Closed Thread
Old Jul 10, 2008, 08:18 PM
It's just a hobby
USA, GA, Hoschton
Joined Nov 2005
10,197 Posts
Discussion
The 3DHS Addict Support Group

I posted in another thread that buying, flying and talking about 3DHS Planes is so addictive that it's like an "incurable disease". A few weeks ago I ordered the 55SHP thinking "This will be my last 3DHS plane for a while". Well the SHP arrived today and no sooner than it hit the door I was trying to figure out how to raise money for the 55" Edge.

Edit: Chip Geek suggested I put links to all the 3DHS threads so here you go...

MLT
MLT67 is offline Find More Posts by MLT67
Last edited by MLT67; Dec 05, 2009 at 05:38 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 10, 2008, 08:27 PM
VBARRRR
USA, CA, San Bruno
Joined Jul 2007
2,502 Posts
i wish i was a 3DHaholic
brian94066 is offline Find More Posts by brian94066
Old Jul 10, 2008, 08:30 PM
Ham Call Sign: KK4KGJ
United States, GA, Stone Mountain
Joined May 2006
2,255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLT67
I posted in another thread that buying, flying and talking about 3DHS Planes is so addictive that it's like an "incurable disease". A few weeks ago I ordered the 55SHP thinking "This will be my last 3DHS plane for a while". Well the SHP arrived today and no sooner than it hit the door I was trying to figure out how to raise money for the 40inch Edge that will be released soon.

They say that the first step to recovery is to admit your an addict so I thought I would start this support group so we can help recover from our disease.

I will start again in the official forum

Hello - My name is Michael and I'm a 3DHS-aholic..... I'm so addicted to 3DHS that I just sold all my power tools to raise money for my next 3DHS plane. Now I have to figure out how to explain to my wife why the bedroom remodel wont be finished for quite some time.

MLT
First off I'm not a 3DHS addict. But I am an airplane addict. So I share your pain. I am constantly reading and building new planes. I have 5 in the basement right now, waiting. Currently trying to design a UAV for AP. Had to give the buying a break for a while and work some OT at work to refund my bank account. Wives get extremely mad if they can't buy the Coach bags. Or she doesn't have enough money to buy the kids some food. I don't know why they just can't eat Ramen noodles for a while.

I need my power tools for building, so I won't be selling those. Need to have a garage sell so I can buy some new lipos. Maybe the kids don't really need that XBOX! hmmmm

Hello, My name is Joe. I'm a RC plane/heli addict. I surf RCG at work. I hide models from my wife in the basement. My friends at HobbyTown sold me out, when my wife came with me one day. When I can go fly, it either rains or my wife finds another Honey-Do. My club doesn't do enough activities. Sadly SEFF is only once a year! Help me Mac Hodges, you're my only hope!!
Buzz Bomb is offline Find More Posts by Buzz Bomb
Last edited by Buzz Bomb; Jul 10, 2008 at 08:36 PM.
Old Jul 10, 2008, 08:42 PM
Don't lie to my dog.
United States, DE, Wilmington
Joined Jun 2005
3,062 Posts
Hello, I am Gregg. I have been a 3DHS addict for about a year now. I have 3 now with a Slick on order and plans for 2 more. But I will not admit that it is a problem.
Gregg28 is offline Find More Posts by Gregg28
Old Jul 10, 2008, 08:53 PM
May the Farce be with you...
Duncanville, Alabama. USA
Joined Dec 2006
8,475 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian94066
i wish i was a 3DHaholic
Ben is only a phone call away.

I don't know how much I've spent on 3DHS planes since I discovered them a while back. I don't want to know. It was All worth every $$ I spent.

The quality and customer support is unmatched.

I haven't had to sell anything yet to finance my 3DHS shop habit but, I will do so if it seems necessary.

