SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by JimDrew, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 02:07 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,881 Posts
No, you can not convert the standard 8 channel to a sailplane version.

We may have a Mac version of our software at some point.
JimDrew is offline Find More Posts by JimDrew
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 16, 2012, 09:33 AM
PGR
Low AltiDude
United States, CA, Costa Mesa
Joined Jun 2004
7,947 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Adams View Post
Will your firmware ever be Apple compatible?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew View Post
We may have a Mac version of our software at some point.
FWIW, I bought a used Samsung NC10 Netbook for $45 a couple months ago. The battery pack is getting a little weak (it still lasts ~4 hours) but otherwise it's in excellent shape and works perfectly. It runs Windows XP, has a 160GB drive, WIFI & Bluetooth, 3 USB ports, and an SD card slot. The battery pack is user-replaceable and new ones cost as little as $30.

I already had a state-of-the-art desktop tower and a Samsung Series-7 Slate PC, but I bought the netbook specifically for R/C applications like software for my XPS Device Programmer, Castle Link, Beastlink interface, EagleTree eLogger, CBA, Hitec X2 & X4 chargers, and other R/C-related "smart" devices that I use at the field and on the workbench. I also have a complete library of user's manuals in PDF format for all my R/C gear on it.

I'll have around $75 invested in it if I replace the battery pack and it's been one of the most useful R/C tools I own. Perhaps you should consider an option like this instead of waiting indefinitely for Apple-compatible software for these kinds of devices, Steve.

Pete
PGR is online now Find More Posts by PGR
Old Jan 16, 2012, 02:36 PM
Launceston Arpt, Tasmania, Australia
Joined Jan 2004
564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGR View Post
FWIW, I bought a used Samsung NC10 Netbook for $45 a couple months ago. The battery pack is getting a little weak (it still lasts ~4 hours) but otherwise it's in excellent shape and works perfectly. It runs Windows XP, has a 160GB drive, WIFI & Bluetooth, 3 USB ports, and an SD card slot. The battery pack is user-replaceable and new ones cost as little as $30.

I already had a state-of-the-art desktop tower and a Samsung Series-7 Slate PC, but I bought the netbook specifically for R/C applications like software for my XPS Device Programmer, Castle Link, Beastlink interface, EagleTree eLogger, CBA, Hitec X2 & X4 chargers, and other R/C-related "smart" devices that I use at the field and on the workbench. I also have a complete library of user's manuals in PDF format for all my R/C gear on it.

I'll have around $75 invested in it if I replace the battery pack and it's been one of the most useful R/C tools I own. Perhaps you should consider an option like this instead of waiting indefinitely for Apple-compatible software for these kinds of devices, Steve.

Pete
great thinking 99! but then why should i say anything else, this is exactly what i did, apart for mine being a thinkpad x100e.
E_ferret is offline Find More Posts by E_ferret
Old Apr 22, 2012, 06:12 AM
Joined Apr 2012
5 Posts
Hello Jim

I have a problem (sorry for my englisch....I live in germany).

My hardware: 3x XR-20, 1x XR-16F, 3x ZX-R1; 7x XR-12DX, 1x XZ-T1, MC-19 full equiped with additional moduls.
I update the firmware from receiver V3.8 to 3.9 (XR-20 and XR-16F) and nano receiver V1.6 to 1.7. The version 3.9 with the four big one....no problems. The XR-12DX have the problem: After binding procedure the channels were moved. 1 was 7, 2 was 8, 3 was 9 and so on.... . This is a little bug. Next problem: Now I am not able to look into the receiver with RXDiag. I changed the firmware back to 1.6....no problems with the binding procedure. But now I am not able to use RXDiag on this 7 receivers. I changed the Eprom to the standard, closed the software, open it again, bind the receiver again and made all my changes (failsave ....very good this new item in V1.6) but at the moment when I used the V 1.7 with updater 3.03 I am not able to use RXDiag on the sofware. The same wit updater 2.8 and V 1.6. I own 3 german DX-12 and four „american“ Nano-E Receiver. I bought this four on a travel to canada. The german one told me when opening the first time RXDiag „incorupt Eprom“. When starting the second time the software ..... I had no sucess like the american one´s. But they started RXDiag without a text ...... they started nevermore the software. Absolut first I startet (a long time ago) with firmware V1.4 (Graupner) and V1.5 (from the canada travel).

