HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by JimDrew, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 30, 2009, 01:56 AM
Son, Norway
Joined Sep 2004
3,267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jh2rc97
Fred,
The CC-BEC is a switching BEC.
Alan
Alan,
I know now, but Jim sure made it sound like a linear one. Actually I thought he was typing CC-BEC, meaning CC-ESC/BEC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew
Check Castle's website. There is a fine print warning about using more than 12v with their 10A BEC.
Maybe you could supply a link? The only warning I could find was this one:
"Please refrain from tasting the yummy goodness of the CC BEC. Castle Creations is not responsible for any cases of upset stomach, indigestion, or other GI malfunctions as a result of CC BEC consumption. Eating a CC BEC is known to cause cancer in the state of California."
(http://www.castlecreations.com/suppo...faq-ccbec.html)

I think most voltage drop issues with BEC's are related to thin wiring and the connectors. Moving up in output voltage helps since it allows more voltage drop before the Rx reboots.

Fred
flarssen is offline Find More Posts by flarssen
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2009, 08:20 AM
Dallas, TX
Joined Jan 2005
2,159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew
Look around on the forums. This issue has been discussed for months. We did testing ourselves and the higher the input voltage, the lower amperage output UNLESS you program the output voltage to be higher than the default 5.1v. The BEC is completely unusable with our system on a 4S Lipo in the Hobby Lobby F-5 jet (5 micro servos) when using 5.1v output. Setting the output to 5.7v or higher allows enough current to drive the servos. We tried 4 different Castle BECs, all with the same results.

There is a memo about this on Castle's website, where they specifically state a reduced output current when using more than 12v of input voltage.
Sounds like the inductor needs to be alittle larger. I am assuming that it is a standard buck type converter.
jh2rc97 is offline Find More Posts by jh2rc97
Old Mar 06, 2009, 07:23 PM
Joined Mar 2009
1 Posts
Hello,

I bought an xtreme 8ch RX receiver and module system for JR radios

Product ID: XPS-CPJ1-8
Product Name: 2.4Ghz JR combo pack w/8 channel receiver

This was in April of last year. Well, I am just getting ready to install it in a gas plane and went looking for the manual on extremeís web site when I see that there is a firmware update. Is this something that needs to be done or does it just add some bells and whistles?

I donít want the plane to fall out of the sky, but I donít want to pay $39 dollar for something that isnít needed.

Thanks for your time
Max
hypnosismax is offline Find More Posts by hypnosismax
Old Mar 07, 2009, 08:11 AM
The Villages, Florida
Joined May 2003
424 Posts
Max,

A quick search of the forum netted this:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...irmware+needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypnosismax
Hello,

I bought an xtreme 8ch RX receiver and module system for JR radios

Product ID: XPS-CPJ1-8
Product Name: 2.4Ghz JR combo pack w/8 channel receiver

This was in April of last year. Well, I am just getting ready to install it in a gas plane and went looking for the manual on extremeís web site when I see that there is a firmware update. Is this something that needs to be done or does it just add some bells and whistles?

I donít want the plane to fall out of the sky, but I donít want to pay $39 dollar for something that isnít needed.

Thanks for your time
Max
JuanRodriguez is online now Find More Posts by JuanRodriguez
Old Apr 11, 2009, 03:38 PM
Aerial Images of Texas
The Texas Gulf Coast where hurricanes come to play
Joined Aug 2003
1,960 Posts
Ok, so smite me if some of y'all feel I haven't done the proper research but here's the deal. I purchased a system for my JR 9303 over a year ago along with a device programmer and for reasons I won't get into I'm just getting around to installing the system in my Extreme Flight 88" Yak. In a nutshell what do I need to take care of both hardware and software wise to bring my system totally up to date and working it's best.
Thanks in advance for the help.
tashley is offline Find More Posts by tashley
Old Apr 11, 2009, 04:47 PM
The Villages, Florida
Joined May 2003
424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tashley
Ok, so smite me if some of y'all feel I haven't done the proper research but here's the deal. I purchased a system for my JR 9303 over a year ago along with a device programmer and for reasons I won't get into I'm just getting around to installing the system in my Extreme Flight 88" Yak. In a nutshell what do I need to take care of both hardware and software wise to bring my system totally up to date and working it's best.
Thanks in advance for the help.
I would say, send your equipment back to XPS for the latest system upgrade and then upgrade your power system to the A123 batteries to ensure adequate power to run everything....