My name is George, I'm a Certified Koolaid Junkie. (And Proud of it).
refugeefromcalif is offline Find More Posts by refugeefromcalif
Old Jul 10, 2008, 08:55 PM
Renton, Wa.
Joined Feb 2006
1,652 Posts
Ditto on everything said. I start planning the next one while I am building the current one on the table. Now that Ben is bringing them out faster than I can keep up the only question is which one do I want the most. Since the Slick is on backorder that one is out of the equation, so 3 to make a choice on, Sukhoi, Edge, 40 and 47 inch. I basically have all the gear for the two size Edge scenario but wait, if I do this or that I could get all three,. Yep, I'm addicted too, but is'nt it fun.
Steve
stevelmaa is online now Find More Posts by stevelmaa
Old Jul 10, 2008, 09:10 PM
Time For Me To Fly!
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
4,963 Posts
Hi im Real and im recovering.. My story started out about 2 years ago. I phoned 3dhs to inquire about the yak and katana they first released.. it was like no other call to any shop or manufacturer ive ever made.. i talked to the owner,keep in mind the planes were still not even out yet. I was amazed at the amount of knowledge i was hearing.. not just a customer service person but someone who actually flew the planes and knew everything about them and he was very fourthcoming. I already was very interested in the new planes but was a bit hesitant to order something from out of state with the local track record around here for receiving packages damaged or ripped apart etc. The pre orders opened for the new planes a week or so later and i ordered the yak 54.. it was triple boxed.. the normal box and two exterior boxes and short of getting hit by a lift truck or run over by a car there was almost no way the local package handlers could hurt it. On to the plane.. fit,finish,ease of assembly,looks,price.. and the icing on the cake.. it flew better than any plane relative in size ive ever flown. From there it was history.. over the past two years ive owned every 47'' plane and two of the 55''s and they all fly great and can take everything i throw at them(i was used to worrying if the stab would snap and other parts prior to this because my planes prior ripped apart in the air sometimes),once you fly one you want to fly them all.. ofcourse youll find ways to finance them or justify a new plane instead of things like a washing machine that needs to be replaced,tires for your car or repairs around the house etc. Its isnt easy either.. they just keep coming out with more cool planes,its a viscous cycle. Im very lucky,my girlfriends past and present have always been supportive of my hobbys so its even harder to restrain from getting another plane.. ''you have fun when you fly you should get that new one if you want it'' is what i hear . What makes it even more difficult is flying the 3dhs planes is so easy because of there design.. your flying starts to progress at an accellerated rate and you have even more fun than with any other planes youve flown. Like i said im recovering.. my current fleet 2 helis,one BAF foamy and my extra sr,one way i tricked myself into another plane was to try and break them in the air with the most violent high speed set ups and moves i could put together with gear i have.. hey if you crash one bad enough they can break.. so why not get the next new one to replace it right . Ive convinced myself i can only keep two planes flying and the only way to get another is to break or crash one.. finances should be better in the next month or two and i think i'll be short a plane or two by then and will need a shiny new replacement . Ive seen people blow money on other habits and have regrets,im glad my habit is flying.. now to get my cardboard sign that says will work for 3dhs planes and stand around the fire barrel with the rest of the 3dhs koolaid junkies.
Get Real is offline Find More Posts by Get Real
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Farm Flying
Old Jul 10, 2008, 09:16 PM
United States, MA, Hadley
Joined Oct 2006
216 Posts
YUP I am not going to lie to anyone......... I dont have a problem, I like to refer to it as an issue. I just need a plane for each day of the week. Why am I selling off some other models ?? Well, my weeks just seem to bit a bit longer nowadays since I work 7 days in a so called week, and about 14hrs a day, that would equate to a 98hr week. So, divide that by your average 8hr/day 5 day week, that would mean I need to have approx. 12.25 planes............ OKAY, DAMN IT I HAVE A PROBLEM, Ben doesnt have enough planes RIGHT NOW TO GET ME THROUGH THE WEEK
nighthawk117 is offline Find More Posts by nighthawk117
Old Jul 10, 2008, 09:36 PM
Fly Low or you'll never know!
Thornton, Colorado
Joined Jul 2002
3,813 Posts
Here's what I need to order.

87" SHP
57" Sukhoi
49" Sukhoi
AJ Slick
Edge 540 47" and maybe the 55" when available.

Then what ever else catch's my eye.

Give them all. I can't stop.
RC4x4 is offline Find More Posts by RC4x4
Old Jul 10, 2008, 09:38 PM
O.N.E.
behind the sticks
Joined Sep 2006
2,014 Posts
This says it all for me.
ClioRC is offline Find More Posts by ClioRC
Old Jul 10, 2008, 09:46 PM
215.0 MPH
United States, VT, Essex
Joined Jul 2007
1,176 Posts
In medical terminology, addiction is a state in which the body relies on a substance for normal functioning and develops physical dependence. When this substance is suddenly removed, it will cause withdrawal, a characteristic set of signs and symptoms. Addiction is generally associated with increased drug tolerance. In medical terms, addiction is not necessarily associated with substance abuse since addiction can result from using medicine as prescribed by a doctor.

However, common usuage of the term addiction has spread to include a wider range of meanings, including ones asociated with psychological dependence. It is used to describe a recurring compulsion by an individual to engage in some specific activity, despite harmful consequences to the individual's health, mental state or social life. The term is often reserved for substance abuse problems or drug addictions but it is sometimes applied to other compulsions, such as problem gambling, and computer addiction. Factors that have been suggested as causes of addiction include genetic, biological/pharmacological, spiritual and social factors.

