HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 11, 2008, 02:18 PM
Joined Oct 2006
2,047 Posts
Discussion
TGY DP 3a 1 Gram Brushless ESC ($20!)

Has anybody started a thread on this little guy yet? I'm tempted to start building some micro flyers that don't involve me stripping down more Aero Aces or my Piloto. Do they also carry cheap RXs, servos, and accuators? Haven't looked yet.

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=7184
critterhunter is offline Find More Posts by critterhunter
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 11, 2008, 03:13 PM
USA, NC, Apex
Joined Aug 2003
836 Posts
I've ordered one (along with their new <5gm brushless motor), it has shipped, but hasn't arrived yet. Really looking forward to this.

Tim
Tim Cullip is offline Find More Posts by Tim Cullip
Old Jul 12, 2008, 01:29 PM
TheyreComingToTakeMeAway!
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,458 Posts
bah, its only a single cell controller. it wont work for any bl edfs or anything like that.
derk is offline Find More Posts by derk
Old Jul 12, 2008, 06:05 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by derk
bah, its only a single cell controller. it wont work for any bl edfs or anything like that.
Correction: It won't work for any 2 cell bl edf's....
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Jul 12, 2008, 06:35 PM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
United States, MI, Temperance
Joined Sep 2002
6,561 Posts
Bidproduct has what appears to be the same controller AND a 2g motor...Hummmm..??

http://bidproduct.com/part/Product_v...%20ESC_95.html
http://bidproduct.com/part/Product_v...MOTOR_238.html

I've had problems with small single cell brushless setups in the past. They didn't like starting the motor consistently. I had a Microbatics controller that worked with the motor, but only worker properly with the Microbatics RX and then someone offered me $100 for the controller (guess what happened to the controller).

Do I assume that the bidproduct combo has actually been tested, or do I assume too much??
Tim Wolff is online now Find More Posts by Tim Wolff
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 12, 2008, 07:11 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,207 Posts
Hopefully, Tim C will give it a good work out and let us know the results.
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Jul 12, 2008, 07:46 PM
USA, NC, Apex
Joined Aug 2003
836 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged
Hopefully, Tim C will give it a good work out and let us know the results.
I'll gladly report on the ESC when it arrives (supposedly shipped on the 10th).

Now that 2gm motor sure looks inviting - I'll have to consider it soon. What a combo my 1gm MicroInvent Rx, 2 1.6gm Falcon servos, 1gm ESC, the 2gm motor, 100mah cell would make - the possibilities would be intriguing.

What I'd really like to see is someone come up with a lightweight small brushed esc output to brushless esc input converter so I could hook this 1 cell brushless esc up to a Parkzone cessna brick. Seems like it would an easy thing to build out of a simple microprocessor (just converting a high frequency brushed esc output PWM into a servo PWM input - one input, one output, simple program?).

Tim
Old Jul 12, 2008, 08:09 PM
VE7FM
Canada, BC, Langley
Joined Nov 2004
1,726 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Cullip
I'll gladly report on the ESC when it arrives (supposedly shipped on the 10th).

Now that 2gm motor sure looks inviting - I'll have to consider it soon. What a combo my 1gm MicroInvent Rx, 2 1.6gm Falcon servos, 1gm ESC, the 2gm motor, 100mah cell would make - the possibilities would be intriguing.

What I'd really like to see is someone come up with a lightweight small brushed esc output to brushless esc input converter so I could hook this 1 cell brushless esc up to a Parkzone cessna brick. Seems like it would an easy thing to build out of a simple microprocessor (just converting a high frequency brushed esc output PWM into a servo PWM input - one input, one output, simple program?).

Tim
If its a 2khz PWM motor output there are converters made to generate a standard PWM signal to drive a brushless ESC. Lots of people use them to convert the Walkera 4#3 helicopter to a brushless main motor, it runs on 1S Lipo.

