SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 06, 2001, 07:30 PM
MA
Joined Sep 2001
248 Posts
Got my Soarstar, any tips on how to build?

Too tired now to start building (plus my wife would probably divorce me if I did start) tonight. I went through the manual and it looks pretty straightfoward. Anybody have any extra tips on how to build this plane? The last RC plane that I "built" was a 2 channel Cox Cessna 170 which was REALLY easy to build. Anything that I can do to make it structurally more sound? I had thought that the foam would be more dense like that of my old Cessna, but upon examination, it looks no more dense than the styrofoam that is used in packing material. I've heard that using packing take on the outside of the nose and leading edges of the wings work... Will it increase weight substantially? Also I don't have a heat gun, will a hair dyer work? Any other hints, tips, mods would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
f2racer is offline Find More Posts by f2racer
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 06, 2001, 08:27 PM
United States, VA, McLean
Joined Oct 2000
21 Posts
Search in the foamies section for soarstar or wingo and you'll get tons of info.
waagbuck is offline Find More Posts by waagbuck
Old Sep 06, 2001, 10:56 PM
North GA, USA
Joined Jul 2001
501 Posts
Take your time. You can probably do it in the 6-8 hours listed if you're experienced (I'm not), but don't rush yourself.

I opted to use sanding sponges to sand the parts. What a great idea that turned out to be!

Drill the pilot holes in the wing mounts (pg. 5) before mounting onto the wing.

If you can, use a slower setting epoxy to join the fuselage. All I had was 5-min. epoxy, and I had to work REALLY REALLY fast to get the job done.

As for your question about the heat shrink tubing, a hair dryer works great. I used one to shrink mine.

USE THE BLUE MASKING TAPE! It's perfect for this plane while the epoxy is drying, and it won't strip the finish off the foam.

Go ahead and mount the servos using the balsa blocks. A more experienced modeler once pointed out that using epoxy to secure them would mean damage to the plane if a servo had to be removed. I'm using Hitec 81's, and they fit VERY snug in the slots. They sure aren't going anywhere for a while.

BTW, I mounted my servos as the pics show: arm towards the tail of the plane. Everything lined up perfectly that way. I did have to reverse the servos on the Tx though (Flash 5X).

Finally, the packing tape is highly recommended. I haven't added mine yet (still building the Soarstar). Folks say it greatly increases durability, and the weight penalty isn't even an issue. The Wingo and Soarstar are very capable of handling additional weight.

I'm sure you'll find lots of other good info on the forum. The Soarstar and Wingo are very popular trainers.

Wings
Wings is offline Find More Posts by Wings