HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 20, 2008, 12:08 AM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,406 Posts
So I woke up this morning and figured I would go out and try to fly the Riser 2M again. Just so you all know, since my maiden flight with Captain Canardy, I have had a few situations which have left my launching confidence a bit low. But today after rechecking that some kindhearted person had not reversed my elevator servo again and doubble checked that my CG was sufficiently correct so there would be no 30 foot high pop offs I launched her again.

I had some very nice flights today. I still mainly have up and down flights but they are getting a little longer and I figure this way I get a lot of practice with my landings. I think I am getting better at noticing thermal lift but I have a dificult time keeping it in the lift and getting that free ride. The best I have done is a lift stalemate a few times where it was not coming down but not going up. Just wanted to let you know that this new pilot had a very good day today.

Bob - I am looking forward to your maiden flight next weekend. I will be with you in spirit.

BCS - The insurgency has been quiet for too long. I am sensing a major offensive coming just prior to Bob's maiden. Don might be planning on sneaking out to Seattle to replace Bob's tail on the Riser with a v-tail. Watch yourself Bob.

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 20, 2008, 07:01 AM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
sdy. ny
Joined May 2007
2,974 Posts
Glad you got some flying in wind.You have to watch these guys as they can be sneaky,a few months back I needed some jbw for a repair to the transmission on a harley,I was told by the guys at the perts store that it had all been bought by a guy in a blue plaid shirt.I figure that Bob hitched a ride on one of those airplanes he builds and bought up all the jbw from here to washington.scottie
rabidrue1 is offline Find More Posts by rabidrue1
Old Jul 20, 2008, 08:40 AM
We'll all float on OK
Casselberry, Florida
Joined Dec 2002
1,506 Posts
I hope I didn't scare Don off. Sometimes my incredible feats of logic can be overwhelming.
Tom Korn is offline Find More Posts by Tom Korn
Old Jul 20, 2008, 11:51 AM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,511 Posts
Tom! Sorry dude, but I had to retake one of my airframe tests over the name (ruddervator) yes, it is an FAA recognized title!
Dogfly! Yes shaping up quite vividly! short moment arm when you skootch the leading edge of 'canard' back a bit, should do 6 foot loops!
Captain Canardly is offline Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 20, 2008, 12:17 PM
sKrude up, Rejected!
Joined Jun 2008
3,186 Posts
DogFly. is offline Find More Posts by DogFly.
Last edited by DogFly.; Aug 11, 2008 at 12:16 AM.
Old Jul 20, 2008, 12:42 PM
We'll all float on OK
Casselberry, Florida
Joined Dec 2002
1,506 Posts
Please, Captain, I'm having trouble deluding myself as it is. Don't cloud everything up with facts.
Old Jul 20, 2008, 05:03 PM
United States, OH, Bradford
Joined Jun 2005
3,930 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Korn
... Don't cloud everything up with facts.
That's my job.

However, I certainly do not mind some help!
Don Stackhouse is offline Find More Posts by Don Stackhouse
Old Jul 20, 2008, 06:16 PM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,511 Posts
my goodness, kids now adays----
Captain Canardly is offline Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 20, 2008, 07:08 PM
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,406 Posts
Quote:
I hope I didn't scare Don off. Sometimes my incredible feats of logic can be overwhelming.
If you have read any of the posts by Don on the Chrysalis thread you would know that Don's logic and knowledge of aircraft design is almost unending. He is the most informed, able to back up what he sais guy I have had the pleasure to meet. Trust me when I say he has not been scared off. My guess is that he has gone to find a more challenging discussion. Don is always welcome here.

Wayne
Old Jul 20, 2008, 07:33 PM
The Lone Blue Plaid Flyer
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,585 Posts
Hi Guys,

I just finsihed my Riser 112 I have been building for 120 days. The last thing I did was to proudly place our Logo on the plane. See photo. Maiden to happen on the 27th.

Bob in Seattle
Bob Cook is offline Find More Posts by Bob Cook
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 20, 2008, 07:37 PM
We'll all float on OK
Casselberry, Florida
Joined Dec 2002
1,506 Posts
No one has answered Skycruiser, so It's a good thing I'm here.

That Aircraft has a V Tail. It will not fly.
Old Jul 20, 2008, 07:45 PM
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,406 Posts
Bob you have indeed set the bar for all Blue Plaid Squadron members, be them v-tail or not. I have my bottle of toasting wine chilling in prep of your maiden flight. I will pick up some gourmet cheese before Saturday and will be waiting for the report.

Wayne
Old Jul 20, 2008, 07:48 PM
The Lone Blue Plaid Flyer
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,585 Posts
Thanks Wayne. I too bought a special bottle of Pinot Gris and some great cheese in prep for the after maiden party. Thanks for designing a great logo for us.

Bob in Seattle
Bob Cook is offline Find More Posts by Bob Cook
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 21, 2008, 08:55 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Not sure which costs Bob more - this hobby, or the supporting cheese-and-wine habit..
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Jul 21, 2008, 09:16 AM
United States, OH, Bradford
Joined Jun 2005
3,930 Posts
Quote:
...That Aircraft has a V Tail. It will not fly.
I have built hundreds of models that most definitely could not fly, that did NOT have a V-tail. Some had T-tails, but the vast majority had conventional tails. They were kitted by major companies with excellent reputations (Monogram, Airfix, Revell, Testor, Hasagawa, Tamiya, etc.), but the best they could manage was "falling with style", if that much.

OTOH, the percentage of models I've built with V-tails that could fly (and fly well) is far higher.

That's the hard data. Statistically speaking, V-tails fly better than other tail types. Read it and weep.

Q.E.D.
Don Stackhouse is offline Find More Posts by Don Stackhouse