HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 12, 2010, 09:48 PM
Joined Jan 2007
192 Posts
John and Dano, thanks very much for your pictures. I've been collecting info on the various models that NP put out over the years. These pictures really help. I never saw most of these when I was a kid. All I ever came across were the Stunt Flyer, Skeeter, Sleek Streek and Star Flyer.

Again, thanks.
Bargle is offline Find More Posts by Bargle
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 22, 2010, 09:42 AM
Lincoln, UK
Joined Jun 2005
616 Posts
I think every aeromodeller above a certain age has a soft spot for and fond memories of the NP Sleek Streek. I recall flying them in the narrow street outside my mother's terraced house here in Lincoln, England. They could be trimmed to fly in tight circles and the stock motor run served to get them to about gutter level before they floated back down to earth. I remember being ten years old, flying Sleek Streeks with my friends and each flight was a 'mission', if the model managed to land safely back in the street without hitting a wall or getting snagged on a telephone cable, the "mission" was a success, five "missions" and you were an ace, first one to become an ace won!

As I said, the streets were narrow and only with a lot of care in trimming and a fair dose of luck did anyone become an ace, it sometimes took a fair time and a few rubber bands.

I learned a lot about trimming and aerodynamics from these little models, such a shame that they're lost to children today. I consider myself lucky to have been born into a world of Sleek Streeks and not Xboxes.
Pete1978 is offline Find More Posts by Pete1978
Old Jun 24, 2010, 11:01 PM
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Joined Jul 2008
53 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete1978 View Post
I learned a lot about trimming and aerodynamics from these little models, such a shame that they're lost to children today. I consider myself lucky to have been born into a world of Sleek Streeks and not Xboxes.
Thanks Pete. I couldn't have said it better.
-dano
dano47 is offline Find More Posts by dano47
Old Jun 25, 2010, 12:35 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2004
967 Posts
This is very true, but there are some exceptions. The kids across the street from me are always outside doing something. A couple of weeks ago one of them was in the front yard tossing a glider of some sort around. Probably a Guillows. He was having a blast throwing it, and running to pick it up and throw it again. I was wondering where he got it. I haven't seen any around in a while.
TRuss is offline Find More Posts by TRuss
Old Sep 10, 2010, 09:31 PM
USA, NJ, Denville
Joined Sep 2010
17 Posts
Hi guys! Sorry in advance for the LONGGGG post!!

I just signed on to the site tonight as I've been REALLY nostalgic lately & was incredulous when I found out Guillows discontinued the old NP/Comet line even though it was vastly superior to their own stuff. I've been looking to get at least one of each of my favorite NP planes- The Star Flyer, Skeeter, Stunt Flyer & whatever the smaller rounded wing glider was called.

I used to take a Star Flyer, a Skeeter (I think) & one of the two gliders & make a kit bash where I used all 6 wings. I'd invert two of the clips to add the Skeeter wings to the Star Flyer wings & add the glider wings to the ends of them with two more clips in the normal orientation. Then I'd run a thread from the outside wing clip under the Skeeter wing to the fuselage to keep everything from just folding up in flight. That thing had a serious glide rate!!

Anyway, I have a line on two NOS Sleek Streeks. I'm just waiting to find out if the guy has them. I'd be willing to purchase any extras of the models listed if someone here is willing to part with them. I just want ones that are still in very good useable condition, nothing has to be MISB. I'm not some jerk looking to make a steal that I'm gonna foist off on ebay. I'm just trying to sustain fleeting memories of a simpler time.

Thanks in advance,

Tommy
LS6 Tommy is offline Find More Posts by LS6 Tommy
Last edited by LS6 Tommy; Sep 10, 2010 at 09:46 PM.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 10:15 PM
United States, CA, Santa Rosa
Joined Jun 2001
1,086 Posts
Tommy,
Sounds like you had lots of fun experimenting with these neat little balsa models.

I can probably help you out with one or two of the gliders, and maybe a Skeeter too. Let me see what I can dig up, I will let you know.

Also, welcome to the group!!

John
John Cole is offline Find More Posts by John Cole
Old Sep 11, 2010, 09:51 AM
USA, NJ, Denville
Joined Sep 2010
17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Cole View Post
Tommy,
Sounds like you had lots of fun experimenting with these neat little balsa models.

I can probably help you out with one or two of the gliders, and maybe a Skeeter too. Let me see what I can dig up, I will let you know.

Also, welcome to the group!!

John
Thanks, John!

Tommy
Old Sep 11, 2010, 06:40 PM
Joined Jun 2001
1,086 Posts
Tommy, I've sent you a PM.

John
Old Sep 12, 2010, 10:29 AM
USA, NJ, Denville
Joined Sep 2010
17 Posts
John, I answered your PM.

Tommy
Old Sep 21, 2010, 08:41 PM
USA, NJ, Denville
Joined Sep 2010
17 Posts
I just wanted to post a quick note saying what a generous thing John Cole did by sending me some of the gliders I've been looking for to help jump start my North Pacific collection. It was truly heartwarming for me to go back a good 35 years in my life as I inspected the beauties he sent me!

