Old Jun 22, 2009, 12:03 AM
RIP MC
United States, CA, Midway City
Joined Dec 2003
3,379 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmccleave
Tuan,

The following information is taken from each plane's general websites.

Xplorer: Area = 75.83 dm2, Weight = 1950 G
Orca: Area = 72.28 dm2, Weight = 1960 G

I would guess both of my planes are slightly heavier than the projected weights but I am guessing the differences would be similar. The Orca definately has a little heavier wing loading unballasted. It also has a faster airfoil, that responds very well to camber. Also, the Xplorer airfoil when set neutral is slightly cambered similar to the airfoil used on the Zenith. I will try to get actual weights of my two planes to see how they compare to the projected weights.

See Ya,

Pat
Excellent info Pat, thanks for the additional info. I have had a few opportunities to fly in avg 10mph wind with gusts up to 15, but not in 20mph yet.

In 10mph constant wind, I find adding about 6oz of ballast to my Dbox (72oz) helps maintain decent energy in the turns.

But, recently, I have been opting to use reflex instead of ballast and find it is quite a surprise to see how good the X is in up to 10mph with no ballast.

I am lots of time thermaling in reflex in gusty conditions, becasue the avg wind may be only 5, but the gusts get up to 15, so ballast for the most part is not very efficient.

I'll report more I later.
Again, thanks for your insight!
T
fnnwizard is offline Find More Posts by fnnwizard
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 22, 2009, 01:14 AM
Jyvaskyla, Finland
Joined Aug 2003
2,446 Posts
Quote:
Tuan,

The following information is taken from each plane's general websites.

Xplorer: Area = 75.83 dm2, Weight = 1950 G
Orca: Area = 72.28 dm2, Weight = 1960 G

I would guess both of my planes are slightly heavier than the projected weights but I am guessing the differences would be similar. The Orca definately has a little heavier wing loading unballasted. It also has a faster airfoil, that responds very well to camber. Also, the Xplorer airfoil when set neutral is slightly cambered similar to the airfoil used on the Zenith. I will try to get actual weights of my two planes to see how they compare to the projected weights.

See Ya,

Pat
My v-tail Orca weights 2000g. As a comparison Aspire has 79.9dm2 and weights 2250g and has a superior floating performance. I think Aspire would float better than Orca even when ballasted to 2500g... Airfoils are different, wing planforms are different, tails are different...

I would not compare Orca to Explorer. Orca is really a quite special F3J plane with F3B-like flavour. Its speciality is very good distance flight performance at low wing loadings.
Tuomo is offline Find More Posts by Tuomo
Old Jun 22, 2009, 11:49 AM
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Sep 2002
1,129 Posts
Tuomo,

It is good to compare all planes to each other especially when trying to decide which planes to pick for which conditions. I have noticed that my X-tail Orca floats surprisingly well for a plane designed to be more speed and distance geared than designed to be a floater. It also seems to launch faster and higher than the Xplorer. I do believe the Xplorer to be a better floater than the Orca and so far it seems to be easier to land accurately than my Orca. Could be that I have more time on the Xplorer. I am really looking forward to getting my hands on the New Satori from Aero-Tec to see how it compares as well.

See Ya,

Pat
pmccleave is offline Find More Posts by pmccleave
Old Jun 22, 2009, 12:04 PM
jrerickson
Valencia, CA
Joined Jan 2005
824 Posts
Hey Pat,

Can I be your caddy? You know, I'll carry your new planes to the field and then we can size up thermals and I'll tell you which side of the sky I think looks better.

You are the man for the reviews of the new planes! Keep 'em coming! Sounds like the Orca is similar to the Lightspeed DLG that I fly. Maybe a bit like the NYX? Need to keep it moving but you are rewarded with great distance capability.

I think everyone looks for a plane that minimizes their weakness, so currently I'm looking around for the most stable, predictable plane in landing. I like my Onyx JW a lot, and prior to that I flew my Icon successfully. From what I've seen the Xplorer lands better than either, at least slower. What do you think?

John
jrerickson is offline Find More Posts by jrerickson
Old Jun 22, 2009, 12:22 PM
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Sep 2002
1,129 Posts
Hey John,

I have seen you fly, I think maybe I should be your caddy. As far as landing goes, I rank my Xplorer up there with my old Icon which personally I always use as the Standard for easy to land planes. I think the Xplorer is just really easy to keep on line even in gusty conditions and it slows down well in dead air landings. In the winds like we had yesterday, I could just fly it clean right into within a 5-10 feet of the spot and then dump the flaps and stick it. The Orca is a little quicker in the zone and could possibly use a little bigger rudder for keeping the plane tracking straight. I need more practice with the Orca before I make any definetive opinion on the rudder. I may just need to add a little more throw in my landing set up. The Xplorer just like the Icon was easy to land straight off the bench. Needless to say, I really like both the Xplorer and my Orca.