I also have two of the 1 gram ESCs and two of the 2 gram motors coming, I am going to see if they can be used for tail drive on the Walkera 4#3 helicopter. Reliable starting is the challenge. I have a brushless 1S esc that starts the small motors 100% of the time perfectly but you need to assemble it yourself.
TheSteve is offline Find More Posts by TheSteve
Old Jul 13, 2008, 04:43 AM
A.K.A sir Crashalot
Ístersund, SWEDEN
Joined Sep 2005
915 Posts
what 2 gram motor... what have i missed ??

/Ulf
methuso is offline Find More Posts by methuso
Old Jul 13, 2008, 09:38 AM
Montreal, Canada
Joined Feb 2003
1,907 Posts
this one: http://bidproduct.com/part/Product_v...MOTOR_238.html
CA'ed fingers is offline Find More Posts by CA'ed fingers
Old Jul 13, 2008, 09:48 AM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
United States, MI, Temperance
Joined Sep 2002
6,561 Posts
Dang it. Ordered 'em both since they were in the cart

Added a note to my PP payment for the 3300 KV motor since I saw no other way to specify my choice.

Got a confirmation e-mail the next day. Will ship on 7-22 and take 12-22 days. I've also got nothing to put it in LOL.
Tim Wolff is online now Find More Posts by Tim Wolff
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Tim Wolff; Jul 15, 2008 at 07:25 PM.
Old Jul 15, 2008, 05:09 PM
Joined Jul 2005
507 Posts
anyone received a 2gram motor or esc yet?
busta1 is offline Find More Posts by busta1
Old Jul 15, 2008, 07:28 PM
USA, NC, Apex
Joined Aug 2003
836 Posts
I received the ESC and motor (the 5gm motor from UH, not the 2gm from the paypal site).

Here is some very preliminary impressions and measurements.

The ESC is tiny! Without any wires attached, the board is 0.8gm, with a connector and wires to attach it to my Falcon Breeze block it weights 1.0gm.
It could be made even lighter if you removed all connectors and soldered the wires directly to it - but I'm not going to bother with that.

The motor without mount is 4.8gm and with mount it is 5.0gm, include a parkzone cessna prop and it tops out at 5.3gms.

I don't have a fully charged single lipo cell, but I did hook it up to one that was at about 3.6v and the motor ran at 8000rpm on a GWS 3x3 (didn't measure the rpm of the cessna prop yet). Haven't hooked up a watt meter yet to see what amps it pulled (I'm pretty sure it is under an amp).

Start up and throttle response was pretty smooth (most of the time, some times the motor wanted to cut out above 3/4ths throttle, but I think it was something in the connections rather than an inherent problem of the motor/esc combo - but I'll have to investigate it further to convince myself of that. Haven't even read the manual yet to see what programming features are available for the ESC (timing is the main thing I'll look into).

Overall, I'm very pleased with the ESC and would buy more of them in the future. The motor is nice, but 5gm motors aren't that hard to come by these days and it'll take more time and testing before I am convinced it is something special.

I'll report later when I've run more tests (various props, amps, thrust, etc).

I'm real tempted to order one of the 2gm motors, I think that weight motor with this 1gm ESC would be quite a combo (especially if you hooked it up to a MicroInvent receiver and used actuators - you could have a whole flight system rx/esc/motor/battery/actuators at about 7gms).

Tim
Old Jul 15, 2008, 07:36 PM
USA, NC, Apex
Joined Aug 2003
836 Posts
By the way, this is the motor I'm referring to: AD-C5 Micro Motor 4.6g Weight 3700Kv
Old Jul 16, 2008, 01:34 PM
Joined Jul 2005
507 Posts
thanks for the report Tim. I am gutted the 2 gram motors sold out before I ordered. They would be perfect for my plantraco servo rx and two toki servos aswell . Its amazing how quickly these brushless motors are being developed.

I brought the turnigy 4.5 gram motor from HC last month and thought 'great' but a two grammer! WOW!
busta1 is offline Find More Posts by busta1