HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 08, 2008, 11:52 PM
Joined Feb 2007
103 Posts
Discussion
Sleek Streek

I have been looking for the old North Pacific rubber band powered Sleek Streek for sooo long now. Can anyone tell me if I can still find one or if I should just give up. I heard they were still made as late as 2000 but still haven't been able to find one. North Pacific also made the rubber powered Skeeter and the Star Flyer and a Myriad of non-powered balsa gliders. I'm 40, and loved them so much as a kid. I must have bought 700 of the things over the years.

Any help would be so very much appreciated.

Gyros
gyros is offline Find More Posts by gyros
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 09, 2008, 09:57 AM
High Exalted Poohbah
Atlanta, GA USA
Joined Sep 2001
1,863 Posts
I can offer a nice plan complete with graphics to MAKE one if you are interested. Just e-mail me at rcarswellsr@att.net and be sure to mention Sleek Streek. I will e-mail the digitized plan in .PDF format back to you.

Planeman
planeman is offline Find More Posts by planeman
Last edited by planeman; Feb 13, 2009 at 12:19 AM.
Old Jul 09, 2008, 06:46 PM
Holden , Massachusettes
Joined Feb 2004
2,596 Posts
Is this what you're talking about?

erich
erich is online now Find More Posts by erich
Old Jul 10, 2008, 10:24 PM
Balsa Flies Better!
Stamford, CT
Joined Oct 2000
6,704 Posts
I've got a bit of a stash of them....

Sam
Megowcoupe is offline Find More Posts by Megowcoupe
Old Jul 11, 2008, 09:47 PM
Gravity is just a theory.
Nuevo Mexico
Joined Jul 2004
188 Posts
Wow, that's a blast from a joyful past. I also flew all of those planes: The stunt flyer glider, the Skeeter, the Sleek Streek, and the Star Flyer. I still have one of the last Sleek Streek iterations produced, and a foam version of the Star Flyer. It seems they were still available in the late 80s and early 90s. Wonder if anyone can inform us on when North Pacific went belly up or was bought out. Those were fantastic flyers...
Capt Crash is offline Find More Posts by Capt Crash
Old Jul 19, 2008, 09:57 AM
down & out
Joined Dec 2006
196 Posts
I have 2 Stunt Flyer gliders and 3 Skeeter rubber powered planes that I would like to sell or trade as I have had them forever and will not be going to fly them anytime soon. All are new in package still.
camperfan is offline Find More Posts by camperfan
Old Aug 03, 2008, 06:42 PM
If it flies, I crash it!
USA, NH, Londonderry
Joined Nov 2006
912 Posts
North Pacific Flyers

I would love to find some of those NPF's
The Star Flyer was my favorite.
I would tow a glider behind it. COOL!
dlazarus6660 is offline Find More Posts by dlazarus6660
Old Aug 27, 2008, 04:34 AM
Peoria, AZ
Joined Jun 2001
1,059 Posts
Gyros,

I have an extra Sleek Streak if you are still looking. Let me know.

John
John Cole is offline Find More Posts by John Cole
Old Aug 28, 2008, 11:56 AM
SW Washington State
Joined Aug 2008
1 Posts
Sleek Streak

What memories! Willy Voosen and I would fly both the SS and the Skeeter. The Skeeter was 15 cents while the SS was a whopping quarter dollar. We would sand down a Skeeter's flying surfaces until they were translucent for duration flights. We got 3-minutes out of one once. Then experiments with "stretch" fuselages for more "fuel capacity" and other tinkerings with them that kept us out of reform school (most of the time). Once we rigged a Jetex-50 to a Sleek Streak. It flew the wings off of it - LITERALLY! Went like a Bat out of H . The point was that we were experimenting and honing our minds for future careers and fun projects. Video games? Bah!!!
Professor_Coyl(e)
professor_coyl is offline Find More Posts by professor_coyl
Old Aug 28, 2008, 01:52 PM
carbondale il
Joined Jan 2007
2,557 Posts
I agree with you coyl, I don't bear witness to all those video games past Pong, I think it's called. Anyway it was a simple game of "ping-pong" you could play on the TV. I don't think the games of today help anyone learn anything good.

Kevin
kevin matthews is offline Find More Posts by kevin matthews
Old Sep 30, 2008, 06:30 AM
Joined Sep 2008
1 Posts
Joely

Amazing 60s memories of using sleek streaks, our fave over here in Sussex, UK...and I thought we were the only weirds to attach the long mourned Jetex engines to anything with wings!
Joely is offline Find More Posts by Joely
Old Sep 30, 2008, 08:08 AM
The windy west coast of Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
2,842 Posts
memories...aah yes....making my early model flying attempts around '56-'57, I recall our Swedish equivalent to Sleek-Streek, called Lill-Klas. On the wings, a "pitt's-style" sunbeam pattern was printed in red. A very good flyer this was - and when "worned out", the large prop could be re-used in other models....
I also recall Testors "Little Dipper" as a lively performer, although slightly more expensive. But (am I right here..?) it could be quickly assembled without using glue. Red plastic wheels..
Gluehand is online now Find More Posts by Gluehand
Old Sep 30, 2008, 09:39 AM
Balsa Flies Better!
Stamford, CT
Joined Oct 2000
6,704 Posts
OK- was I the only one who did the bash of a twin sleek streek? Take one wing- cut off the tip or start with a new piece of wood if I had one handy. Leave both stabs and vertical fins on, landing gear intact although the 4 wheels looked goofy and wind up both props. Didn't fly anywhere near as well as the normal version- but hey- the things we do as a kid. And I remember when Sleek Streeks were 19 cents- it was annoying when they went up to 29.

Sam
Megowcoupe is offline Find More Posts by Megowcoupe
Old Sep 30, 2008, 07:31 PM
In my Blu heaven! near Lincoln NE
Joined Mar 2003
2,000 Posts
Me too folks. My first and only OOS experiance was the tiny five cent glider Stratos by North Pacific.

Here is an interesting page showing the Sleek Streek:
http://www.oldwoodtoys.com/new_page_2.htm

I remember AAM having a plan for a rubber job using the prop assembly from a Sleek Streek.
For nore fun today you can go do the Small Flying Arts page and read some more plus they have a free plan to download so that you can make your own very close to the original from scratch:
http://smallflyingarts.com/Current_C...k_streek_1.htm

The page also includes build instructions and some goodpics to help with the build.

Robert
willin is offline Find More Posts by willin
Old Sep 30, 2008, 08:00 PM
In my Blu heaven! near Lincoln NE
Joined Mar 2003
2,000 Posts
A little more info:

The Sleek Streek looks much like Jim Walker's famous Hornet by American Junior Classics:
http://www.americanjuniorclassics.co...ore/hornet.htm

Make sure you click on the link on that page "Read more about the Electric Hornet" to see the R/C version!

Oh yeah, the AAM was called the SUPER SLEEK STREEK / FF RUB SPORT PG 51 72-6 JUNE 1971 AAM

Robert
willin is offline Find More Posts by willin