HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 06, 2009, 06:59 PM
San Diego
Joined Aug 2004
2,314 Posts
Sounds like you launched into a thermal. This plus moving the hook back put more load on the wing revealing a bad bond in the joiner box. The bad bond could have been from the factory or from a hard landing or repeated hard landings. I'm assuming the joiner box is only connected to the spar by the glue joint and there is no fiber wrapped around the spar tying the end of the spar together at the joiner box. Without this wrap it is critical to have a good bond. If there is a wrap, they need to use a tougher material or more wraps.

If the model has not been previously hurt and always landed kindly, it is probably worth getting in touch with your distributor and seeing if the factory is willing to provide a new center panel - or at least sell you one at a reduced price. Even if they don't compensate you, they may take more care with the joiner box fabrication and assembly . . .

FWIW
Tom
Kiesling is offline Find More Posts by Kiesling
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 06, 2009, 07:16 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,844 Posts
Mine's not full carbon, either, but at Amarillo, I was launching to the moon with no problems. This was with a relatively strong winch, and up to 25 mph winds.

Jack
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Jun 06, 2009, 08:00 PM
4 wheels move a body; 2 a soul
Saratoga, Ca
Joined Feb 2004
1,462 Posts
This stuff worries me, want to try an X sometime in not too distant future. Ive launched into thermals hard many times and have yet to rip a joiner box out of the wing but did once, doing outside loops with a 100" Dodgson Maestro Caliente, catch a wing in a thermal and blow it up.....same thing, wing went up plane went down, but this was thirty year old technology. If no previous damage could it be QC, poor design,????
glderguy is offline Find More Posts by glderguy
Old Jun 06, 2009, 08:16 PM
Banned
USA, NJ, Wantage
Joined Jul 2008
285 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glderguy
This stuff worries me, want to try an X sometime in not too distant future.
I wouldn't worry about it. Get the full carbon version and you wont regret it. I have that model and launched into several thermals today with it. All the way up the winch this plane doesn't flex a bit. It flies beautifully...I specked it out twice in the same 20 minute flight.

But I am sorry to see this fella's broken center panel. Hope he finds the right fix or resolution.
ACooper is offline Find More Posts by ACooper
Old Jun 06, 2009, 10:11 PM
agony sweetns the victory
Any Flying Field Across America
Joined Jul 2005
3,515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCPC
odd, that both of the documented failures on this thread have been orange/blue. i dont know of any other failures other than yours
I talked with a guy at the MidSouth who's X experienced the same joiner box failure and his wasn't orange and blue. His was repaired and flys again.
atjurhs is offline Find More Posts by atjurhs
Old Jun 06, 2009, 10:47 PM
Throw it like you hate it
United States, CA, Castro Valley
Joined Apr 2007
3,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by atjurhs
I talked with a guy at the MidSouth who's X experienced the same joiner box failure and his wasn't orange and blue. His was repaired and flys again.
it wasnt a green/red was it? thats what i have just kidding
RCPC is offline Find More Posts by RCPC
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 07, 2009, 12:51 AM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,854 Posts
Red planes are strongest.

I keep telling myself this.

Target
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old Jun 07, 2009, 01:28 AM
Joined Apr 2003
274 Posts
I received my X this weekend and saw a gap when you look inside the tip panel joiner box. At the end of the box it looks like the joiner is wider than the spar which ends up in a gap. Is this OK? My X is also the light version. The tips seems to have lots of flex in them.
Cheers
Gert
GNieuwoudt is offline Find More Posts by GNieuwoudt
Old Jun 07, 2009, 02:06 AM
RIP MC
United States, CA, Midway City
Joined Dec 2003
3,379 Posts
I've noticed the gap in all my tips too and so far everything has help up. On my wing repair of the mid section, I looked inside at the joiner box joint and though it looked solid, I think the joiner box could be better glued in by tying it to the balsa shear web and wing skins with extra f/g or carbon. I would think that a few hard dorks could loosen that butt joint eventually causing something like this. This is total speculation on my part.

