HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 13, 2008, 04:28 AM
Central Kentucky
Joined Jul 2008
70 Posts
Help!
Replacement Brushless Motor for Wilga 2000

I'm sorry for starting this Thread in other areas but being new to this site I'm slowly climbing the learning curve here so bear with me.

So far I really like the Wilga 2000 but almost lost it due to in flight Motor failure.
With almost no specs on the workings of this Plane, being new to electric Foamies and Hundreds of Motors out there, which one is the right one?

Here are the specs:
# Wingspan: 1160mm (45.7 in)
# Overall Length: 888mm (35 in)
# Flying Weight: 550g (19.4 oz)
# Wing Area: 16.82dmē
# Wing Loading: 35g/dmē
# Drive System: Brushless Out-Runner High Torque SP2830-26 Motor
# Speed Controller: 18A Brushless ESC
# Battery: 11.1V 1500mah Li-Polymer (3Cell)
# Propeller: 8 X 6 Three-Bladed

I'd hate to spend $80.00 on a Motor that won't work either because it's too small, big, wrong Current or the RPM's are wrong.
Most I've seen would require me to purchase another Prop as well because the one that came with the Plane installs between 2 Nuts directly to the Threaded Drive shaft and I've noticed most all have a completely different method of installing the Prop.
I'd order a replacement from where I got the Plane but I don't want another cheap Motor that could destroy the Plane the next Time it fails and I end up crashing it.
I'm a newbie at this and have no idea what to look foe so any help would be greatly appreciated.

KentuckyRanger is offline Find More Posts by KentuckyRanger
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 13, 2008, 09:01 AM
flying with dx7...
USA, MD, Westminster
Joined Aug 2006
656 Posts
what did you do with the $80 motor that was to small?
futabafreak is offline Find More Posts by futabafreak
Old Jul 13, 2008, 09:09 AM
flying with dx7...
USA, MD, Westminster
Joined Aug 2006
656 Posts
try this one http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=EFLM1205

or this one

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=EFLM1200

or this one I think would be the best

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...dID=EFLM1210HS
Old Jul 13, 2008, 04:02 PM
Central Kentucky
Joined Jul 2008
70 Posts
Thanks allot for the info.
I think the second one looks to be a very good alternative and one I'll put on my serious consideration list.
I'm starting to get a better idea on what kind of Motors are best suited for the type of Aircraft as well as type of Prop.
From what I can see I'll most likely have to change Props because the one that came with the Plane is made for a Treaded Shaft and the majority I'm seeing have a different way of mounting, or I'm just not understanding what's included with the Motor.
In any event I'll be back in the Air soon... :O)

Once I get it all put back together I'll post some Pics.
Old Jul 13, 2008, 04:06 PM
Central Kentucky
Joined Jul 2008
70 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by futabafreak
what did you do with the $80 motor that was to small?
I meant I didn't want to spend $80.00 on a Motor that wouldn't work on this Plane.
It really startled me at first when I went to look for a Motor at just how expensive they are, I thought I'd be having to wait until I had the funds but the more research I do the more I'm seeing much less expensive alternatives.
Old Jul 13, 2008, 06:14 PM
Chicago 'burbs
Joined May 2006
1,683 Posts
One way to look at is is to find a motor which physically is similar to the one that failed. Your 2830-26--the 28 is the outside diameter of the can, and 20 the length, and 26 the number of winds. I know nothing else about your motor. But basically the physical size of a motor sets its max power handling. After all it is iron, copper, and magnets, not much else going on! Scorpion and or AXI, as well as other brands will work.

You didn't say why the motor failed, I assume it shorted out or something. If it really was under spec'd for the application, then you should opt for something which has some robustness.

I am guessing you are then talking about something in the Scorpion 2208 series, or the AXI equivalent. You need to match the kV to be similar to what you had, just to use your current battery and ESC.
Alan Hahn is offline Find More Posts by Alan Hahn
Old Jul 19, 2008, 08:35 PM
Central Kentucky
Joined Jul 2008
70 Posts
Thanks for the help.
I got the Waypoint W-E2208-30 Motor because I liked the design and it works very well, even better than the OEM Motor.

The reason it failed was Sapac's poor design of the Motor mount as well as lack of good, direct ventilation.
The cheap Plastic Motor mount covered over 90% of the Motor's Vent Holes which smothered the Motor, causing it to over heat.

I was able to fix the Mount by re-heating it and getting it back level.
When the Motor failed it almost melted the mount, it's a wonder the dang thing didn't catch fire, LOL!

Anyway, here's what I did to get Air moving in the right places. I took a Dremel and removed some of the Plastic around the Motor to open up the Motor Vents.
Then I closed the stock Vent Holes and made my own intake.
You can see in the Pics that it really opened up the Vents and the intake works well as far as getting the Air where it needs to be.

I know the Mount looks like a burnt piece of Crap, but with the Cowling on you can't see it and in the Future I'll most likely make a new one for it.

Last edited by KentuckyRanger; Jul 19, 2008 at 11:50 PM.
Old Jul 19, 2008, 09:49 PM
flying with dx7...
USA, MD, Westminster
Joined Aug 2006
656 Posts
nice pics where can i get this plane
Old Jul 19, 2008, 10:20 PM
Central Kentucky
Joined Jul 2008
70 Posts
I got mine at Banana Hobby

But it took FOREVER to get here from California.
They waited over a Week to ship it after charging my credit Card.
It got here OK but man the customer service is non existent...

Mine is made by Sapac so Google Sapac Wilga 2000 and see if someone else has it who's a little more on the Ball with shipping.

I paid $180.00 for it but you can save allot if you get it in the ARF model without Radio gear.

The Graupner Wilga 200 is available at Hobby Lobby @ $215.00 / $339.00 RTF.

It's allot more than the Sapac but I like the way Graupner leaves the Stickers on the Sheets, the Sapac came with the Stickers horribly applied.
I had to pull allot of them off because they where put on so bad, thank God they didn't mess up the Top Wing Stickers used for the Aileron Hinges or I'd have sent it back.
Also, Hobby Lobby puts ALLOT better parts together in their RTF version like a nicer looking Radio and Much Much better balanced Li/Po Battery charger. The one that comes with the Sapac is a very cheap Wall Plug un-balanced charger, basically Garbage for charging a Li/Po Pack.

If I had it to do over I'd have paid the extra for the Graupner IMHO.

P.S. The Plane in the last Photo is my Wilga 2000 after a few Mods
Last edited by KentuckyRanger; Jul 19, 2008 at 11:50 PM.
Old Jul 19, 2008, 11:02 PM
flying with dx7...
USA, MD, Westminster
Joined Aug 2006
656 Posts
sweet
Old Jul 19, 2008, 11:56 PM
Central Kentucky
Joined Jul 2008
70 Posts
I was so tired earlier I spelled Sapac wrong, LOL!
Dang Chinese Co's need American names...