HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by JimDrew, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 01, 2009, 10:58 AM
Joined Feb 2008
12 Posts
Hi together,

How can I upgrade the RX firmware to v3.5?
I run updater15.exe, but they told me that I alredy have the latest version.
When I check the version with XDP, then I get the firmware v3.4
The TX firmware is v3.5.

Thanks!
flyer2000 is offline Find More Posts by flyer2000
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 01, 2009, 11:12 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyer2000 View Post
Hi together,

How can I upgrade the RX firmware to v3.5?
I run updater15.exe, but they told me that I alredy have the latest version.
When I check the version with XDP, then I get the firmware v3.4
The TX firmware is v3.5.

Thanks!
HOLD the SHIFT key while clicking on the "FIND DEVICE" button.
JimDrew is online now Find More Posts by JimDrew
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 01, 2009, 11:46 AM
Joined Feb 2008
12 Posts
Hi Jim,

Yes, I can flash now. But the Firmware Updater v1.5 told me:
Receiver v3.4 - Upgradin to: v3.4!

It seems, that the RX Firmware v3.5 is not includet in Updater v1.5. :-(
flyer2000 is offline Find More Posts by flyer2000
Old Nov 02, 2009, 10:04 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,833 Posts
Correct, as stated in the comments, v3.5 was skipped. v3.6 is available as the next upgrade.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 09, 2009, 10:56 AM
Nicosia
Joined Jul 2007
22 Posts
updater 1.6 is still on beta stage with a warning that it can be used at own risk. Will it ever be released as a stable release?
SCOTT001 is offline Find More Posts by SCOTT001
Old Nov 09, 2009, 05:28 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,833 Posts
Yes, v3.6 it is clear to use.

We will be releasing a new version with v3.6 firmware for the transmitter that we highly recommend everyone update to if you have the capability. This new firmware eliminates the possibility of a PPM pulse skipping, or varying outside of the accepted range, from causing an immediate failsafe condition. Instead, the entire frame is simply ignored and the last valid frame transmitted. In practice this gives you better control when your transmitter battery is dead to the point of not outputting proper PPM data, or when you have module port pins that are loose (bad solder joints). Properly functioning radios are not affected by the update, but you just never know sometimes when pins fail, especially if you are switching back and forth between 72MHz and 2.4GHz by swapping the Tx module, which is how we discovered this issue.

This new update also initializes the external LCD screen - in preparation for an on-transmitter telemetry display.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 10, 2009, 11:47 AM
Build more, websurf less
Long Valley, NJ, USA
Joined Dec 2001
1,701 Posts
Jim,

I have an 8ch Rx as seen in the photo. I assume that the indication: "Flashable CPU: No" means that I do not have the capability to upgrade this unit to software beyond v3.2.

Is the only way to have the later software capabilities to purchase a current unit?

Please advise. Thanks,

Paul
FlyingW is offline Find More Posts by FlyingW
Last edited by FlyingW; Oct 19, 2012 at 10:56 AM.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 10:40 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,833 Posts
Correct, that receivers is not in-field flasable. You can purchase an upgrade to the latest version for as many pieces as you have for the same price.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 10, 2009, 11:06 PM
Lower, Lower
Penticton,BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2004
1,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew View Post
You can purchase an upgrade to the latest version for as many pieces as you have for the same price.
Jim;

Am I missing something here? Are you telling us to purchase new RX's or send in our existing one's to be upgraded? If you are telling us to send in our existing RX's that are not in-field flashable, will we have to send in the equipment every time there is a firmware update? I have been holding off sending all my XPS equipment (a lot!!) in for upgrade until now. Just want to know if this is a one time thing or and on going upgrade?

Thanks;
Rod
bc-slowflyer is online now Find More Posts by bc-slowflyer
Old Nov 11, 2009, 12:58 AM
most exalted one
BC Canada
Joined Aug 2002
3,533 Posts
Ongoing! It has been stated many times that the upgrade does not make them in-field upgradeable. I thought they would be also but we found out otherwise a long time ago.
4*60 is offline Find More Posts by 4*60
Old Nov 11, 2009, 03:32 AM
Nicosia
Joined Jul 2007
22 Posts
I would suggest to XPS to give an option to their customers to upgrade those non programmable devices to field programmable for a reasonable fee.
SCOTT001 is offline Find More Posts by SCOTT001
Old Nov 11, 2009, 08:25 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,833 Posts
We can't offer this. We are never guaranteed with our current product line to have in-field flashable units. This is why we do not advertise this being a feature for our products (with the exception of the new 3 channel surface receivers which use a different CPU).
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 11, 2009, 12:22 PM
Joined Apr 2009
41 Posts
Could I send in my universal TX module for this same type of upgrade?
JHeuler is online now Find More Posts by JHeuler
Old Nov 11, 2009, 03:54 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,833 Posts
Anyone can purchase the v3.x upgrade and send in all of their equipment for the latest version of firmware. If you already have v3.0 or later, the benefits of each new version probably don't warrant sending in your system. Having said that, we will be offering an upgrade to allow plugging in a display into the transmitter module to get telemetry information directly on the transmitter.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 12, 2009, 12:41 AM
Norway
Joined Sep 2008
231 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew View Post
Anyone can purchase the v3.x upgrade and send in all of their equipment for the latest version of firmware. If you already have v3.0 or later, the benefits of each new version probably don't warrant sending in your system. Having said that, we will be offering an upgrade to allow plugging in a display into the transmitter module to get telemetry information directly on the transmitter.

Will it be necessary to send in the transmitter module to get the external display to work, or could we fix this ourselves (pin connector/leads for soldering)?
I think you earlier mentioned that the transmitter module was ready for telemetry.

JE
Doffen24 is offline Find More Posts by Doffen24