Thank you, John!!
Old Sep 24, 2010, 01:30 PM
Aurora Municipal, Illinois, United States
Joined Jul 2002
1,613 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightthings View Post
Digging up an older thread for something relative.

It is a shame we can't get the Sleek Streek anymore like we once could.
I found this article that shows how to "Soup up " your Sleek Streek. Could be frun to those of us who played with a few of these (then} inexpensive jewels.

http://books.google.com/books?id=f98...age&q=&f=false

I don't even have a nice picture of one anymore...
LT
Oh my god, this is the best thread I've read in ages. I lost so many of these things to the roof of the tavern across the street. The owner got tired of us bugging him to go up and get the planes he started chasing us out. I toted many pop bottles back to the store to raise the funds to replace these things. I hung out with an Italian kid across the street and we used to fly together. His parents would make their weekly trip to the cemetery. Could you image a couple of kids excited to go to a cemetery? It was the only thing we had close that even resembled the big park that we could get a parent to take us to. If we got to fly in the park oh... what an excursion. Our parents would be dragging us out by our feet.

Another biggie for us was the Dawn Patrol biplane gliders. Guillows IIRC. My dad had this set of red popular mechanics encyclopedias, 24 or 25 books that had all kinds of nifty hobby projects. I found this one to soup up your planes. The ones that really hooked were Roy Cloughs articles with all his fantastical machines that ran on water, land or in the air. I've managed to collect as many of the articles as possible. Roy was probably my biggest influence.

Great stuff.
bullseye000 is online now Find More Posts by bullseye000
Last edited by bullseye000; Sep 24, 2010 at 02:38 PM.
Old Sep 25, 2010, 02:01 AM
Joined Jun 2001
1,086 Posts
Bullseye, I didn't get to read any of those articles, but they sound neat.

To me, Guillow's always missed the mark with their models, but God knows they have sold millions..

The biplane gliders were actually pretty good flyers, and I liked them. They must have had some influence on my lifelong desire to study and model WW1 r/c airplanes.

Here's one from my collection, and it is one of the earliest versions.

John
Old Sep 26, 2010, 11:55 PM
USA, NJ, Denville
Joined Sep 2010
17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Cole View Post
Bullseye, I didn't get to read any of those articles, but they sound neat.

To me, Guillow's always missed the mark with their models, but God knows they have sold millions..

The biplane gliders were actually pretty good flyers, and I liked them. They must have had some influence on my lifelong desire to study and model WW1 r/c airplanes.

Here's one from my collection, and it is one of the earliest versions.

John
I have two Bipes in my collection. IMO they were the best of the Guillow's RTF gliders. Heck, they were the only Guillow's I'd buy when I was younger. They're much more recent than the one pictured. I think I might have even gotten them as recently as two or three years ago. I see they only market the german plane now. How can you have a dog fight without an "enemy" to shoot down? The pilot/gun is balsa & the scallop detail on the trailing edge of the wings is just printed on the top wing, not cut out of the balsa. Also, the bottom wings are smaller than the top ones. I'll have to try to remember to post pics asap.

Tommy
Last edited by LS6 Tommy; Sep 27, 2010 at 12:03 AM.
Old Sep 27, 2010, 12:20 AM
Joined Jun 2001
1,086 Posts
Hi Tommy,
I think I've seen the new bipes made by Guillows in the stores, but have not seen one assembled. Looking forward to your pictures.

While it is true that most of the offerings from Guillows were not prone to beginning flight, they did produce a pretty decent line of models called the "Junior Contest" series. The Lancer, Javlin, Piper Super Cub, Arrow, and Cessna 180 are all very good flying models when built with care. The 'Build by Number' method worked pretty well for beginners as I recall.

I built the Javlin when I was maybe 9, used the kit tissue, doped it on with full strength Aero Gloss... But the sucker flew!!

John
Old Nov 08, 2010, 06:34 PM
Joined Nov 2010
1 Posts
I have original norhtern pacific sleek streek mip

HI GYROS, I have a vintage circa 1970 Northern pacific Sleek Streek mint in sealed package with a 25 cents price on it. i fly them regularly and they fly just like they did 40 years ago right out of the package, the motor breaks after a couple of flights because the rubber band is so old, but i have replacement motors and would include 1 for you. I only can spare 1. contact me if interested at izzzy1@yahoo.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyros View Post
I have been looking for the old North Pacific rubber band powered Sleek Streek for sooo long now. Can anyone tell me if I can still find one or if I should just give up. I heard they were still made as late as 2000 but still haven't been able to find one. North Pacific also made the rubber powered Skeeter and the Star Flyer and a Myriad of non-powered balsa gliders. I'm 40, and loved them so much as a kid. I must have bought 700 of the things over the years.

Any help would be so very much appreciated.

Gyros
izzy437 is offline Find More Posts by izzy437