Closed Thread
Old Jul 12, 2008, 05:28 PM
FPV Desert Beta Test Center
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Nov 2006
2,441 Posts
Poll
Proposed U.S. FPV Guidelines - Max Weight

These threads are to poll U.S. FPV pilots on recommended guidelines for submission to the ARC which has been given authorization by FAA to prepare guidelines for small unmanned aerial vehicles.

This link will provide the background of how and why ARC was formed and its agenda.

http://tinyurl.com/5svend

The following link is to the FAA Interim Operational Approval For Unmanned Aircraft that was issued in March of this year.

http://tinyurl.com/6lufmu

While this document does not effect hobbyists and amateur model aircraft users when operating systems for sport and recreation if does provide good feel for the issues they are focusing on such as spotters, operating range, etc. We can expect that these same issues may also be considered in formulating changes to AC91-57.

After polling is complete these main guidelines will be supplemented with additional secondary requirements from pilot input received.

In answering these question please remember the reply should not reflect what you would like if were your decision but what is reasonable and has a chance to be accepted by the rule makers.
The poll will end in 30 days.

Thanks!
Gary Evans is offline Find More Posts by Gary Evans
Last edited by Gary Evans; Jul 13, 2008 at 11:28 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 12, 2008, 05:38 PM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,061 Posts
I voted for a five pound limit, but I have to say that I think my Twin Star II is probably way under that and is by far my biggest FPV plane. (Not flown yet due to some developmental problems. I think I blew one of the ESC's)

I also realize that there are people flying much heavier planes in perfect safety, but they are wise enough to fly in areas where it is safe to do so. I think some sort of waiver system should also be in place for flying in areas where the risk of harm to people or property is extremely limited.

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
Old Jul 12, 2008, 05:41 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2005
5,356 Posts
Just for conversation. "Aerosodle" which was my first REAL FPV plane was 4lbs and was '10' sized. The J3 Cub was '32' sized and came in about 5-6 lbs.
typicalaimster is online now Find More Posts by typicalaimster
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: I was bored
Old Jul 12, 2008, 05:45 PM
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Nov 2006
2,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by typicalaimster
Just for conversation. "Aerosodle" which was my first REAL FPV plane was 4lbs and was '10' sized. The J3 Cub was '32' sized and came in about 5-6 lbs.
Could you make the poll threads sticky for the duration (30days)?
Old Jul 12, 2008, 05:45 PM
Suspended Account
Netherlands, NH, Edam
Joined Jul 2004
5,535 Posts
Well, the problem is how much weight is enough to be considered a liability if it collides with a person or an object. The one factor that always needs to be considered with any such collision is impact velocity i.e. the kinetic energy of the actual plane which is dissipated on impact.

So from that point of view 10lbs at 10mph might not be an issue in most cases, but 2lbs at 120mph sure is, hence the poll is kind of pointless unless you also factor in some restrictions on speed. I.e. a typical speed envelope for model aircraft is between 15 and 80mph, so I guess about 90% of them fall in that category?

Might be an idea to consult someone with some expertise in the field of human - object collisions to determine what the safe limits are and then get a better understanding of maximum weight.

One other thing to consider is the actual compostion of the plane. I'd much rather be hit by a 5lbs foamy doing 50mph than a 5lbs balsa plane at 20mph, for obvious reasons.

Just thought I'd bring that up for consideration.

Cheers,

Sander.
ssassen is offline Find More Posts by ssassen
Old Jul 12, 2008, 05:50 PM
Joined Apr 2004
7,061 Posts
Sander

Consider a worst case where the plane is out of control and going straight down!

I would not want to be hit by any plane going straight down at terminal velocity, especially minus its wings.

Pete
Old Jul 12, 2008, 05:50 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2005
5,356 Posts
Gary, throw up a poll for Speed, I'd say 0-30, 30-60, 60+
typicalaimster is online now Find More Posts by typicalaimster
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: I was bored
Old Jul 12, 2008, 05:57 PM
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Nov 2006
2,441 Posts
The Telemaster Electro currently used for FPV is at about 6lbs with video gear.
Old Jul 12, 2008, 06:00 PM
my karma ranover my dogma
Edmonton,Canada Eh
Joined Jun 2007
7,572 Posts
Ummm, Gary...

Just a suggestion, but maybe you should bold or highlight this line...

In answering these question please remember the reply should not reflect what you would like if were your decision but what is reasonable and has a chance to be accepted by the rule makers.
galaxiex is offline Find More Posts by galaxiex
Old Jul 12, 2008, 09:44 PM
@Home
Joined Jan 2007
1,410 Posts
I think this poll is missing 1 or 2 lbs option. You can cram a lot of stuff onto a light airframe.

Vas
VasMan is offline Find More Posts by VasMan
Old Jul 12, 2008, 10:34 PM
Joined Apr 2004
7,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VasMan
I think this poll is missing 1 or 2 lbs option. You can cram a lot of stuff onto a light airframe.

Vas
My old, beat up, often repaired pico Tiger Moth weighs about 9 1/2 ounces with the CF reinforcing, and the gyro. No tilt and pan but I don't miss it.

I think that there should be a weight category that gets totally ignored by the FAA and the AMA. Maybe something around 9 1/2 ounces or so!

If pressed I could make a new one about an ounce lighter!

Pete
Old Jul 13, 2008, 01:38 AM
Free Flying
Joined Nov 2006
525 Posts
I voted 5 lbs. because I believe in baby-steps. Share the same concerns in waivers and 'relative' risk.
anci3nt is offline Find More Posts by anci3nt
Old Jul 14, 2008, 01:41 AM
Miami
Joined Apr 2005
10,859 Posts
TypicalAimster,

Your FPV guidelines are poorly thought out, you making them so restrictive implys that FPV is more dangerous than normal RC Flying. So tell me, would you feel safer at the feild with me flying my 40 pound RC FPV plane 1/2 mile away from the RC field, or would you feel safer with me making constant passes down the runway with a " Normal RC " plane that weighs 40 pounds ???

FPV rules should be the same as the current rules for any model airplane. Putting a camera on a model airplane does not make it dangerous, and should not mean that it should be limited any more than any other RC plane.

JettPilot
JettPilot is online now Find More Posts by JettPilot
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 14, 2008, 05:59 AM
Cameras are EVERYWHERE...
Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2008
1,879 Posts
There should be no additional weight limits placed on FPV. This activity does not increase the risk of hitting a person with a model plane. Conversely, those still standing around at the field are the most at risk.
tvdude310 is offline Find More Posts by tvdude310
Old Jul 16, 2008, 12:38 PM
United States, FL, Palm Bay
Joined Jul 2008
48 Posts
I fly a Vario XLV heli, with a turbine waiting to be installed. It's flying with a 29cc gasser for now. This heli weighs in well over 30 pounds and boarders on being a full up UAV. I agree with the statements made here about the restrictions being a personal choice based on experience. I excercise the same cautions as I do when flying full scale. My bird is capable of carrying 50 pounds of payload giving it a max flying weight of 85 pounds, demonstrated. This is set up for AP work but is also a blast to fly FPV. I've got a lot of FPV time prior to the XLV. I fly safe and a weight restriction does me no good. I excercise COMMON SENSE which is worth far more than a restriction for those without common sense. I voted unlimited for this reason.
DKTek is online now Find More Posts by DKTek
Closed Thread