target is offline Find More Posts by target
to remove ads between posts
Old May 18, 2009, 05:14 PM
Win=span\massXpractice+lu ck
Joined Jul 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by target
My maiden experience was similar, with a 10-12 minute flight spent at about 75-100' of altitude, much to my surprise.
I would have to say that now, I would have done much better, I think!

R,
Target
PS. I also believe in coupled flaps to ailerons. Coming from the sloperacing discipline, I can tell you that this allows less overall throw/drag for the same response wanted. Always a good thing.
For David, have you tried coupled flaps with just way less throw overall, as your light lift settings??
That's the direction I would go.
Right now I have a coupled flaps mode with a small amount of flaps mixed in (20%). The response is so much more than enough.

There are times when I prefer it for example when I am low and turning really tight circles. Its nice to have a copled mode but when I am flying primarily large flat circles in super light ligft it "seems" like uncoupled is better.
webbsolution is offline Find More Posts by webbsolution
Last edited by webbsolution; May 18, 2009 at 05:30 PM.
Old May 19, 2009, 01:48 AM
VHO
glider misguider
Armidale NSW Australia
Joined Feb 2007
567 Posts
A tale of 0 texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by gliding Oz
Cheers,
Who the is Thomas Cooke

Some Texan, that's who!

Target

Are you sure about that?

Once upon a time a Texan and and Aussie were bragging about the size of their properties.

Texan - my place is so big that it takes me all day to ride from one side to the other.

Aussie - I had a horse like that once...

Hutton

PS might be hint in their somewhere...
VHO is offline Find More Posts by VHO
Old May 19, 2009, 04:38 AM
Jyvaskyla, Finland
Joined Aug 2003
2,434 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojoen
Yes I can post here now as I will have a 3800 Explorer in my house soon... And my own design. Thanks to Primoz and Nikolay
Jojo, you are good at revealing secrets: what was NAN after when making 3800 and 400 versions? To me the 3.5 looked very good even in light condions.

Ok. Larger span is kind of fun to fly
Tuomo is offline Find More Posts by Tuomo
Old May 19, 2009, 08:25 AM
Norway
Joined Dec 2003
1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuomo
Jojo, you are good at revealing secrets: what was NAN after when making 3800 and 400 versions? To me the 3.5 looked very good even in light condions.

Ok. Larger span is kind of fun to fly
Well I dont know about that but thanks...
Probably peoples need to buy something new. And that they now are able to make these large models strong "enough". There is no substitute to span if you are only gliding.
The fun part is that the UK guys made 4m F3J models before composite models took over. So they were ahead of time but moulded models are more accurate and therefore flies better on a general basis.

Jojo
www.jojoen.no
jojoen is offline Find More Posts by jojoen
Old May 19, 2009, 08:57 AM
Jyvaskyla, Finland
Joined Aug 2003
2,434 Posts
Ok It will be very interesting to see what comes out of this trend towards larger span. Large span promises better efficiency in terms of L/D and min sink, and unlike before, it is now technically possible.

To me it would be perfectly acceptable if competition thermal flying and high-end fun flying would take slightly separate routes. Maybe we do not need 4m span in competitions, but for fun flying large span "super-orchidees" certainly have their place.

Sorry for being little sceptical...
Tuomo is offline Find More Posts by Tuomo
Old May 19, 2009, 01:35 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2009
1,115 Posts
fnnwizard,

Nice work! Did you vacuum bag your parts to get the airfoil, or use a different method?
SHVentus is offline Find More Posts by SHVentus
Old May 19, 2009, 01:37 PM
United States, AL, Madison
Joined May 2002
2,272 Posts
nuevo is offline Find More Posts by nuevo
Last edited by nuevo; Jun 17, 2009 at 03:22 AM.
Old May 19, 2009, 01:56 PM
RIP MC
United States, CA, Midway City
Joined Dec 2003
3,338 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHVentus
fnnwizard,

Nice work! Did you vacuum bag your parts to get the airfoil, or use a different method?
No I've never Vac before. I have most of the eqipment, but don't have workbench space. It's just laid in the Bondo mold and smooth out with gloved finger. Same witht he piece that will sit insdie the tips. The wax paper does lift a little near the edges, but I used 3m spray glue to help hold it down.

I kinda surprised myself how nice it came out. In fact it looks good enough so far I might just leave it like that and not paint it.

The only thing I need to be careful with is that with golves on I don't feel the resin thats on the gloves until it gets on where one would not want (my SLR lens). A bottle of rubbing acohol open with plenty of paper towels on standby is very handy!
fnnwizard is online now Find More Posts by fnnwizard
Old May 19, 2009, 02:05 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2009
1,115 Posts
Thanks fnnwizard! Very nice.
SHVentus is offline Find More Posts by SHVentus
Old May 19, 2009, 02:08 PM
RIP MC
Joined Dec 2003
3,338 Posts
Oh, wanted to make clear, that I only used the wax paper on top of that balsa shim. I used Maguires # 8 mold release directly on the bondo to make the replacement part. Works good for this first timer.

Also that Bondo can heat up quickly and high. I had to experiment with the right amount of hardener to slow down its set speed.

This is my very first "mold" job. Pretty small yes, but what a learning experience!

Thanks for all the compliments!

T
Old May 19, 2009, 06:28 PM
Tragic case
Sydney Australia
Joined Feb 2002
5,875 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VHO
Quote:
Originally Posted by gliding Oz
Cheers,
Who the is Thomas Cooke

Some Texan, that's who!

Target

Are you sure about that?

Once upon a time a Texan and and Aussie were bragging about the size of their properties.

Texan - my place is so big that it takes me all day to ride from one side to the other.

Aussie - I had a horse like that once...

Hutton

PS might be hint in their somewhere...
I think there is also a Tolstoy story that has a message on the same topic, someothing about all the land you can walk around in a day
davidleitch is offline Find More Posts by davidleitch
Old May 20, 2009, 09:50 AM
agony sweetns the victory
Any Flying Field Across America
Joined Jul 2005
3,515 Posts
Took my Xp out flying again yesterday after work, and again came away with "what an amazing ship she is!" the winds varied early in the day and then went dead air an hour before dark and she was a pure joy to fly under both sets of conditions!
atjurhs is offline Find More Posts by atjurhs
Old May 20, 2009, 11:30 AM
RIP MC
Joined Dec 2003
3,338 Posts
Tip Repair

I still need to do some final masking and sanding. Still debating on painting it.
Total added weight is so far is 5.6g.

Would anyone happen to know the "color code" for this green?