SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 24, 2009, 09:02 AM
Joined Oct 2003
1,921 Posts
So JoJo how is that back injury thing working out..... Nice photos dude.Your buddy LJ
Larry Jolly is offline Find More Posts by Larry Jolly
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 24, 2009, 10:00 AM
agony sweetns the victory
Any Flying Field Across America
Joined Jul 2005
3,515 Posts
Heat of the Summer

Hey guys (particularly those that live in the hotter regions of the US/world), now that Summer is upon us, I've been wondering how susceptible are our favorite toy airplanes to heat exhaustion?

I live in the SouthEast and temps are typically in the mid 90degs with humidity above 70% so a heat index in the mid 100degs. I store my Xp in a box on a shelf in the garage. I haven't measured it, but I'll bet the temps in the garage are between 90-100degs.

Does anyone know if these temps are going to damage my Xp?

Thanks, Todd
atjurhs is offline Find More Posts by atjurhs
Old Jun 24, 2009, 10:26 AM
Build A Rocket Boys!
Portland, Oregon
Joined May 2002
4,059 Posts
JoJo, thanks for the new wallpaper! It's been a few years since I've been to Scandanavia but this photo really captures the spring/summer scenery. Enjoy it before it turns white again....

Best,

PDX
PDX Slope Pilot is offline Find More Posts by PDX Slope Pilot
Old Jun 24, 2009, 11:31 AM
Austin Silent Flyer
Austin Texas
Joined Mar 2003
384 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by atjurhs
Heat of the Summer

Hey guys (particularly those that live in the hotter regions of the US/world), now that Summer is upon us, I've been wondering how susceptible are our favorite toy airplanes to heat exhaustion?

I live in the SouthEast and temps are typically in the mid 90degs with humidity above 70% so a heat index in the mid 100degs. I store my Xp in a box on a shelf in the garage. I haven't measured it, but I'll bet the temps in the garage are between 90-100degs.

Does anyone know if these temps are going to damage my Xp?

Thanks, Todd
I have been wondering the same. If you can un-warp a control surface with an application of a hot towel and a little pressure, I would hate to think what could happen in a hot garage. I store my aircraft inside a closet in our spare room. Our garage can get quite toasty in the Texas heat. We are expecting a new record high today of 103F (39.4C)

Rick
rrdiaz30 is offline Find More Posts by rrdiaz30
Old Jun 24, 2009, 12:03 PM
agony sweetns the victory
Any Flying Field Across America
Joined Jul 2005
3,515 Posts
My closets aren't that big, but since I don't have a wife to complain, maybe I'll go raise up the bed a few inches so I can slide it under there. I'm sure the GF won't mind
atjurhs is offline Find More Posts by atjurhs
Old Jun 24, 2009, 01:46 PM
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Sep 2002
1,129 Posts
Todd,

I checked the temperature in my garage last night when I got home and my thermometer was pegged out at 120. I am sure it was that hot or hotter. My house faces due west and unfortunately the garage is not insulated. I keep all my planes and do all my building in a nice cool climate controlled room in my basement. The outside temperature was around 100-102.

See Ya,

Pat
pmccleave is online now Find More Posts by pmccleave
Old Jun 24, 2009, 02:21 PM
Joined Jan 2004
919 Posts
Sitting out side at the field sailplanes get much hotter than sitting in your garage.

I think stored correctly in your garage 100 + degrees is not a problem.

sj
SmokinJoe101 is offline Find More Posts by SmokinJoe101
Old Jun 24, 2009, 04:40 PM
Norway
Joined Dec 2003
1,474 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Jolly
So JoJo how is that back injury thing working out..... Nice photos dude.Your buddy LJ
I visited the doctor on Monday and discussed throwing airplanes. He agreed that I should not at all throw DLG style or two hand F3J/B but keep throwing one hand style. This because I then kept the back straight.
But throwing only the model yesterday and today was not good for the back. On the other hand one does not need super altitude as long as the thermals are good...

Today I flew partly Perfect ET and partly Xplorer. The Perfect ET I brought today is a bit heavier (2200g) and therefore was not so easy to compare to my very light Xplorer 3800 full carbon (1960g) on this low circling stuff. Would be better to bring my Perfect SL and put on the ET tips.
Both is so large in wingspan that the rudder could be bigger for low and tight circling. The rudder on the Perfect had fairly good effect all the way up to full throw and was too much but did not loose its effect. The rudder on the Xplorer had good effect but I needed to ease up on it as soon as the turn had been initiated. Otherwise the tail would work as an airbrake and the tail stop flying.
Beware that I flew both models with small joiners (equal dihedral on both) AND in high altitude terrain. Using more dihedral might help in this tight circles flying. What did help was to get the CG slightly forward (think that means about 110mm on both models from 112mm). On the Xplorer 3800 it helped a bit to have slightly less thermal camber on the tips.
I ended up flying both models with up too 4-5mm thermal camber in todays conditions. Normally I find less than this to work better.
What I am saying is that every day is a new day of settings. This has to do with a lot of factors. humidity, thermals, elevation.
But what we want to find is settings that work fairly well in all conditions and know what to tweak for certain special days...

As a conclusion of todays models flown:
I would say that the rudder stability medal goes to the Perfect ET.
But the tightest circle when initiated is the Xplorer 3800.

Beware that this is not a "test". Only "observations" from some hours of flying

Regards Jojo
Off too UK Eurotour tomorrow
jojoen is offline Find More Posts by jojoen
Old Jul 03, 2009, 01:50 AM
Bro
Southern California
Joined Feb 2003
1,949 Posts
Xplorer

JoJo,
Nice camera work!

Best,
Bob
Bro is offline Find More Posts by Bro
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 03, 2009, 11:21 AM
Win=span\massXpractice+lu ck
Joined Jul 2007
3,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by atjurhs
My closets aren't that big, but since I don't have a wife to complain, maybe I'll go raise up the bed a few inches so I can slide it under there. I'm sure the GF won't mind

Dude you keep your GF under the bed? Thats one way to resolve the sheet stealing argument!
webbsolution is offline Find More Posts by webbsolution
Old Jul 03, 2009, 12:01 PM
Joined Oct 2003
1,921 Posts
David,
That doesn't seem so strange. JoJo isn't taking any chances with this one, he is laying down the law right up front. Besides can't have her topside she might put a ding in the wing. :-) Just kiddin Jo
Larry Jolly is offline Find More Posts by Larry Jolly
Old Jul 03, 2009, 02:28 PM
Norway
Joined Dec 2003
1,474 Posts
I just try to get a girlfriend that is into modelling... But they are hard to get. And they cant be a better pilot than me either! Even more difficult...
Right now the best choice is if they have a son I can get into modelling. This way their mother can pay for my models too!!!
Funny how the mind can play games at you
Old Jul 03, 2009, 02:42 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,853 Posts
How about a girl that IS a model, and will buy you models as gifts??
Now that would be a good arrangement!

T
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old Jul 03, 2009, 02:44 PM
Norway
Joined Dec 2003
1,474 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by target

T
I am in!
Old Jul 03, 2009, 02:56 PM
RIP MC
United States, CA, Midway City
Joined Dec 2003
3,378 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by target

T
Yes it is Target, yes it is .

T
fnnwizard is offline Find More Posts by fnnwizard
Last edited by fnnwizard; Jul 27, 2009 at 11:01 PM.