HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 14, 2008, 06:51 PM
Eggcellent...
United States, CA, Orange
Joined Oct 2006
2,468 Posts
I'm keeping my Perfects. Just finished a SL and also put a new wing on my 68...so I'm covered for all conditions.

Tom
tewatson is online now Find More Posts by tewatson
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 14, 2008, 07:04 PM View Post
Jetz17
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Trolling (Obnoxious behavior). It is temporarily hidden while Jetz17 edits it. Show it to me anyway.
Old Jul 15, 2008, 01:37 AM
Bro
Southern California
Joined Feb 2003
1,949 Posts
Explorer

Jetz;
The Perfect is the current benchmark of F3J models, the Explorer is not a "copy" of the plane, it is another plane in itself.
In Europe, the Experience Pro, and Shadow have been a popular model for some time now too, with many a podium finishes.
I totally understand your love for the Perfect, as it is a work of art, and Samba is a first class operation, we work together with them very well, and will continue to do that, we are both service companies.
But, boys need new toys, and the Explorer is a new toy, and a very, nice one at that!

Happy Landings!
Bob
Bro is offline Find More Posts by Bro
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 15, 2008, 01:46 AM
Challenge is rewarding
San Diego, CA
Joined Aug 2004
5,528 Posts
Bad AS$, cool looking new toy. I look forward to twisting the sticks on some of these here in SoCal. Mike, build that bad boy out,and we can trade trannys mid flight. I have a pretty hot rod for you to take a spin on. And if you need to get it F3J launch tuned, I have a F3B winch and an awesome tensioning/throwing arm

GO NEW TOYS
djklein21 is offline Find More Posts by djklein21
Old Jul 15, 2008, 02:00 AM
Fly R/C writer
Redlands, Ca
Joined Dec 2004
1,979 Posts
You're on, DJ!!!!

Mike
mlee8249 is online now Find More Posts by mlee8249
Old Jul 15, 2008, 02:27 AM
Jyvaskyla, Finland
Joined Aug 2003
2,449 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tewatson
I'm keeping my Perfects. Just finished a SL and also put a new wing on my 68...so I'm covered for all conditions.
My impression in Turkey was that four planes were equally capable to win: Perfect, Aspire, Explorer and Espada RLX. I would have included Supra in my list but it had too many structural problems.

Nan Explorer certainly looks good. There is nothing special in it but both, the basic design and details like ballast system seem to be right. Explorer must be better previous Nan models because so many pilots flying Experience Pro or Shadow were selling their equipment after the competition!

One interesting note. Benedikt Fiegl's Explorer had v-tail. Is this a start of a new trend

Tuomo is offline Find More Posts by Tuomo
Old Jul 15, 2008, 11:08 AM
Joined Mar 2008
47 Posts
B....R.....O.........

We also have Honda, Toyota, and Chevy. Throw in a Porsche, Lexus, and Mercedes and you still can only go the speed limit. The air is not changing, the task are not changing, the models are all starting to look like GM models with new flashy names on them. Importing the latest fruit of the month maybe cool for the boys who need new toys then sell them just as fast. As the exchange rate sickens this rational exuberance will also fade.

Thermals,

Jetz
Jetz17 is offline Find More Posts by Jetz17
Old Jul 15, 2008, 11:29 AM
Support www.usf3jteam.com
Chicago IL
Joined Apr 2004
924 Posts
Jetz, the Explorer and the Perfect are both very capable airplanes but are very different. The plan form is very different in that the PP is very elliptical, where the explorer is not. The explorere from what I could see has a much larger wing, way more squares than a PP. Also from what I saw at the WC in Turkey, I think overall the Explorer is a better plane than a PP. The Czech kid next to me in rounds 11 and 12 of the WC was flying an exploer, taking the shortest tows I have ever witnessed, he managed to get a 9:58.1 followed by a 9:58.5 nearly impossible scores to beat. If you ask me, the Explorer is a superior plane to the PP. No pun intended.

Jeff
little flyer is offline Find More Posts by little flyer
Old Jul 15, 2008, 11:41 AM
Norway
Joined Dec 2003
1,475 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by little flyer
Jetz, the Explorer and the Perfect are both very capable airplanes but are very different. The plan form is very different in that the PP is very elliptical, where the explorer is not. The explorere from what I could see has a much larger wing, way more squares than a PP. Also from what I saw at the WC in Turkey, I think overall the Explorer is a better plane than a PP. The Czech kid next to me in rounds 11 and 12 of the WC was flying an exploer, taking the shortest tows I have ever witnessed, he managed to get a 9:58.1 followed by a 9:58.5 nearly impossible scores to beat. If you ask me, the Explorer is a superior plane to the PP. No pun intended.

Jeff
Croatia... Hucaljuk Arijan
Launch times has very little to do with airframe. It is your thumbs, setup, runners and your throw. He could also take the chance because he would anyhow not reach the finals.

BTW Not all times you see have to be correct... There is a timekeeper involved... There was huge mistakes done in this WC that actually could have rattled the final result. Sad but true.
As a note I should also say that we had the best timekeepers ever at a WC I have been to. Still not good enough.
jojoen is offline Find More Posts by jojoen
Old Jul 15, 2008, 12:05 PM
Norway
Joined Dec 2003
1,475 Posts
Top view only just for fun

Wing area 74,93 / 75,85
Wingspan 3550 / 3500
length 1625 / 1630
elev area 7,81 / 7,3
Old Jul 15, 2008, 12:06 PM
Chicago IL
Joined Apr 2004
924 Posts
Someone did a similar one with the PP and a Supra that showed similar results.
Last edited by little flyer; Aug 01, 2008 at 10:51 PM.
Old Jul 15, 2008, 12:09 PM
Joined Mar 2008
47 Posts
Little guy ~

Honda and Toyota are also different yet both have 4 wheels and get the same mileage. If this plane is so great we will see a huge shift. Is your 'superior plane' on order?

Looks like the human factor raised its head again at the event tainting the 'superior' part
Old Jul 15, 2008, 12:09 PM
Norway
Joined Dec 2003
1,475 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by little flyer
Someone did a similar one with the PP and a Supra that showed similar results.
The Supra and the Perfect ARE very similar. Though the Perfect is sized up with larger elevator area (compared to wing) and with thicker airfoils. But they are both based on most of the same basic ideas from Mark Drela.
Old Jul 15, 2008, 12:13 PM
Joined Mar 2008
47 Posts
I just love it when a plan comes together. Superior plane looks like a design tweak from the original.
Old Jul 15, 2008, 12:13 PM
Chicago IL
Joined Apr 2004
924 Posts
Jetz, all im saying is it's different and not a copy.