HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 05, 2001, 11:09 AM
sb1
Charlotte,NC
Joined Jun 2001
235 Posts
to mag or not to mag lives(kyosho 180)

Well the kyosho cessna 180 flew today with the MM direct drive 8x4 e-prop, 6 cell 1400 scr packs. ROG was quick and easy, good climb out and 5-6 minute duration flights. After flying the s/400 planes I am hooked on the MM and the type of planes I can fly with it. Ready to fly weight is 48 oz,standard servos/gear. Have no idea why I thought I had to have a g/box with this plane as it flew very well. With 7-8 cells it would be more than enough with better duration as a guess. John E you were right!

Thanks,
sb1
sb1 is offline Find More Posts by sb1
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 05, 2001, 11:18 AM
Kou
Andover,MA.,USA
Joined Aug 2001
735 Posts
Would you mind to post some data...... I am particularly interested in the Amp draw, the ESC that you use, RPM and very interested in the way the plane handle in windy condition.

I like to move out of the 10-20 oz class (SP400) into 40-48 oz class of plane but don't want to spend excessive amount of $$. The MM seem to be the way to do it.

BTW, Do you use a clam shell type motor mount ? Thanks.

MK
Kou is offline Find More Posts by Kou
Old Sep 05, 2001, 11:46 AM
sb1
Charlotte,NC
Joined Jun 2001
235 Posts
Kou,
I have 21.99 in the MM, 85.00 in the 180 everything else I had already bought and used on other planes. The packs are 7 yr old 1400 scr 6-cells that I used when I raced rc offroad trucks, the esc is a 24.99 wattage IC-380 rated at 30 amps continous and 50 surge. I used the stock motor mount that came with the 180 and used tie wraps to hold the motor down. I use the standard jr 537 servos and gear and if my scale is correct it weighs 47 oz. Me and John E had been debating this for a week and he could give you more info then me. The weather finally was good enough to fly, although it was windy today and after landing it hard I decided it was too windy and will try it when it is calmer. It flew well and had more than enough power to get me out of some trouble, I am far from a veteran pilot, so I was not eager to try it again.
Hope this helps Kou.

sb1
Old Sep 05, 2001, 01:21 PM
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Aug 2000
7,893 Posts
Good job, sb1!

Now if you are "hooked" on Speed 600 power, try a geared Kyosho Endoplasma (aka Endo) in a 50" sport plane.

Remember to hang on to your hat!
Greg Covey is offline Find More Posts by Greg Covey
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Greg's Web Hangar
Old Sep 05, 2001, 02:07 PM
Bristol, England
Joined Aug 2000
2,077 Posts
Success

I'm so happy that you are pleased with the outcome sb. Thank you for reporting back to us.

Kou, my relationship with the MM goes back over 12 months, 3 airframes, 4 or more different battery packs and a number of props. I have taken a number of readings, many have slipped my mind - but on 7 cells my ammeter read 25 amps with the 8x4 APC-E, I seem to remember 13 000 revs for that - though that seems a little on the high side (13 500 with a 7x4 on 7 cells for 22 amps), and faster models seem to prefer a 7x5 APC(-E)

We ran a HH Scout on sb's power and it flew for 5 minutes or so with 6 1300s, but 7 2000s gives considerably better performance for over 10 minutes - 8 cells are better. I did fly the Scout at 51oz to test whether the MM direct might be suitable for the 180!

I am not suggesting the MM as the best 600 size motor (though it's far better than many), but it does appear that this IS the motor that the accountants removed from the 180 kit (direct replacement).

Strangely a friend was so impressed with my MMs that he was keen to exchange them for some 8x1300 NiMh packs, perhaps you guys can suggest what I could do with them and a spare 400 6v

Best regards, John

[This message has been edited by John E (edited 09-05-2001).]
John E is offline Find More Posts by John E
Old Sep 05, 2001, 02:15 PM
Bristol, England
Joined Aug 2000
2,077 Posts
It did take me quite a time to write that.