See Ya,

Pat
pmccleave is offline Find More Posts by pmccleave
Old Jun 23, 2009, 03:57 AM
Jyvaskyla, Finland
Joined Aug 2003
2,446 Posts
Quote:
It is good to compare all planes to each other especially when trying to decide which planes to pick for which conditions...
Yes but no... Comparing Aspire/Exlorer/Perfect is kind of an easy task. All planes perform just about the same. You cannot go wrong. Just pick the one that feels/looks right for you - or has better availability than the others.

Comparing Orca to the rest of the bunch is a different kind of task. Orca has different kind of performance than the others. When choosing between A/E/P and Orca, you are not only making a choise of a plane, you are also making a choise between slightly different approaches to F3J.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 05:50 PM
Norway
Joined Dec 2003
1,474 Posts
Great day in the mountain farm today. No need for a winch. Just some spotting before the throw and up it went. Flew Xplorer 3800 with small dihedral.
This is up in 950m and the dustdevils (without dust) flew around me today. So easy to take a good photo...

Regards Jojo, jojoen.no

jojoen is offline Find More Posts by jojoen
Old Jun 23, 2009, 06:07 PM
<>< AKA W4BPS
USA, TN, Tullahoma
Joined Dec 2001
2,428 Posts
beautiful pictures

Thanks JoJo. You do have other things than ice and snow... . Brian
BrianSmith is offline Find More Posts by BrianSmith
Old Jun 23, 2009, 06:19 PM
Win=span\massXpractice+lu ck
Joined Jul 2007
3,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojoen
Great day in the mountain farm today. No need for a winch. Just some spotting before the throw and up it went. Flew Xplorer 3800 with small dihedral.
This is up in 950m and the dustdevils (without dust) flew around me today. So easy to take a good photo...

Regards Jojo, jojoen.no

Those are great pics JOJO!

I have yet to throw my plane into a thermal and get away into spec altitude. The thermals here are not concsistantly that strong although I am sure people do it.

It seems like anytime something strong enough to handlaunch and spec out comes my way I am already up in the air! ...maybe today

Going out to put in some more flights on my new Airtronics SD10G wooot!

DW
webbsolution is offline Find More Posts by webbsolution
Old Jun 23, 2009, 06:19 PM
Norway
Joined Dec 2003
1,474 Posts
Another one showing the valley

Old Jun 23, 2009, 06:22 PM
Norway
Joined Dec 2003
1,474 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by webbsolution
Those are great pics JOJO!

I have yet to throw my plane into a thermal and get away into spec altitude. The thermals here are not concsistantly that strong although I am sure people do it.

It seems like anytime something strong enough to handlaunch and spec out comes my way I am already up in the air! ...maybe today

Going out to put in some more flights on my new Airtronics SD10G wooot!

DW
It is slightly downhill here so a little cheating. But a good throw was needed and without spotting the good air it was only a turn and I was down. My problem is that my back can not take too hard throwing...
Old Jun 23, 2009, 06:42 PM
Austin Silent Flyer
Austin Texas
Joined Mar 2003
384 Posts
Airtronics SD10-G setup for Xplorer X-Tail

I found this on the Kanoh Model Sailplane Workshop site in Japan.

Airtronics SD10-G setup for Xplorer X-Tail:

http://model-sailplane.dialog.jp/10g-01.html

http://model-sailplane.dialog.jp/10g-04.html
http://model-sailplane.dialog.jp/10g-05.html
http://model-sailplane.dialog.jp/10g-06.html

Rick
rrdiaz30 is offline Find More Posts by rrdiaz30
Old Jun 23, 2009, 09:03 PM
Joined Jul 2007
3,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrdiaz30
I found this on the Kanoh Model Sailplane Workshop site in Japan.

Airtronics SD10-G setup for Xplorer X-Tail:

http://model-sailplane.dialog.jp/10g-01.html

http://model-sailplane.dialog.jp/10g-04.html
http://model-sailplane.dialog.jp/10g-05.html
http://model-sailplane.dialog.jp/10g-06.html

Rick
There are some itneresting numbers there.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 09:09 PM
Joined Jul 2007
3,091 Posts
Sweet weather for a one hour flight.

I had just enough time to spike a histart down and launch and do alittle more range testing on my X with the new Airtronics SD10-G

This time I took it way up wind and spec'd it out and then started to range....no issues at the full extent of my vision so I started to have some fun....an hour later I realized I had kids to pick up and work to do and had to come down.

Its a sweet day when you have an hour to fly and you only need one launch

Of course compared to JoJo's post using a highstart is really cheating.

DW
Last edited by webbsolution; Jun 23, 2009 at 09:19 PM.
Old Jun 24, 2009, 01:55 AM
Jyvaskyla, Finland
Joined Aug 2003
2,446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojoen
Great day in the mountain farm today.
Wow what pics! Thanks for sharing and concgrats to the photographer