HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 13, 2008, 02:32 PM
Bush Pilots Bounce Higher
USA, IL, Champaign
Joined Dec 2006
4,309 Posts
Question
CC Bec what are your actual voltage readings ?

I am still building my swift. But I got my CC Bec and the deans connector put on today. I noticed that the led read out of voltage was reading around 4.8v-5.1v judging by my led read out on the side of my helicopter ?
So I double checked the setting using my CC USB cable. I verified that it was set at 6v as I set it originally.
Yet my led read out was still to low. So I bumped it up to 6.1v,.... still to low.
Kept adjusting the output voltage and watching the led scale go up to 6.0v, almost there. Then I set it up to 6.3v and all I heard was a LOUD pop from the bec when I connected the battery ?
Now I have no output out of it !
If in fact you are suppose to be able to go up to 9.0v with a 25.2v battery, which is what I was using till my 11.1v lipo shows up.
Why did it fail ?
Luckily I didn't have my rx hooked up to it while testing it ! Just my led read out. Which I tested again with a 4.8v and a 6.0v battery after the loud pop. They both read where they always have read.
Now I have to send it back and wait for the warranty one to come back ?
Spidious is offline Find More Posts by Spidious
Last edited by Spidious; Jul 17, 2008 at 08:38 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 13, 2008, 03:09 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,621 Posts
What ESC do you have?
Did you disable the on-board BEC?
RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Jul 13, 2008, 04:35 PM
USA, IL, Champaign
Joined Dec 2006
4,309 Posts
I have a CC60 ESC but the battery feed wire is not hooked up to the receiver. I have it disabled to allow me to program the CC60 by using a short servo extension wire, that plugs in just below the motor. That away no power to the rx. But it wasn't even hooked up to the main battery anyways !
I was just supplying power to the feed inlet wire of the rx thru the CC bec. But not hooking it up to the rx, just to my led power monitor. To see if in fact it had 6v output
Last edited by Spidious; Jul 13, 2008 at 09:17 PM.
Old Jul 13, 2008, 04:56 PM
USA, IL, Champaign
Joined Dec 2006
4,309 Posts
Just a thought. Maybe everybody else out there should verify that in fact they have the voltage coming out of the bec that they set it at ?

Then post the actual results here ?

Mine was set at 6.0v and had 4.8v output
Old Jul 13, 2008, 09:30 PM
Dallas, TX
Joined Jan 2005
2,160 Posts
Last year when the CC-BEC came out I took afew measurements with differents loads. Here is a pdf of the results.
jh2rc97 is online now Find More Posts by jh2rc97
Old Jul 13, 2008, 09:46 PM
USA, IL, Champaign
Joined Dec 2006
4,309 Posts
Maybe they need to check the other voltages besides 5.4v ?
Old Jul 14, 2008, 07:43 AM
Dallas, TX
Joined Jan 2005
2,160 Posts
Spidious,
My results do agree with what you are saying, somewhat. I choose 5.4 volts for testing out of the air. At about 3 amps load I was seeing about 0.2 volts drop. Is that all so bad, no not really. At the time I did not have a good load for going up to 10 amps. Also I would suggest a calibrated voltmeter if you are going to watch the voltage, which the Hobbico VoltWatch2 is not.
Old Jul 14, 2008, 12:33 PM
United States, OR, Beaverton
Joined Feb 2008
1,976 Posts
Yah, those LEDs are a terrible measure of voltage but would be ok when used to compare packs like you did. Keep in mind that a fully charged NiCd is what, 1.3 to 1.4 volts? So full range on the LED scale may be higher than 6 volts.

It seems that I read somewhere about someone else blowing a CC BEC with a 6S LiPo so there may be some issues with that.
SteveM732 is offline Find More Posts by SteveM732
Old Jul 14, 2008, 01:34 PM
Dallas, TX
Joined Jan 2005
2,160 Posts
Plus if you have the electronics (servos, gyro, rx) pulling maybe 3-4 amps at idle and you are taking the measurement several inches away from the BEC with current going through 20-22 awg wire then there will be a drop. Since the BEC does not have sensing leads the point where CC measures the voltage internal to the BEC for the feedback control loop has to be internal to the BEC. Being so the voltage right where the leads come off the circuit board may very well be reading the correct voltage.
Old Jul 15, 2008, 07:27 AM
USA, IL, Champaign
Joined Dec 2006
4,309 Posts
When I get the replacement. I will measure the true output with my voltage meter. Then see just how accurate the leds are ?