Also, is the glue joint made with microballoons as filler or is that cabosil? I would hope its the latter for such a critical joint as there is a difference in strength between the 2, but to my inexperience eyes it looks like microballoons to me.

Hope Nan can fill us in.
fnnwizard is offline Find More Posts by fnnwizard
Old Jun 07, 2009, 03:31 AM
Jyvaskyla, Finland
Joined Aug 2003
2,446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by atjurhs
I would never repair a wing that has experienced spar or joiner box failure. Other than that, almost everything is repairable... If you can stand the ugly looks

For sunday flying as well as allround competition work, I would allways choose a full carbon version. Weight is not that important. Stiffer plane launches better and it is also more robust to all kinds of bigger and smaller misshaps. And what is the point of having a light plane, if you have to ballast it for right wing loading?

Regarding this wing joiner box failure, I encourage Jeff to contact manufacturer with an onest mail/phone call. If the wing was intact before the incident, I am sure they will give a new a wing part. And even if not, they surely appreciate your feedback - and maybe quickly serve you with a reasonably priced spare part.
Tuomo is offline Find More Posts by Tuomo
Old Jun 07, 2009, 04:39 AM
Estonia,Tartu
Joined Jan 2005
329 Posts
Thats a construction failure .Probably it is a defect and make a complaint maybe they make you a new centerpiece .
Charged is offline Find More Posts by Charged
Old Jun 07, 2009, 03:15 PM
Joined May 2005
75 Posts
Hey guys
I have been in contact with the dealer, SUSA and they are looking into my situation to get it resolved. I'm confident that will happen.

There has been a lot of speculation as to the cause but frankly at this point I'm not sure what the actual cause was. So lets not go blame the plane until we sort it out

I plan to stay with the X ---It signals lift better than any plane I have had and really suits my flying style.

Until I rebuild, I'll have to go back to the Shadow

Jeff
jml724 is offline Find More Posts by jml724
Old Jun 07, 2009, 05:38 PM
Joined Jul 2005
44 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuomo
I would never repair a wing that has experienced spar or joiner box failure.
Why ? That should not be a problem if the beam is not damage.

I have a D-box that with a wing joiner box failure.

With no mishap at all befor it brake at launch.

My distributor www.impx.no in norway replaced the plain whitin days. Impx and Nan was whery helpful with this case.

And the model was return to Nan Modells for inspection.

Butt..

To start a D-Box in 25 mph ( 11 m/s )? Is that Ok ?

I dont think that this modell is strong enough. A full carbon should be used inn windy conditions above 11 mph ( 5 m/s ) or somthing like that.

The Perfect Super Light is used up to 6 - 7 mph i think... Or am wrong ?

Regards
Stig M Olsen
Lillehammer Norway
Seiler`n is offline Find More Posts by Seiler`n
Old Jun 07, 2009, 06:13 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,854 Posts
Today I added just 5 grams to the nose of my Xplorer; it was at 108mm. I like the plane much better in the turns.

I watched Tuan really launch his Xplorer HARD, deep into the bucket once; no problems there!
I think he may have launched into mild lift on that launch as well.

I did manage to break the brass flap horn off, leaving some in my flap. It was a less than ideal landing, my fault.
Any suggestions how to remove it, before I start trying to extract it?
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old Jun 07, 2009, 11:11 PM
Fly R/C writer
Redlands, Ca
Joined Dec 2004
1,975 Posts
Hi Target,

More than a few of us have done this. I have a set of micro bits for a dremel. One of the bits is a router bit with a diameter of like 1/32"...really fine and fairly delicate. But I use this bit to cut a slot into the tip of the brass stub, just enough to get a screwdriver to fit, and then back it out. Works for me! Works slowly and carefully. Best of luck.

Thanks!
Mike
mlee8249 is offline Find More Posts by mlee8249