HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 11, 2010, 11:44 AM
Joined Jan 2007
192 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megowcoupe View Post
It really aggravates me that these crummy companies can't believe that a kid can tell the difference between a 5-10 second hop/crash and a 20-30 second flight. The kids can- and they get hooked when the airplane actually flies.

Sam
Dead on. I don't know what the time was, but I got a straight line flight of 75-85 feet out of a Stunt Flyer when I was about 9. A long, smooth glide. First time I had ever got a plane to go that far. That one flight hooked me. I've rarely been without at least one balsa flying model since.
These days, I've got a bunch.
Bargle is offline Find More Posts by Bargle
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 09, 2010, 10:39 AM
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Joined Jul 2008
53 Posts
Sleek Streek Comparison - North Pacific vs Comet

Over the years, the Sleek Streek has been produced by North Pacific Products, Comet Models, and most recently, Paul K. Guillow Inc. Since time often obscures objectivity, and it has been a few years since many of us have flown or even held a Sleek Streek in our hands, I thought I would perform an objective, un-scientific and non-definitive comparison of the different models. Since I have both the North Pacific and the Comet versions of the Sleek Streek, all I had to do was acquire a Guillow’s product. My efforts to obtain one went un-rewarded, so I have shortened my comparison to the North Pacific and Comet versions.

My objective was to measure and weigh the components, compare those values along with the quality of craftsmanship and the materials of the two models. After the physical assessment, assemble and fly both planes to compare their flight performance.

The initial inspection of the packaging revealed a fact previously unknown to me. Although the North Pacific Sleek Streek was produced in Bend, Oregon, the Comet version was made in Korea. (Okay….be objective…be objective…owww!!) When I opened the two packages, I realized that there wasn’t a comparison to be made. The photos tell much of the story, so I won’t elaborate on the quality, weights and measurements other than to say that although the Comet was slightly smaller than the NP, it was also heavier. Although the NP had an airfoil formed into the wing, the Comet wing was warped in a way that I believe would have prevented flight without some reworking, so no attempt was made to compare flight performance.

-Dano
dano47 is offline Find More Posts by dano47
Old Jun 11, 2010, 01:31 AM
United States, CA, Santa Rosa
Joined Jun 2001
1,075 Posts
Dano, nice comparison work. I too wondered how much different the two Sleek Streek versions were.

Other great NP designs were the built-up series, DUST'r, ROG'r, BIPE, etc. ALL very good flyers. I'll post pictures if you would like.

John
John Cole is offline Find More Posts by John Cole
Old Jun 11, 2010, 02:37 PM
Balsa Flies Better!
Stamford, CT
Joined Oct 2000
6,758 Posts
Hi John

Man, I never knew NP had anything beyond the simple stuff in a sleeve. I'd be very interested to see what you're talking about.

Thanks,

Sam
Megowcoupe is online now Find More Posts by Megowcoupe
Old Jun 11, 2010, 04:24 PM
Joined Jun 2001
1,075 Posts
Sam, you've got it! I'll collect some things together and take a few pictures, if I can just find my camera...

The old RTF and ARF models are pretty neat, and some, like the NP and Jim Walker designs, flew great. Always intrigued me these two companies were fairly close to one another.

John
Old Jun 11, 2010, 04:41 PM
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Joined Jul 2008
53 Posts
Other great NP designs were the built-up series, DUST'r, ROG'r, BIPE, etc. ALL very good flyers. I'll post pictures if you would like.

John

Thanks John. I, and I am sure others, would enjoy seeing photos of any other North Pacific airplanes. I am familiar with those planes, but I had already moved on to other flying things by the time NP offered them. I would really like to see a picture of the Sport-Flyer if you have one.
-dano
Old Jun 11, 2010, 09:54 PM
slow climbing turn to the left
USA, CT, North Branford
Joined Sep 2009
108 Posts
Sigh...

Dano,
My entire childhood on one page! I used to pour over AHC's ad pages in model magazines every month.
When I saw this page I let out a loud sigh. My wife asked me what I was looking at!
Wish I had a Sleek Streek for every Sleek Streek I've ever bought.
Thanks for posting.
Cheers,
'drover
dhdrover is offline Find More Posts by dhdrover
Old Jun 11, 2010, 11:25 PM
Balsa Flies Better!
Stamford, CT
Joined Oct 2000
6,758 Posts
Wow- dano, thanks for posting. That took me back a few years. I'd forgotten that NP had another kit line, never built any of them. Probably my loss....

Thanks,

Sam
Megowcoupe is online now Find More Posts by Megowcoupe
Old Jun 12, 2010, 12:48 AM
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Joined Jul 2008
53 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdrover View Post
Dano,
My entire childhood on one page! I used to pour over AHC's ad pages in model magazines every month.
When I saw this page I let out a loud sigh. My wife asked me what I was looking at!
Wish I had a Sleek Streek for every Sleek Streek I've ever bought.
Thanks for posting.
Cheers,
'drover
A book of dreams indeed. Now a book of memories.
I'm glad you liked it as well Sam. Posting was my pleasure.-dano
Old Jun 12, 2010, 01:19 AM
Joined Jun 2001
1,075 Posts
Dano, that's a nice ad. The built-up models really did fly well, and I'm surprised they didn't catch on better.

Ok, I've located my camera, will post some pictures tomorrow.

John
Old Jun 12, 2010, 10:08 AM
Joined Jun 2001
1,075 Posts
Ok, first up are a few of the kit models. The wood in these kits is of very good quality and weight.

John
Old Jun 12, 2010, 10:12 AM
Joined Jun 2001
1,075 Posts
Here's the Sport Flyer. I think it was their best design, but it didn't seem to be very popular. It's a large model for a RTF.

John
Old Jun 12, 2010, 10:17 AM
Joined Jun 2001
1,075 Posts
Here are a few other sleeved models. The Jet Flyer performs well. The Star Flyer is a VERY good performer, easy to lose in any lift... I know.

John
Old Jun 12, 2010, 11:00 AM
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Joined Jul 2008
53 Posts
WOW! Thanks for the pics John. You have a pretty sweet collection of NPs. I'm afraid I have been infected and the cure is rare. I always thought I wanted a Sport-Flyer, but now that I have seen one, it has popped to the top of my want list.-dano
Old Jun 12, 2010, 11:56 AM
Joined Jun 2001
1,075 Posts
Dano, the Sport Flyer is a neat model. I hope you can find one soon, and if you ever need a stabilizer, I have an extra. Two were mistakenly placed in my kit!

John