expect from good servos.
Old Sep 08, 2010, 02:42 PM
RIP MC
Joined Dec 2003
3,344 Posts
Rob and Craig, thanks! I'll ship them back asap and have them ship to where I'll be for the next month. Will report back what I find.

Thanks again!
Tuan
Old Sep 12, 2010, 11:49 PM
agony sweetns the victory
Any Flying Field Across America
Joined Jul 2005
3,515 Posts
Was reminded today just how awesome the Xp truly is.

A friend and I went out this evening and flew from 5:30 till dark. The winds started off somewhere between 10-15mph, but by 6:30ish they were down to 5mph. The last two flights were in dead still air and we were getting 10min flights just hanging in the sunset. I had a great time with a great friend and a great plane!
atjurhs is offline Find More Posts by atjurhs
Old Sep 12, 2010, 11:54 PM
DS= -$ & :-)
Byron Bay, Australia
Joined Feb 2006
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by atjurhs View Post
Was reminded today just how awesome the Xp truly is.

A friend and I went out this evening and flew from 5:30 till dark. The winds started off somewhere between 10-15mph, but by 6:30ish they were down to 5mph. The last two flights were in dead still air and we were getting 10min flights just hanging in the sunset. I had a great time with a great friend and a great plane!
Me too! Flew 17 rounds with my 3.5X on the weekend. Can't believe how good it is with the low save. Love it!!

Eric
Ezza is online now Find More Posts by Ezza