HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Feb 19, 2010, 09:52 AM
Win=span\massXpractice+lu ck
webbsolution's Avatar
Joined Jul 2007
3,073 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojoen View Post
I think our guys is mostly happy to be in the olympics. Just like we are happy to be flying these wonderful gliders

Btw so that it is not too much off topic. I meassured a bit on my reworked sailplane fuse since my motor burnt. One can cut it further back and put in rather large outrunners. I think I will put in a 36-38mm diameter outrunner.
My old Yellow Shadow from the WC in 08 is now relegated to the back of the bus in terms of contest planes. I was considering this as a slope ship but ....maybe I should be looking for a motor package for it........
webbsolution is offline Find More Posts by webbsolution
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 19, 2010, 02:46 PM
WINS - Winch In Nose Sailplane
jaizon's Avatar
USA, NH
Joined Mar 2008
3,109 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by webbsolution View Post
My old Yellow Shadow from the WC in 08 is now relegated to the back of the bus in terms of contest planes. I was considering this as a slope ship but ....maybe I should be looking for a motor package for it........
A friend has 2 Shadow fuses and uses the electric one for the days when there isn't a winch at the field. He really loves the e-version (at around 90 ounces).
jaizon is offline Find More Posts by jaizon
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2010, 08:34 AM
Chuck it and see!
Wing-span's Avatar
UK, Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire
Joined Sep 2006
1,387 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojoen View Post
have not cut yet so have no picture. but yes that would be enough to have fun on these extremely efficient model
Ok, Thanks JoJo
Wing-span is offline Find More Posts by Wing-span
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2010, 10:34 PM
Detail Freak
target's Avatar
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,673 Posts
Subject change:

I have a new video of todays view from the SWC embedded in my brain.

They told my timer to "launch on winch #4!", which he did. My 3.5 Xplorer pulls hard, and went vertical.
About the time I'm ready to ping, this RES plane comes meandering into my zone, in the 10-15mph head wind we were launching into.

I ping, and the plane goes vertical, and I'm about to cut him in half, so I pull a little extra up, and then down, and make a nice arced vertical line around behind him, still going up!
It was fantastic, I almost thought that someone else was flying my plane....

R,
Target
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Last edited by target; Feb 22, 2010 at 06:52 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2010, 11:38 PM
Sink Stinks
Silent-AV8R's Avatar
Orange County, CA
Joined Aug 2004
4,346 Posts
Speaking of Xplorers, here is the nice 3.5 that Bob Breaux donated to the SWC raffle, and which I am ecstatic to tell you that I won!!

Thank you again Bob!!!!

And I am also pleased with my new 3.8 that performed extremely well under some not so dandy conditions. I got all of my times, now if I could only learn how to land maybe I can snag some wood!!

And now I have TWO Xplorers to work with!! How cool is that??

Sorry, I am more than a little excited, even after the 6 hour drive home to SOCAL!!!
Silent-AV8R is offline Find More Posts by Silent-AV8R
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2010, 06:52 AM
Detail Freak
target's Avatar
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,673 Posts
Nice score, Bill!
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2010, 10:42 AM
agony sweetns the victory
atjurhs's Avatar
Any Flying Field Across America
Joined Jul 2005
3,515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by target View Post
Subject change:

I have a new video of todays view from the SWC embedded in my brain.

They told my timer to "launch on winch #4!", which he did. My 3.5 Xplorer pulls hard, and went vertical.
About the time I'm ready to ping, this RES plane comes meandering into my zone, in the 10-15mph head wind we were launching into.

I ping, and the plane goes vertical, and I'm about to cut him in half, so I pull a little extra up, and then down, and make a nice arced vertical line around behind him, still going up!
It was fantastic, I almost thought that someone else was flying my plane....

R,
Target
Wish I had been there to see it
atjurhs is offline Find More Posts by atjurhs
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2010, 10:42 AM
agony sweetns the victory
atjurhs's Avatar
Any Flying Field Across America
Joined Jul 2005
3,515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R View Post
Speaking of Xplorers, here is the nice 3.5 that Bob Breaux donated to the SWC raffle, and which I am ecstatic to tell you that I won!!

Thank you again Bob!!!!

And I am also pleased with my new 3.8 that performed extremely well under some not so dandy conditions. I got all of my times, now if I could only learn how to land maybe I can snag some wood!!

And now I have TWO Xplorers to work with!! How cool is that??

Sorry, I am more than a little excited, even after the 6 hour drive home to SOCAL!!!
Wish I had been there to win it but I love mine all the same
atjurhs is offline Find More Posts by atjurhs
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2010, 11:20 AM
RIP MC
fnnwizard's Avatar
United States, CA, Midway City
Joined Dec 2003
3,270 Posts
I was there to see Target's guided missile navigate to avoid hitting the wrong "target". Dude did excellent for a second TD contest. No doubt he'll do much better after a few more contests as things are still too slow-motion for him and he's not willing to put the X into any risk yet.

