HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 11, 2008, 07:44 AM
Joined May 2006
8,108 Posts
I like your test stand. Since you already have the eagle tree, it sounds from Lavochkin's comment, like the eagle tree speed sensor would be a nice easy add-on to measure e-flux speed (whatever the heck that is). That way you could incorporate it right into your graphs etc.
Socomon is offline Find More Posts by Socomon
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 11, 2008, 08:32 AM
Renegade Fun Forever!!
Fontana, California, United States
Joined Jul 2004
27,256 Posts
Hi Steve,
E-Flux is the speed of which the air leaves the fan
rvincent is online now Find More Posts by rvincent
Old Jul 11, 2008, 09:04 AM
Joined May 2006
8,108 Posts
Thanks Bob. I kinda guessed that was the case based on what Lav said to do with the "how-fast", but wasn't positive.
Old Jul 11, 2008, 11:08 AM
Build'em and Crash'em
Narragansett, RI
Joined Oct 2000
3,160 Posts
Nice set up but you need to change the rig a bit. The airflow into the fan needs to be free of obstructions. Your set up clearly has all kinds of air flow problems I would suggest that you mount the fan up much higher on the fan mount to clear it

Ken
Ken Lapointe is offline Find More Posts by Ken Lapointe
Old Jul 11, 2008, 11:48 AM
Michigan
Joined Jun 2005
620 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Lapointe
Nice set up but you need to change the rig a bit. The airflow into the fan needs to be free of obstructions. Your set up clearly has all kinds of air flow problems I would suggest that you mount the fan up much higher on the fan mount to clear it

Ken

Ken, good observation. Yeah I wanted to mount the fan higher but then I run into additional design issues in regards to rail flex and keeping everything straight without binding. The height is based on fitting a max fan dia of 120mm with approx 1" of clearance. In order to keep everything tidy and somewhat compact its really what I am stuck with for now but based on my initial testing inlet air shouldn't be affected to much and for what I am trying to achieve serves the purpose.

Thanks again for comments guys.

Dennis
DForbes is offline Find More Posts by DForbes
Old Jul 11, 2008, 12:13 PM
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Dec 1996
7,927 Posts
Well you'd do good to test it in a Minifan 480, the Coke of EDFs. That way you can compare it to other motors since there's lots of other data out there on the MF 480, which hardly any on the 3" haoye, if there is any. I keep a spreadsheet of motor performance data I see on Ezone and I don't think I've got any numbers for the 3" haoye, maybe I missed it.

6mm depron is a quick way to make an inlet lip, cut a donut of it, glue to the front of the fan with UHU Creative and carve/sand the inlet lip into it, that'll help a lot with thrust gain, takes about 10 minutes. Some fans like the MF480 come with an inlet lip, and it's not available pre-balanced.
Ed Waldrep is offline Find More Posts by Ed Waldrep
Old Jul 11, 2008, 12:24 PM
Renegade Fun Forever!!
Joined Jul 2004
27,256 Posts
Well I've played with the Haoyes for about a year now. Very under rated units. They require a bunch of torque and that means amps, but man are they quiet and LOTS of thrust. I don't think they will break any speed records, but for scale ships they will be tough to beat. Plus I really like the turbine like sound they have It will be interesting to see how other motors do?
Old Jul 11, 2008, 08:12 PM
Hey Ya'll!! Watch THIS!!
Nashville TN.
Joined Mar 2006
2,555 Posts
Amen on the Hoaye fans sound!! Man they sound great!!
"Like the Hoover from Hell" LOL!!!
Michael Paxton is offline Find More Posts by Michael Paxton
Old Jul 11, 2008, 08:22 PM
Joined May 2006
8,108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvincent
Plus I really like the turbine like sound they have
Ok, so it wasn't my imagination then. I watched a video of a guy's FlyFly sabre and I commented that the thing sounded like a turbine to me when it went past - but I didn't understand why.
Old Jul 11, 2008, 10:34 PM
Michigan
Joined Jun 2005
620 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Waldrep
Well you'd do good to test it in a Minifan 480, the Coke of EDFs. That way you can compare it to other motors since there's lots of other data out there on the MF 480, which hardly any on the 3" haoye, if there is any. I keep a spreadsheet of motor performance data I see on Ezone and I don't think I've got any numbers for the 3" haoye, maybe I missed it.

6mm depron is a quick way to make an inlet lip, cut a donut of it, glue to the front of the fan with UHU Creative and carve/sand the inlet lip into it, that'll help a lot with thrust gain, takes about 10 minutes. Some fans like the MF480 come with an inlet lip, and it's not available pre-balanced.

I definetely want to try a Minifan 480 and the Het 6904. I know the JS will fit the Mini but I haven't been able to find any info on the max motor dia the Het 6904 fan will accept. I am guessing the 6904 is an equivalent to the Mini but need someone to confirm this.

lavochkin also recommended using depron sheet to form an inlet, might have to try if its as quick as you say.

Dennis
Old Jul 11, 2008, 11:22 PM
Renegade Fun Forever!!
Joined Jul 2004
27,256 Posts
It fits ALL of them I am running 3 planes with HET6904 fans
Old Jul 11, 2008, 11:23 PM
Michigan
Joined Jun 2005
620 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvincent
It fits ALL of them I am running 3 planes with HET6904 fans
Good deal, thanks. Looks like I gotta spend more money

Dennis
Old Jul 12, 2008, 12:17 AM
Renegade Fun Forever!!
Joined Jul 2004
27,256 Posts
just for grins, I ran an Alfa fan today without an inlet lip and then with one. The difference was almost 30% more thrust, and MUCH quieter, smoother running set up. With the sweet smooth tones of the Haoye already, add the inlet and it will be a Stealth set up
Old Jul 12, 2008, 03:35 AM
Mach 0.261 ... Hiccup of Wiggy
Wiggy Poo, England!
Joined Mar 2006
1,258 Posts
Nice one Dennis...

So, Guys, whats the best battery pack size and esc for the JS1400 then pleeeease?

Me and Dennis are itching to know.
Thanks
George
Geo420 is offline Find More Posts by Geo420
Old Jul 12, 2008, 07:40 AM
GRX
gettin on the banned wagon
Joined Jun 2008
601 Posts
I think you'll need something like 5S 4000 min to get the 1400 watts
4000 Kv
3-5 cells