SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 22, 2010, 01:04 PM
High Exalted Poohbah
Atlanta, GA USA
Joined Sep 2001
1,863 Posts
Attached is a plan to duplicate the Sleek Streek. Unfortunately you will have to work out a replacement for the molded plastic nose piece and prop.

Planeman
planeman is offline Find More Posts by planeman
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 26, 2010, 03:13 PM
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Joined Jul 2008
53 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megowcoupe View Post
If you just need the wing clip- I think that Guillows has taken over the old North Pacific stuff- and done an absolutely awful job with them. However, I think there is a glider called a "Stuntflyer" available that uses those wing clips.

Sam
North Pacific Products did manufacture the StuntFlyer until they closed their doors in the early '80s. Comet bought the manufacturing rights to the NP line, and produced it until they were bought by Guillows in 1998. Guillows continued the line until a couple of years ago. At that time, I inquired about the line and was told that it was discontinued and that they had no plans to re-continue it. I was also told that there was no "old stock" or parts available.
If anyone does discover a source for the plastic wing extrusions, please share that info with us.-Dano
dano47 is offline Find More Posts by dano47
Old Apr 26, 2010, 04:18 PM
Balsa Flies Better!
Stamford, CT
Joined Oct 2000
6,717 Posts
Hi Dano

Check with Penn Valley Hobby Center- when I was last there, they had a bunch of that stuff still on their shelves. I was underwhelmed with the Comet versions of the NP stuff- it wasn't even close.

Sam
Megowcoupe is offline Find More Posts by Megowcoupe
Old Apr 26, 2010, 11:17 PM
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Joined Jul 2008
53 Posts
Quote:
Hi Dano

Check with Penn Valley Hobby Center- when I was last there, they had a bunch of that stuff still on their shelves. I was underwhelmed with the Comet versions of the NP stuff- it wasn't even close.

Sam
Thanks Sam. I agree, foam flying surfaces cannot compete with the ultra thin balsa of the early NPs, but even NP had started to use foam before going out of business. Comet and Guillows just continued the practice with the NP line.-Dano
Old Apr 26, 2010, 11:38 PM
Balsa Flies Better!
Stamford, CT
Joined Oct 2000
6,717 Posts
Dano

Nope-NP knew how to make a flying airplane. They're foam surfaced airplanes also worked well- I've still got a few of the old Stunt Flyers with the spruce fuselages and foam wings- they fly very, very well- especially with a catapult launch. As far as I can tell, Comet threw whatever junky wood they had in a box (or in this case, a sleeve)- generally way too heavy, and the NP stuff would have a nice airfoiled curve to it that I think was steamed in. The Comet and Guillows stuff never had that- and the Guillows stuff sold under their own brand isn't a patch on the NP stuff. I've figured out how to make some of the Guillows stuff fly (hack some wood off the back, glue the surfaces in, cut some ribs and cyano them to the wing- and make sure that it's not warped! So I've got happy kids. Obviously the rubber goes into either the trash or the wing attach container.

It really aggravates me that these crummy companies can't believe that a kid can tell the difference between a 5-10 second hop/crash and a 20-30 second flight. The kids can- and they get hooked when the airplane actually flies. Guillows can claim that most of their airplanes are built for static- but these sleeve things? They're supposed to fly- and since they don't do that well, I suspect that Guillows management is just lazy.

Also- one of the last Comet/Guillows things I put together (well, the sleeve says Comet?) even the plastic piece fell apart when I tried to slide the wings in. Seems like they can't do anything right.

Revell is also making some airplanes in a sleeve. I had one of their larger ones- kind of a scaled up Guillows design, but this one had nicer wood.