I lost my Xplorer after finally getting her really dialed in. I tried to histart it into a dust devil to see how she would do and no response from radio input after release.

I am 99.9% sure it was due to the negative power lead into the rx breaking because of wire fatigue.

Not a total loss at all though.
The fuse is repairable, but I gave it away.
Center section, not a scratch.
Just one tip is dinged in at the very end,
One stab tip's skin 1/4" puntured, not really worth mentioning.
Joiners intact.
RDS system intact.
No one hurt.
No other planes damaged.
No vehicles damaged.
I'm intact .

Now I have a reason to urgently get backup X going asap... but I'm going play Victor Frankenstein and try something first.

I'm going to put 3.5 tips on the 4.0 center panel and 4.0 fuse with 3.5 stabs, rds it and see how it works out... I think it'll be a winner.
fnnwizard is offline Find More Posts by fnnwizard
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2010, 11:29 AM
Fly R/C writer
Redlands, Ca
Joined Dec 2004
1,949 Posts
Hey Silent!

Try not to forget your stab joiner with this one!
mlee8249 is offline Find More Posts by mlee8249
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2010, 11:36 AM
Sink Stinks
Silent-AV8R's Avatar
Orange County, CA
Joined Aug 2004
4,346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee8249 View Post
Hey Silent!

Try not to forget your stab joiner with this one!
Got it in a safe place where I can keep track of it!! Thanks for the loaner!! No doubt it was your stab joiner that made the difference!!

Plus, now I have TWO stab joiners.
Silent-AV8R is offline Find More Posts by Silent-AV8R
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2010, 12:59 PM
Registered User
San Diego
Joined Aug 2004
2,241 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnnwizard View Post

I'm going to put 3.5 tips on the 4.0 center panel and 4.0 fuse with 3.5 stabs, rds it and see how it works out... I think it'll be a winner.
I agree. After flying Bob's backup X 3800 this weekend, I got some experience with the Xplorer series. The flight performance and launch performance of the 3800 is very impressive. On landing I was wishing for bigger flaps to have a few more options on landing. I think the combo that Tuan is talking about will give better flap to aileron ratios and will make for an excellent all around model.

Tom
Kiesling is offline Find More Posts by Kiesling
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2010, 01:55 PM
Fly, Fish or F#@%
gliding Oz's Avatar
Houston
Joined Dec 2006
478 Posts
Hey Tom,
Hope you had a great time there and conjrats on your 3rd placing at the F3J event Were you flying the 3.8X in the J??
You will need to try the 3.5 Xplorer.
The ratio's are spot on with fuse length, tail volume and flap and ailerons size.
I guess compared to your 55oz supra's, they do come in a little hotter but are slower than anything I have flown in the 72+ oz range.
Cheers,
Thomas


Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiesling View Post
I agree. After flying Bob's backup X 3800 this weekend, I got some experience with the Xplorer series. The flight performance and launch performance of the 3800 is very impressive. On landing I was wishing for bigger flaps to have a few more options on landing. I think the combo that Tuan is talking about will give better flap to aileron ratios and will make for an excellent all around model.

Tom
gliding Oz is offline Find More Posts by gliding Oz
Site Sponsor
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2010, 02:33 PM
Registered User
Encinitas, CA
Joined Jun 2007
176 Posts
Having flown both the 3.5 and 3.8 in competition, the 3.8 does not launch and land as well as the 3.5. HOWEVER, if you are a good pilot, you are better off with the 3.8. In my modest opinion, it performs amazingly well when there is no air (everything goes up in lift).
I would be VERY INTERESTED to hear how the plane does with the 4 meter parts and 3.5 tips but can you retrofit those parts?
marios is offline Find More Posts by marios
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2010, 02:36 PM
agony sweetns the victory
atjurhs's Avatar
Any Flying Field Across America
Joined Jul 2005
3,515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnnwizard View Post

Now I have a reason to urgently get backup X going asap... but I'm going play Victor Frankenstein and try something first.

I'm going to put 3.5 tips on the 4.0 center panel and 4.0 fuse with 3.5 stabs, rds it and see how it works out... I think it'll be a winner.

oooooh, I hope you can create a market for us 3.5 owners itching to switch up to a 3.8, I'll happilly sell you some 3.5 tips
atjurhs is offline Find More Posts by atjurhs
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion RADINA 2 by NAN models Pinci Hand Launch 38 Feb 11, 2009 12:58 AM
Question Speed 1.5 /Nan Models. Alex Mini 1.5 setup question Broncomech Slope 20 Jul 23, 2008 09:47 PM
Discussion Nan Models Shadow ( sorry for the mistake ) Chipwillis Thermal 56 Apr 19, 2007 04:44 PM