If I was to do it again? I would probably cut out the 7/8 cell stage and look more towards the 10 cell sports planes - in which area Greg's highly geared Endoplasma has quite a reputation.
Old Sep 05, 2001, 03:33 PM
Kou
Andover,MA.,USA
Joined Aug 2001
735 Posts
Thanks for the info. I just bought an Atomic Force and am deciding whether I should go with an Endo or MM.

My next problem is that there aren't too many planes out there for this type of motor..... especially ARF.

MK
Kou is offline Find More Posts by Kou
Old Sep 05, 2001, 04:29 PM
Bristol, England
Joined Aug 2000
2,077 Posts
Kou,

As I'm sure you know, the Endoplasma and Atomic Force are from the same series, but the Atomic Force is 17 turn against the Endo's 16 turns. Of the three only the MM could be used direct, but I don't see why you shouldn't use the Atomic Force at something over 3:1 to power a 180 on 7 or 8 cells - failing that, head on over to Sports Planes saying that you have an Atomic Force and see what sort of response you get (think of tall gearing and 10 cells!)

As this is heading right outside my area I'm not going to make any further suggestions.

Good luck, John
Old Sep 05, 2001, 04:42 PM
sb1
Charlotte,NC
Joined Jun 2001
235 Posts
Hi John E,
Yes it was a success, the 180 was up and in the air with no effort at all and flew well, maybe a little fast but it would easily fly at half throttle. It was a tad windy for my flying skills but it had enough power and had good response, i will take it to the glow field tomorrow night and have one of the veteran pilots fly it and see what he thinks. Thanks John for your advice, i'm thinking a g/box will slow it down a little if needed but i think most of the trouble is my rusty flying skills. Kou you should have no trouble finding an ARF for these motors, world models cub is one that comes to mind and i am sure there are others.

Thanks,
sb1
Old Jun 10, 2002, 04:55 AM
Quezon City, Philippines
Joined Jun 2002
22 Posts

I'm just planning to buy the Cessna 180 but after reading Steve's review at ezone I was kinda put off. Then I come across this BB and learn that a Magnetic Mayhem will make all the difference. Now I'm excited once again. What prop will best match the MM on the 180 with 7 cells?
Addict sa RC is offline Find More Posts by Addict sa RC
Last edited by Addict sa RC; Jun 10, 2002 at 05:03 AM.
Old Jun 10, 2002, 09:55 AM
Horrible Test Pilot
Lyman WY
Joined May 2002
888 Posts
I'm glad I finally found some people who also fly the 180.
I crashed fairly hard and bent the output shaft in the stock motor, and a MM was what I had for a replacement.
It worked well, but the stock 7X6 prop wasn't working so I moved up to an 8X6 Master Airscrew (This is what the local HS stocks).
The difference was amazing. And running cheap Tower 1500mah packs I was getting 7-10 minute flights with better climb rates and easier loops.
That plane has been retired now as I find $40 a bit high for a new fuse.

Jason
Beachernaut is offline Find More Posts by Beachernaut
Old Jun 10, 2002, 08:25 PM
Quezon City, Philippines
Joined Jun 2002
22 Posts
$40 for what fuse ?.....oh you mean fuselage
Old Jun 10, 2002, 08:36 PM
sb1
Charlotte,NC
Joined Jun 2001
235 Posts
Yes, the 180 flys pretty well on MM direct with an 8x6 prop. I use the cheap 6 cell tower packs also. I agree on the price of replacement parts, you are probably better off buying another complete 180 for 79.99. Right now I think they are 89.99 but usually the price drops in the fall. On the other hand it is only foam and it is easily repairable.

Don
Old Jun 11, 2002, 02:04 AM
Quezon City, Philippines
Joined Jun 2002
22 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sb1
Yes, the 180 flys pretty well on MM direct with an 8x6 prop.

Don
Don, How'd it do with an 8x4?