HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by JimDrew, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 12:04 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,917 Posts
What are you powering this with? It is not possible to disable the warning... it is there for a reason!
JimDrew is offline Find More Posts by JimDrew
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 27, 2009, 06:06 PM
Oslo
Joined Jun 2008
13 Posts
I am powering with Flightpower 2500 6 cells LiPo and a Kontronik Jazz 80 Amp regulator.
westereng is offline Find More Posts by westereng
Old Jan 27, 2009, 09:46 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,917 Posts
Well, that could be the issue. Most regulators do not function properly when more than 12 volts are used as the input voltage (Castle's 10A BEC is a good example of this).

Try just a straight 4 cell pack without the servos plugged into. Start plugging the servos in one at a time and see if you ever get a orange LED. If you do, then either the servo is bad or the 4 cell is not big enough for the load capacity.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 27, 2009, 10:49 PM
Gotta Luv Gasser Helis..
Gold Coast, Qld , Australia
Joined Apr 2006
332 Posts
Found this ..

BEC
All Jazz speed controls up to 18 cells have a switch mode BEC included. The types
for higher voltage have no BEC. The continuos current of the BEC is 1.5A, the short
time current for 10sec. is 2.5V.
In opposite to usual BEC-systems the capacity of the BEC is mostly independent on
the input voltage. This allows the usage up to 18 cells (24V). Additionally the BEC
distinguishes due to a high suppression of interference. A use of this speed controls
without BEC is possible by pulling the red wire of the receiver cable out of the
connector or by ripping this cable.
The use of a 4 cells receiver battery pack is recommended (see safety information).
The pack is connected parallel to the speed control into a free place of the receiver.

Sounds like a waste of effort even trying to use the BEC.....
_Peter is offline Find More Posts by _Peter
Old Jan 28, 2009, 06:22 AM
Dallas, TX
Joined Jan 2005
2,169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew
Well, that could be the issue. Most regulators do not function properly when more than 12 volts are used as the input voltage (Castle's 10A BEC is a good example of this).

Jim,
Please clarify the issue of the CC-BEC over 12 volts? It is rated to 6s and I have been using afew of them with 4s without a problem. If there is something to watch out for I would like to know what it is.

Alan
jh2rc97 is offline Find More Posts by jh2rc97
Old Jan 28, 2009, 07:04 AM
Australia, QLD, King Scrub
Joined Jun 2005
1,376 Posts
Gidday Westereng.

I just did some reading on the Kontronik Jazz 80-6-18 esc. It has a 4A max switching regulator on board. What exactly are you trying to power, no. of servos, type etc. The docs also mention that the BEC is short circuit protected, so it may be shutting down for an instant if the current spikes, thinking it is short circuited. The manual is at:
http://kontronik.com/index.php?optio...gid=30&lang=en

Danny
twang is offline Find More Posts by twang
Old Jan 28, 2009, 09:15 AM
Son, Norway
Joined Sep 2004
3,364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jh2rc97
Jim,
Please clarify the issue of the CC-BEC over 12 volts? It is rated to 6s and I have been using afew of them with 4s without a problem. If there is something to watch out for I would like to know what it is.

Alan
High input voltages is a problem for linear BEC's that lowers the voltage by producing heat. The amount of heat is a product of the difference between input- and output voltage and current, (Vin-Vout)*I. Higher input voltage means that the max current has to be lowered to stay inside the specs.
This is irrelevant for the Kontronik ESC, where the BEC is a switching one.
The use of a 4C low capacity (to save weight), low IR Nixx pack in parallel with the BEC sounds like a good idea.

Fred
flarssen is online now Find More Posts by flarssen
Old Jan 28, 2009, 10:08 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,917 Posts
Check Castle's website. There is a fine print warning about using more than 12v with their 10A BEC.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 28, 2009, 03:53 PM
Son, Norway
Joined Sep 2004
3,364 Posts
Quote:
Check Castle's website. There is a fine print warning about using more than 12v with their 10A BEC.
Are you referring to the note about the reduction in continuous current from 7A to 5A if above 12V? If so, that's hardly what most people would call "not function properly when more than 12 volts are used as the input voltage".

