SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 06, 2003, 11:56 AM
It's all fun till Crunch!
InSane Diego
Joined Jan 2002
1,961 Posts
I agree, let's go race and ignore the side line sniping from others.

Capt Chrunch
Capt. Crunch is online now Find More Posts by Capt. Crunch
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2003, 07:54 PM
Speed Demon
Antioch,CA,USA
Joined Dec 1999
12,311 Posts
I say any motor should be allowed as long as it's in the typical S400 can, including the Rockets but not the long can motors. Only one motor allowed. No more than 7 cells of any sort. That about covers everything, doesn't it?
GregG is offline Find More Posts by GregG
Old Feb 06, 2003, 08:38 PM
San Diego, CA, USA
Joined Nov 2001
2,820 Posts
GregG,

The powers at SEFSD have set the speed 400 pylon race rule at using only a 6 volt speed 400 period! We are not flying AMA rules.

Suggestions will be accepted, but they will not be acccepted. Other clubs may set their own rules.

Chuck
rcelectfly is offline Find More Posts by rcelectfly
Old Feb 07, 2003, 06:06 AM
United States, MI, Commerce Charter Township
Joined Dec 2000
1,310 Posts
I found out about the previous use of the 4.8V motor from Ralph Weaver at the NATS this year. We were discussing my setup and he told me that they started 400 pylon off with the 4.8V motor and 5 cells in planes like the Bill Griggs Rocket, Graupner Mini-Viper etc.

I also have a kit of the K&A Dago Red that shows this setup on the plans. At the time, it would have been a competitive racer to the stick built planes that were flown.

It could be that these racers used the 5 cell setups because the radio gear and cells available back then were soo heavy?

Dave
Dave Campbell is offline Find More Posts by Dave Campbell
Old Feb 08, 2003, 01:27 AM
301MPH!
San Diego, California, United States
Joined Jan 2001
655 Posts
Good luck tomorrow! See you next race.

Doug
speedster is offline Find More Posts by speedster
Old Feb 21, 2003, 10:41 PM
San Diego, CA, USA
Joined Mar 2001
3,068 Posts
New Race scheduling idea...

Hey threre SD racers,

We want to maximize the amount of racing we can do and minimize the impact on the sport fliers at the field on race days. The idea we've been tossing around goes as follows:

Each pilot carries his airplane and two charged batteries out to the course. We would fly two 10-lap races per battery pack, so each pilot would get to fly in 4 heats. We could rotate pilots in the heats so that motors and batteries could cool down a little, but it might be faster to just fly two heats back to back, then let the motor cool, change battery... etc.

We'd really like to try this, as it should be able to double the races we get, without annoying the neighbors too much. It might effectively dictate that KAN or HE cells be used, as 600AE's might not quite give 20 laps + reserve...

Any thoughts or ideas?

-David
davidfee is offline Find More Posts by davidfee
Old Feb 22, 2003, 12:30 AM
Newport Coast, Ca
Joined Feb 2002
19 Posts
Why not allow battery changes between the first and second heats? If your going to have enough time for motors/batteries to cool down it seems logical that you would also have enough time to change batteries.
W. Cole is offline Find More Posts by W. Cole
Old Feb 22, 2003, 12:52 AM
San Diego, CA, USA
Joined Mar 2001
3,068 Posts
Hey Will,
You're right, if we're leaving time for motors to cool down, that would allow a battery change... but we're thinking that it would be more efficient to fly two races back to back, then switch pilots/callers/flaggers as needed. The KAN's and HE cells will do well over 25 laps without breaking a sweat, so this starts to look good. It could take easily 5 minutes for 3 pilots to change batteries, and 5 minutes is enough time to fly a whole race.

So, this is why we're talking about it... to see what people think. Personally, I like the idea because I think it will keep things moving quickly... which is good for all parties concerned (especially the non-racers who have to quit flying so we can race).

Any other thoughts?
Old Feb 22, 2003, 09:28 AM
Speed Demon
Antioch,CA,USA
Joined Dec 1999
12,311 Posts
Don't the KAN cells work better when they're hot anyway?
GregG is offline Find More Posts by GregG
Old Feb 22, 2003, 11:47 AM
San Diego, CA, USA
Joined Mar 2001
3,068 Posts
Yes, the KAN cells (and HE's as well) work much better when they are warm.
Old Feb 24, 2003, 12:01 AM
Caution:Makes sharp left turns
United States, CA, Lake Forest
Joined Feb 1999
6,011 Posts
Well, I guess it's a good thing I just put an on/off switch on my S400 pylon racer I don't have any problems with a format like this. I guess the only way to find out how it works is to try it. Obviously, we would want to make sure people land promptly after their heat.
Troy is offline Find More Posts by Troy
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 26, 2003, 01:17 AM
San Diego, CA, USA
Joined Mar 2001
3,068 Posts
The next SD race day will be Saturday, March 8th... the 2nd Saturday of the Month. Jeff Keesaman will be the CD.

Bring S400, foamies, F5D, F5D-SD, etc!!!

I think we'll plan on trying out the new S400 schedule, but we'll play things by ear. People may still need time to get together two suitable packs.

See ya!
David Fee
Old Feb 28, 2003, 02:00 AM
301MPH!
San Diego, California, United States
Joined Jan 2001
655 Posts
Time?

What time does the races start?
speedster is offline Find More Posts by speedster
Old Feb 28, 2003, 02:50 AM
San Diego, CA, USA
Joined Mar 2001
3,068 Posts
I'm not sure about the time... will have to check with the CD.

We had been shooting for 9:30~ish, but we may need to start later.