HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 08, 2010, 04:17 PM
Flyer
United States, FL, Lakeland
Joined Nov 2008
204 Posts
Thanks for sharing Don. Let us know how it flies. Mine seams to fly great even being a little heavier.

Rick
Rairwalk is offline Find More Posts by Rairwalk
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 08, 2010, 05:05 PM
Brea, CA
Joined Feb 2007
124 Posts
Per post #2232 it flys awesome Due to the fact that I get to fly with some very skilled pilots who shared set-up info and let me fly their Explorers before I got mine, it was nearly dialed in perfect on the first flight. I used an intentionally conservative hook and camber set-up for the first launch and gradually moved the hook back and added camber with each consecutive launch. Will probably tweek it a little more during the next flying session.
For all around flying in varying conditions a few ounces on an airframe this large won't be very noticeable to most pilots and indeed, in windy conditions some ballast will help. Early morning/late evening competitions in very neutral calm air is when the very lightest wing loading ships will show their advantage as far as hang time goes.
Don
dlrepp is offline Find More Posts by dlrepp
Last edited by dlrepp; Feb 08, 2010 at 05:13 PM.
Old Feb 08, 2010, 05:18 PM
Flyer
United States, FL, Lakeland
Joined Nov 2008
204 Posts
Thanks Don. I agree. This plane really shows lift. I've been flying a Supra and the Xplorer indicates air much different.

Rick
Rairwalk is offline Find More Posts by Rairwalk
Old Feb 09, 2010, 04:39 AM
RIP MC
United States, CA, Midway City
Joined Dec 2003
3,194 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlrepp View Post
Per post #2232 it flys awesome Due to the fact that I get to fly with some very skilled pilots who shared set-up info and let me fly their Explorers before I got mine, it was nearly dialed in perfect on the first flight. I used an intentionally conservative hook and camber set-up for the first launch and gradually moved the hook back and added camber with each consecutive launch. Will probably tweek it a little more during the next flying session.
For all around flying in varying conditions a few ounces on an airframe this large won't be very noticeable to most pilots and indeed, in windy conditions some ballast will help. Early morning/late evening competitions in very neutral calm air is when the very lightest wing loading ships will show their advantage as far as hang time goes.
Don
So this is your screen name. Thanks for the info Don!

Any chance we can get you to go to the SWC with us? I still can carry one more person in the van !

Target, convince him!
Tuan
fnnwizard is offline Find More Posts by fnnwizard
Old Feb 09, 2010, 08:31 AM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,345 Posts
See Tuan, Don DOES own a computer, and can post, but getting him to a contest???

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him dork his new plane into a bullseye....

Target.
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old Feb 09, 2010, 09:58 AM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,744 Posts
SWC is looking like the attendance will be about twice what it was last year... WOW! Our weather sucks and looks like it will for another few days. I hate to go to a contest with very limited experience on my primary models. I have only 5 flights on my new 4-meter Xplorer, so I may just fly the 3.5 and do the best I can. I have yet to maiden my new RES Journey design. Maybe this weekend... Since I sold my other big RES ships to finance the 4.0... I'll have to tough that class out.

Jack
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Feb 09, 2010, 10:57 AM
Sink Stinks
Orange County, CA
Joined Aug 2004
4,244 Posts
I prefer to fly new and unfamiliar planes at contests.

Think about it. If you do well then you are some sort of hero. "Wow, he only has 3 trim flights on that plane. What an amazing pilot he is. Mad Skills"

And if you do poorly you can always say "Well, what did you expect, I only have 5 short trim flights on the damn plane!!".

See, Win-Win!!

BTW - 10 day forecast says Thursday 2/18 will be 78 and clear. Looking good for the weekend!!

http://www.weather.com/outlook/trave...enday/USAZ0082
Silent-AV8R is online now Find More Posts by Silent-AV8R
Old Feb 09, 2010, 11:08 AM
Occasionally here
Joined Jun 2006
159 Posts
[QUOTE=Silent-AV8R;14302163].... BTW - 10 day forecast says Thursday 2/18 will be 78 and clear. Looking good for the weekend!! ......QUOTE]
Rub it in! Two ft. on the ground and another foot possible this evening here in D.C. area. Regis
regis is offline Find More Posts by regis
Old Feb 09, 2010, 11:13 AM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,744 Posts
Rub it in! Two ft. on the ground and another foot possible this evening here in D.C. area. Regis

Regis... Go west, young man! But go further than here... it's 22 degres with dirty snow piled everywhere here in Clovis...

Jack
Old Feb 09, 2010, 12:55 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,345 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R View Post
BTW - 10 day forecast says Thursday 2/18 will be 78 and clear. Looking good for the weekend!!

http://www.weather.com/outlook/trave...enday/USAZ0082
I'm glad the Wx will likely be good; the bosses are sweating me a little at work, cause I'll be missing a ton of OT that weekend.
I'd be a little bit bummed if it were to get rained out!

R,
Target
Old Feb 09, 2010, 01:50 PM
RIP MC
United States, CA, Midway City
Joined Dec 2003
3,194 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by target View Post
I'm glad the Wx will likely be good; the bosses are sweating me a little at work, cause I'll be missing a ton of OT that weekend.
I'd be a little bit bummed if it were to get rained out!

R,
Target
I'm there no matter what,
rain, snow, sleet, hail, earthquakes, thunder, tornadoes. If I can walk on that field Chico better be holding the contest . Even if I am the only one ... with an Xplorer we can split the loot, courtesy of Mr. Breaux ...

Ok, back to reality... did hell freeze yet? hahaha.
fnnwizard is offline Find More Posts by fnnwizard
Old Feb 09, 2010, 02:40 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,744 Posts
Yeah, after driving 10 hours or so to get there, I'd be bummed if it rains... Do we split the loot by the number of Xploders we have? How about by adding all the wingspans and taking a percentage... (Advantage 4-meter guys!)
Old Feb 09, 2010, 04:04 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,345 Posts
No, Jack-

We'll have an Xplorer fly-off. You gotta earn it!

R,
Target
Old Feb 09, 2010, 05:20 PM
Sink Stinks
Orange County, CA
Joined Aug 2004
4,244 Posts
Rain at the current venue would be a whole lot easier to handle than the year it rained like mad when it was at Rodeo Park in Gilbert. A flat, clay-capped landfill. I literally stepped out of my shoes and left them there because there was so much mud on them that they were a lost cause.

Fortunately right now the long term forecast looks to be sunny and no rain. So no worries.

And I own an Explorer and can fly it in the rain, or the sun, (so this thread stays on topic).
Silent-AV8R is online now Find More Posts by Silent-AV8R
Old Feb 09, 2010, 11:10 PM
Fly R/C writer
Redlands, Ca
Joined Dec 2004
1,895 Posts
The SWC has seen almost every kind of weather condition possible, save for snow and tornado. I've seen roasting hot sunshine to freezing wind conditions, rain in the middle of the Sunday morning first round, gale force winds that blow for 30-minutes, stop for 20 and then blow again, ludicrous lift and impossible sink that makes a Eureka vacuum cleaner run and hide. You have to be ready for it. And if you see a huge, rolling mass of dust and cloud coming at you at ground level from 40-miles out, pack the bags because hells a coming! (Us desert dwellers know what those are...right, Shredder?)

Mike
mlee8249 is offline Find More Posts by mlee8249