Simple as that !!
JuanRodriguez is online now Find More Posts by JuanRodriguez
Old Apr 12, 2009, 08:40 AM
Australia, QLD, King Scrub
Joined Jun 2005
1,368 Posts
Check the new Beta software updater too see if you can update without returning to XPS. There is a thread here somewhere about the update.

And... as Juan says, make sure you power system is up to the task. It is my belief that most 2.4 issues, regardless of brand, are caused by power problems based around "it worked fine on my xxMhz gear for years why shouldn't it work now".
twang is offline Find More Posts by twang
Old Apr 12, 2009, 10:50 AM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,687 Posts
The thread says you MUST be at V3.x to be able to use the firmware updater because there are some changes made to parts that the updater does not have access to. If you are at version 1.x or 2.x you must still return them for an update!
village_idiot is offline Find More Posts by village_idiot
Old Apr 12, 2009, 05:39 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,721 Posts
I think there is confusion here. We do not offer any updates other than the v3.0 update. The "updater" we just released only works with v3.0 and later - currently. We may be releasing a version for 1.x/2.x as well. In ALL cases, to upgrade to v3.0 you have to purchase the upgrade and send all of your items in to be upgraded by us.
JimDrew is offline Find More Posts by JimDrew
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 14, 2009, 03:22 PM
I'm a feather on the wind
Orange County CA
Joined Apr 2003
711 Posts
Jim,

If I purchase an RF module & some receivers from you today, will they come with the latest firmware already installed? If so, will that always be the case?

Thanks,
Dave
CyberPilot is offline Find More Posts by CyberPilot
Old May 15, 2009, 05:00 AM
Joined May 2009
54 Posts
As I just received all my 2.4GHz equipment - receiver/transmitter and programmer interface - I was wondering where to get the latest firmware for the receiver/transmitter. My receiver actually has IFS v3.3, while the transmitter has IFS V3.2 - and I usually try to keep the software at the same release level if I can.

An link/place I could download it ?
I do have the XPS-XM 2.4GHz Graupner Tray Radio Transmitter Module for the mc19

Thx for any hint.

Disregard this request please. In germany - we have an expression: "Lesen bildet" - in other words - "readings makes you smarter".
I did reread all documentation again and noticed it's already with the updater software. I first thought it was to be done through th XPS software - as it proposes the Firmware Upgrade feature.
Smurphy_ is offline Find More Posts by Smurphy_
Last edited by Smurphy_; May 15, 2009 at 05:35 AM.
Old May 15, 2009, 06:37 AM
Aerial Images of Texas
Joined Aug 2003
1,960 Posts
LOL,that's funny Smurphy, in the good old USA we have a similar one R.T.F.I..
Old May 25, 2009, 02:47 AM
Joined May 2009
54 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tashley
LOL,that's funny Smurphy, in the good old USA we have a similar one R.T.F.I..
Oh - coming from the computer world - I though it was: R.T.F.M while it is left to the readers discretion to interprete the "F" here
Smurphy_ is offline Find More Posts by Smurphy_
Old May 25, 2009, 09:06 PM
Aerial Images of Texas
Joined Aug 2003
1,960 Posts
Roflmfao :d
Old Jun 24, 2009, 02:22 AM
Joined Aug 2007
71 Posts
Someone please guide me..

I'd placed an order for the firmware upgrade. Immediately, I've received an email with subject "Thank you for your order". Inside includes the order details and order id.

My question is, is that the order that I should print out and send to XPS together with my tx modules & rx? Or I should be receiving another email that contains my order?

Thanks & Regards
xeqouz is offline Find More Posts by xeqouz