Fred
flarssen is online now Find More Posts by flarssen
Old Jan 28, 2009, 06:35 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,917 Posts
More like from 5A to less than 2A.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 28, 2009, 08:53 PM
Dallas, TX
Joined Jan 2005
2,169 Posts
Fred,
The CC-BEC is a switching BEC.
Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by flarssen
High input voltages is a problem for linear BEC's that lowers the voltage by producing heat. The amount of heat is a product of the difference between input- and output voltage and current, (Vin-Vout)*I. Higher input voltage means that the max current has to be lowered to stay inside the specs.
This is irrelevant for the Kontronik ESC, where the BEC is a switching one.
The use of a 4C low capacity (to save weight), low IR Nixx pack in parallel with the BEC sounds like a good idea.

Fred
Old Jan 28, 2009, 09:04 PM
Dallas, TX
Joined Jan 2005
2,169 Posts
Quote:
More like from 5A to less than 2A.
Jim,
Where do you get less than 2A? Going by their ratings it would be 5A and from testing I did when the CC-BEC first came out it would run at 20Vdc in and 3 amps of load with little to no airflow for over 8 hours at a temp of 165 degrees F. With alittle airflow the temp dropped to 130 degrees and stayed there. I did end up getting some loads to run it up to 10 amps but never got around to testing. I wish I had an electronic load to test them with. Would be good to see how the output handles load transitions. The only thing that bothered me alittle was the output ripple on the CC-BEC. I was measuring about 5% ripple.

Alan
Old Jan 28, 2009, 11:07 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,917 Posts
Look around on the forums. This issue has been discussed for months. We did testing ourselves and the higher the input voltage, the lower amperage output UNLESS you program the output voltage to be higher than the default 5.1v. The BEC is completely unusable with our system on a 4S Lipo in the Hobby Lobby F-5 jet (5 micro servos) when using 5.1v output. Setting the output to 5.7v or higher allows enough current to drive the servos. We tried 4 different Castle BECs, all with the same results.

There is a memo about this on Castle's website, where they specifically state a reduced output current when using more than 12v of input voltage.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 29, 2009, 06:04 AM
Australia, QLD, King Scrub
Joined Jun 2005
1,376 Posts
I run this BEC in a MPX Twister on 4S with 3 x HS 81/ HS65 type servos. No problems at all

Danny
twang is offline Find More Posts by twang
Old Jan 29, 2009, 06:33 PM
nothing new under the sun
Joined Jun 2006
175 Posts
CC BEC from Castle when used with 5S Lipo

Hi Jim

So to makes things clear : OK to use the CC BEC 10A from Castle even if input voltage is more than 12 V ( 5S for me ) BUT I must select output to a minimum of 5.7 v or why not 6.5 Volt ? ( fully charged Nicad of 5 cell = 6.75Volts ) so my Hitec 65 / 82 /85 servo rated for 6 v should accept a little more voltage, If you can confirm please ,
I'm working on a Cessna Citation ( old Marutaka Kit long work on it ) with 2 Hacker motor B40-13l plus 2 HET Fan70 mm , 2x Kontronic ESC 55-6-18 and one 5S Lipo 3200 mah , 5 servo Hitec 65/85/82 and one retrac 75 BB, the RX is IFS XR 20 IFS ( XPS), and JR PCM 9X II radio.
the CC BEC will give power to the XPS, Hope I made a good choice because I buy it yesterday

the other solution is to use a second 2S Lipo of 800 mah plus a regulator of 6 Volt ( flight duration of 8/12 minute so I dont think I need much moure than 800 mah ) but it will be about 70 gram more .

tks
Dan

Quote:
Look around on the forums. This issue has been discussed for months. We did testing ourselves and the higher the input voltage, the lower amperage output UNLESS you program the output voltage to be higher than the default 5.1v. The BEC is completely unusable with our system on a 4S Lipo in the Hobby Lobby F-5 jet (5 micro servos) when using 5.1v output. Setting the output to 5.7v or higher allows enough current to drive the servos. We tried 4 different Castle BECs, all with the same results.

There is a memo about this on Castle's website, where they specifically state a reduced output current when using more than 12v of input voltage.
stick08 is offline Find More Posts by stick08