Sam
Old Apr 27, 2010, 08:13 AM
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Joined Jul 2008
53 Posts
Sam,

I defer to your knowledge and experience. I possess few examples of the foam surfaced iteration of the NP/Comet/Guillows line, so my experience in that area is limited. I, and I am sure others, appreciate your insight.-Dano
Old Apr 27, 2010, 09:13 PM
Joined Apr 2010
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightthings View Post
There is one on the bay now. Item number: 280493841528
LT
Snagged it. Appears to be one of the originals, but I'll find out for sure when it arrives.

Question: if this thing went back into production with the original design (i.e., one that actually flies rather than acts as a prop driven projectile), what price do you (meaning whoever reads this) think it could sell for?
SouthFlight is offline Find More Posts by SouthFlight
Old Apr 27, 2010, 09:24 PM
Balsa Flies Better!
Stamford, CT
Joined Oct 2000
6,717 Posts
I think you'd have to be close to the price of a Guillows airplane. If people don't know anything about airplanes- price is king. If you're fighting close, a good recommendation may make the difference. I suspect that fighting close is within a buck- figuring that you could probably get $2-$3 per airplane. Don't think there's a lot of money to be made unless you can come up with sales channels.

Sam
Old Apr 29, 2010, 04:02 PM
SSP#14 aspirant
Fort Lewis, Washington, United States
Joined Feb 2002
1,289 Posts
Super Strato glider

I had a wing extrusion from the star flyer in batch of FF stuff I got on ebay. so I figured I would go ahead and play around and build a Super Strato glider and it came out pretty good floats right along. I just need to color it now and I don't remember the exact scheme for the glider.

Soar Dude
Soar_dude is offline Find More Posts by Soar_dude
Old Apr 30, 2010, 08:05 PM
Joined Jan 2007
192 Posts
It looks like this.
Bargle is offline Find More Posts by Bargle
Old May 09, 2010, 08:29 AM
Joined May 2010
3 Posts
Ive got one of those put together already. It has about an 8 in. wingspan. Used to be called the nickel glider.
castle is offline Find More Posts by castle
Old May 09, 2010, 11:29 AM
Cincinnati, OH
Joined Mar 2003
310 Posts
Quote:
It really aggravates me that these crummy companies can't believe that a kid can tell the difference between a 5-10 second hop/crash and a 20-30 second flight.
Where I grew up in the suburbs of L.A., a "5-second flight" was more than enough to get a Sleek-Streek or Hi-Flyer up onto a roof or into a tree. A 10-second flight got it up onto a neighbors roof or higher up in a tree, and a 20-30 second flight was enough to get it completely over the roof and into somebody's back yard who probably wasn't home, but whose dog was.
Ojimy is online now Find More Posts by Ojimy
Last edited by Ojimy; May 09, 2010 at 05:19 PM.
Old May 09, 2010, 04:59 PM
Beaumont tx
Joined Oct 2004
3,738 Posts
...or half way up the only tree in the pasture....

howell
gwinhh is offline Find More Posts by gwinhh
Old May 09, 2010, 07:18 PM
Balsa Flies Better!
Stamford, CT
Joined Oct 2000
6,717 Posts
Where I grew up in the suburbs of L.A., a "5-second flight" was more than enough to get a Sleek-Streek or Hi-Flyer up onto a roof or into a tree. A 10-second flight got it up onto a neighbors roof or higher up in a tree, and a 20-30 second flight was enough to get it completely over the roof and into somebody's back yard who probably wasn't home, but whose dog was.

Yeah- but at least it was flying! Half the time the Guillows stuff just rolls over on its back after launch and whacks in.

and Howell, the trees have been well nourished on my airplanes these last two years....no Sleek Streaks, but I got my Black Bullet back in tatters (sans wing) and my Caprice? Well the only thing I ever saw was the hatch cover, and I let the kid who found that keep it.

Cheers,

Sam
Old May 10, 2010, 10:11 PM
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Joined Jul 2008
53 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwinhh View Post
...or half way up the only tree in the pasture....

howell
That's my story. That lone balsa magnet had a zesty appetite for Hornets and Pursuits, as well as Skeeters and Sleek Streeks.-dano