HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 29, 2009, 07:22 PM
Win=span\massXpractice+lu ck
Joined Jul 2007
3,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Multeric
So full carbon it is!!

I have realized that people tend to use the 3421 MG servos for flaps and 368 servos for ailerons... What do you guys think about using 368 for flaps and 168 for ailerons? (in the xplorer, I mean)...

Also, what about using Hitec servos like the HS-5125 for ailerons and HS-5245 for flaps?

Thanks!

Go airtronics 671Z for both flaps and ailerons. They are fast, strong and you only have to stock one type of replacement servo. I have been using 761's for flap servos for the last 5 TD/F3J planes and they have never let me down.
webbsolution is offline Find More Posts by webbsolution
to remove ads between posts
Old May 29, 2009, 08:37 PM
Joined Mar 2003
3,070 Posts
I agree, the 761s are excellent servos - used them for all wing surfaces in this Xplorer and will do the same in my Aspire.

Clay
ClayH is online now Find More Posts by ClayH
Old May 29, 2009, 09:57 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,873 Posts
I would likely build my next TD plane with all 94761z's, or just a 3421 on the elevator...

Target
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old May 29, 2009, 10:05 PM
Fly, Fish or F#@%
Houston
Joined Dec 2006
478 Posts
I really like the 94761's when they are new but have found that they develop to much slop for my liking after time (6-12 months).
I am a sucker for JR3421's (best servo ever!) put them where ever they fit, where they don't I like the 368's.
gliding Oz is offline Find More Posts by gliding Oz
Site Sponsor
Old May 29, 2009, 10:23 PM
Joined Jul 2007
3,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gliding Oz
I really like the 94761's when they are new but have found that they develop to much slop for my liking after time (6-12 months).
I am a sucker for JR3421's (best servo ever!) put them where ever they fit, where they don't I like the 368's.
Have you verified that the 761's are sloppy in the gears after 6-12 months or the hole in the arm has not worn into a larger diameter? The stock servo arms can wear fairly fast but I don't have any sloppy servo's after two seasons.

DW
Old May 29, 2009, 10:32 PM
Fly, Fish or F#@%
Houston
Joined Dec 2006
478 Posts
It is in the gears, not the arm.

I would like to give is servo a try, thinner than a 761 and more powerful than a 3421!
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=JRPS378
Will have to order 6 for my 3.8 Explorer thats on order.
gliding Oz is offline Find More Posts by gliding Oz
Site Sponsor
Old May 29, 2009, 11:18 PM
Joined Jul 2007
3,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gliding Oz
It is in the gears, not the arm.

I would like to give is servo a try, thinner than a 761 and more powerful than a 3421!
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=JRPS378
Will have to order 6 for my 3.8 Explorer thats on order.
That servo boasts a difference of +5 oz of tourque @4.8 a net reduction in speed of .01 and a whopping 40% more in cost at the sale price.

However the profile is nice and slim. I can't justify a 40% increase in $ for a 09% in torque without more speed let alone a reduction.

Think of it this way. You can buy 6 of those 378's or 6 761's plus two spare servos for the same price....also you can swap your flap servo for your rudder servo in a pinch with the 761's... I don't think the average TD ship has enough room to mount the 368 in the cockpit.

However if I had a really thin wing that 368 looks like a good choice.
Old May 30, 2009, 12:05 AM
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Aug 2005
736 Posts
761 is IMO the best servo out there. I have had a at least 20 of them or so and never had any issues. The ones in my Tool have been beat up and are still super super tight. On my Dads D-Box Xploder we put all 761's in the wing, 3421 on Elevator and 368 on rudder. Only reason we put the 368 on the rudder is because it fits the cut out that comes with the X. Has worked out great. On my Perfect I went with the 3421's on the flaps and elev and 761's in the rest. I am doing F3J launches so the extra umph of the 3421 is nice to have but I still think the 761 is a much better servo. If you are just doing TD or casual flying, put all 761's in the wing, you won't regret it.

That 378 looks good, but at $70 I will stick with the 761 and 3421 when needed. We all know that those thin servos have never quite had the gear train of the bigger guys.

Aaron
P-51flyer is offline Find More Posts by P-51flyer
Old May 30, 2009, 06:12 AM
RIP MC
United States, CA, Midway City
Joined Dec 2003
3,383 Posts
761 vs 3421, a different perspective.

I've used both in flaps for various planes and I am slowly leaning towards 761's. They still don't give me 110% peace of mind for some reason... maybe due to their small size. But I have not had any problems with them.

The 3421 are good servos, much beefier ( bigger) and had instill confidence for me up until recently when I burnt 2 up in flaps of Xplorer. I still do not know why. I've probably gone through 3 dozen of those and never had issues. Of course they weren't all used for flaps. Their gear trains are not as tight as 761's, at least on the ones I bought over a year ago new.

Of the 60+ 761's I've used, I burnt 2 up but they were the older versions and both were due to rudder binding on 2 different planes (Pike Perfect and antenna catching on Shadow).