I am not an addict, I am not an addict, I am not an addict...... I can quit anytime I want, wait, I think that beep means my lipo's are charged, be right back................,hold please, my speed-dial to Ben just got through!, What do you mean my CC is maxed!, use this one...........,

How many times do I have to say this, the UPS guy does not live at my house........ He does stop somewhere else more than here, (I think!).........

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLT67
I posted in another thread that buying, flying and talking about 3DHS Planes is so addictive that it's like an "incurable disease". A few weeks ago I ordered the 55SHP thinking "This will be my last 3DHS plane for a while". Well the SHP arrived today and no sooner than it hit the door I was trying to figure out how to raise money for the 40inch Edge that will be released soon.

They say that the first step to recovery is to admit your an addict so I thought I would start this support group so we can help recover from our disease.

I will start again in the official forum

Hello - My name is Michael and I'm a 3DHS-aholic..... I'm so addicted to 3DHS that I just sold all my power tools to raise money for my next 3DHS plane. Now I have to figure out how to explain to my wife why the bedroom remodel wont be finished for quite some time.

MLT
markusvt is offline Find More Posts by markusvt
Last edited by markusvt; Jul 10, 2008 at 10:01 PM.
Old Jul 10, 2008, 09:48 PM
VBARRRR
USA, CA, San Bruno
Joined Jul 2007
2,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by refugeefromcalif
Ben is only a phone call away.

I don't know how much I've spent on 3DHS planes since I discovered them a while back. I don't want to know. It was All worth every $$ I spent.

The quality and customer support is unmatched.

I haven't had to sell anything yet to finance my 3DHS shop habit but, I will do so if it seems necessary.

My name is George, I'm a Certified Koolaid Junkie. (And Proud of it).
my current 3D on order is the PA addiction, i just bought it because it looks killer and it has crazy CFs but i'm sure i see an SHP and a velox in the near future
brian94066 is offline Find More Posts by brian94066
Old Jul 10, 2008, 09:49 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,434 Posts
Well, the thing about support goups is that they are for people who want to get better. I don't. I just want more 3D Hobby Shop planes.

OH, YEAH!
Doc Austin is online now Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Last edited by Doc Austin; Feb 24, 2009 at 06:59 PM.
Old Jul 10, 2008, 09:56 PM
I used to be all thumbs...
United States, KS, Pittsburg
Joined Mar 2005
7,060 Posts
I first realized I had a problem a few years ago. It all started with outstanding customer support. But you have to be careful, that's how they get you. Next thing I new, I was on the preorder list for the first 47" SHP.

When the package arrived, I could hardly contain myself. I had prepared to spend all weekend building my new plane. However, late on the first night, I had finished all but the minor details of the build, and I was left with a longing for more...

And then came the maiden... Oh, the sweet, sweet flying machine. I can still hear the sound of the prop, spinning in the wind, and the unbelievable gracefulness of the plane. I knew at that point that I must have another.

At first, I was able to control myself enough that I could manage to go for a few months without another fix, but just when I thought I had it under control, something bigger and badder came out... the 55" line. First the SHP, then the Kat.. Oh... that beautiful Kat...

My desire to quench my thirst for the ultimate model drove me to occasionally buy other brand of planes. However, these models never satisfied the craving for model supieriority like 3DH and thus, most still remain in the box. Often, with all necessary equipment neatly packaged on the nearest shelf. When I would push myself to build one of these planes, they always end up unflown, and in the corner.

I'm really not sure how next year or so went, but I awoke one morning to find an entire fleet of 3DH planes in my work room waiting for my attention. Big ones, Little ones, new ones, and crashed ones... All of them crying to me day and night... Come on buddy.. just one more flight...

The addiction has greatly influenced other areas of my life. At work, I demanded duel displays on my desktop computer so that I could constantly monitor 3DH threads, even if I was to busy to respond. Recently, my addiction has forced me to purchase a new vehicle. I've convinced myself (and my wife) that my old vehicle was needing replaced, but the truth is, I needed something that would allow me to more easily transport the larger 50cc sized models in the fleet to the field and back.

Being an addict is hard work. It takes amazing strength to leave your desires in order to work and earn so that you can in turn feed those desires. Personally, I don't know how much more I can take of this. Some mornings, I wake and wonder how I got to this point. Then I enter my work room, grab a plane and head to the field for a quick fix... and then.. all is better.......

My name is Noah... and I'm a 3DH addict....
NumbSkull is offline Find More Posts by NumbSkull
Old Jul 10, 2008, 10:02 PM
Ham Call Sign: KK4KGJ
United States, GA, Stone Mountain
Joined May 2006
2,255 Posts
3DHS should give you guys a sticker or something. LOL!
Buzz Bomb is offline Find More Posts by Buzz Bomb
Closed Thread