I would recommend 761 to a friend. Why? Well for 1 thing, price is obvious. For 3- 3421 you can get 4- 761. 761 is faster. But the thing that sold me on them is the amount of travel I can get out of them if I program my radio right.

Take a look at this video I posted back in March: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1022829

That's a total of 120 degrees. I can't remember how much I got from 3421, but it ws less. This allows use of shorter servo arms resulting in better resolution and a little more torque.

And... like Clay, I also have 6 of these in my latest model, an Aspire which has seen a few F3J launches already. I have also tested a few full flaps vertical descent from launch height just to see if they will burnup. They do get warm, but have held so far.

Trying to be very subjective and not flaming.

Btw, I am running equivalent of 5-nimh (6+v) on all my planes.

Lastly, I am getting pretty comfortable with the 3.5 X and have not found a reason to switch planes yet. Even to X3.8 tips.

Hope this helps.
T
fnnwizard is online now Find More Posts by fnnwizard
Last edited by fnnwizard; May 30, 2009 at 06:17 AM.
Old May 30, 2009, 09:51 AM
Joined Oct 2003
1,928 Posts
Guys,
I was the first to fly 761's and tested them to extremes for Airtrix. It is a good servo quick but in the 40 inch ounce range on its best day. I personally find them not strong enough for a large flap like Perfect or Aspire, and would not even consider them on an elevator. In addition my friends in Europe have reported unexpected dead servos in a couple of the batches. The new 378 is a 761 killer. Faster and 70% more power this is the servo that will allow the F3B guys to design even thinner wings. I have been testing them for several months and have had a hard time keeping them quiet. barry has something like 900 frames coming so get them both orederd if you have a new glider coming in the summer. I am all for brand loyalty and know that some still weigh the price against perfomance. In reality the 378 is simply an awesome little servo, tight, fast, and robust, it doesn't get better. Check them out, they will be easy to find, they will be in your buddies glider. Larry
Larry Jolly is online now Find More Posts by Larry Jolly
Old May 30, 2009, 04:41 PM
Europe - Belgium
Joined Mar 2005
1,521 Posts
Thx Larry, never noticed the servo before
Jurgen is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen
Old May 31, 2009, 12:43 AM
United States, VA, Falls Church
Joined Mar 2007
1,373 Posts
Looks like a nice servo guys.

I would have to disagree with Larry about the 761 though. Being an Airtronics guy, I run them pretty much exclusively. I use them on my Icon 2 for flaps AND elevator. The flaps on the Icon 2 are longer and larger than any of the models mentioned, and the servos drive them just fine. Stab's huge too... no issues.

According to the Airtronics website, the 761 is rated at 55 and 66 oz of torque based on 4.8 or 6 volts respectively.

http://www.airtronics.net/specs/atxservospecs.pdf

I don't mean to get into a manufaturer's war here, just stating documented facts. I'm sure the 378 is a nice servo too.

D
Daryl Perkins is offline Find More Posts by Daryl Perkins
Old May 31, 2009, 01:02 AM
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Sep 2002
1,130 Posts
Guys,

I am primarily a JR guy myself, but I do use a lot of 761's due to their quality, holding power, speed and best of all price. I have to agree with DP here, I saw how he abuse his Icon 2 last weekend and never even a hint of problems with the servos. Few people launch harder than Daryl does and his elevators were rock solid. BTW, Larry I will definetely being trying some of the new 378s soon though as like I said, I am primarily a JR guy. I have yet to have an issue with 3421MG, 368 or 168 and use loads of them as well.

See Ya,

Pat
pmccleave is online now Find More Posts by pmccleave
Old May 31, 2009, 02:03 AM
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Aug 2005
736 Posts
I ran 761's on my Trinity all around when I had it. Flying at 140 ounces plus with those big flaps and never a problem. I use them on all my slope racing planes, coming in hot and landing heavy planes into heavy winds, never a issue with the 761. I went with the 3421's for added security on the Perfect. Didn't like the slop in the 3421's compared to the 761 at $30 cheaper.

Be interesting to see how these small gear train servos hold up. 378 looks promising but will need allot to beat the deal of the 761's.

Aaron
P-51flyer is offline Find More Posts by P-51flyer
Old May 31, 2009, 08:45 AM
Joined Oct 2003
1,928 Posts
Daryl,
I am glad you are having good luck with your 761's, and as an Airtronics team guy, I would expect you to run their goodies. But you know what I speak about power from 761's is the truth. We both took part in the testing, with me flying them first. Skip and I even hooked up weights to check the torque. I believe the term Ron used was everbody over estimates their servos output. I still have my notes and the original 761's in the Starlight. I checked, 39 in ounces on a 4cell pack. Now that may be enough depending on the linkage and the geometry of the system. Undisputable is that the 378 is faster, quicker, and thinner. In addition the case has a nice footprint to help offer a secure mounting base. I don't want to bump heads here just be fair. Larry
Larry Jolly is online now Find More Posts by Larry Jolly