At the moment it is possible to use 2x XR-20 conected with ZX-R1, 1x XR-16 with ZX-R1, XR-20 single, 7x XR-12 single at the complete same time !!!! Anyone should say the system has a problem...... I don´t have one. OK, normaly I use only two ships. But in this configuration I have six receivers in use. Unfortunately I have to use two receivers for the 12-channels. With XPD I programm two DX-12 from the channels 1 – 6 in 7 to 12. Than i have my 12-channel receiver. One triple is XR-20/ZX-R1/XR-12DX and the second one ist XR-16F/ZX-R1/XR-12DX. Sometimes I have no signal on the XR-12DX..... anyway, in 400m distance I dont see the function on my boat :-) .

Next problem: TxDiag is not able to work with my MC-19. I Think I have V3.8 on the transmitter. Graupner has made the changes two years ago.

And now the absolut biggest problem !!!! Jim !!??!! When do we get in Germany the 12-channel receivers ????? My wife needs a birthday present for me!!!! You have a customer !!! Far, far away but you have one :-). Please make me happy

Wishes from Germay Jürgen
haegartiger is offline Find More Posts by haegartiger
Old Apr 22, 2012, 01:28 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,881 Posts
When you bind multiple Nano receivers together (as master and slave), the slave receivers will automatically be mapped as channels 7-12. This is normal. You should always be able to connect to the XDP with any firmware version. Nobody has reported any issues with that, and it has been months since the release of the last firmware update so that should not be broken. Just make sure you are putting the receivers into XDP programming mode prior to running the XDP software.

The TxDiag does not work in hopping modes 2-5, you will need to change the hopping mode of your transmitter module to 1 in order to use this program. Instead, I would recommend using the RSSI program to check the output of the transmitter module.

There is no release date yet for the 9 or 12 channel receivers.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 22, 2012, 02:57 PM
Joined Apr 2012
5 Posts
Hello Jim

...thanks for your fast help!

First point: I changed the hopping mode from 4 to 1.....perfekt! Now I have V 3.8 on my transmitter. The german handbook has no word about this thing. I have made the changes... work was possible.

Second Point: Hello Jim you don´t now your system :-) :-) !! Belief to me it is possible to bind 11 receiver in all combinations you want. 11! I am very very lazy. I don´t want to bind at every time my many receivers. Only one (best a XR-20) is the master. And all the others are the slaves. In Germany we got from Graupner at Nov 2010 some XR-12DX. I bought all the receivers which my dealer got .... two piece!! And then I started with tests. First i had problems with master/slave. I contacted Graupner and they send me a software with was not available at this moment. Mr. Helbing the service guy from Graupner worked very close and good with, I think you, together. The updater 25 solved this problem perfect. I worked with the updater 28.....also perfect with master slave. But 3.03 has this little bug that the slave receivers RX-12DX are only alowed to work on channel 7 - 12.
I can make a video and sent it to you via VTP-Server. About 90MB it is to big for the forum or E_mail. Belief it......it is possible to use the little XR-12DX in channel-combinations and master/slave cominations you want.

Your system is better as your believe :-)

laughing wishes from Germany Jürgen
Old Apr 22, 2012, 06:00 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,881 Posts
You will need use hopping mode 4 or 5 for European use. Mode 1 is not legal for use since October of 2008.

There is no bug, the receivers are deliberately programmed to map channels 7-12 for all slaves. This was a change requested by many customers. This way you do not need the XDP to map the extra channels for the slave receiver, it is automatically done for you.

You must bind all receivers in master mode if you are not going to be using them all together as slaves. If you don't, the ack's for the system will not be there! Remember, every time a packet of data is sent from the transmitter, the receiver responds with an ACK. ONLY the master responds. So, if you are trying to use just slave receivers, you are missing half the system - don't do it. So, as much as you want to be lazy, you can't. You must bind each receiver separately unless you are using a slave to get more channels. It is DANGEROUS to bind all of the receivers together like you have done - beside losing the ACK, you could have one model on (by mistake), turn on a new model and both models would respond. With individually bound receivers, this can not happen.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by JimDrew; Apr 22, 2012 at 06:07 PM.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 07:07 AM
thaca NY
Joined Mar 2005
8 Posts
XPS TX module

Hi Jim, I did the firmware update for my TX/RX modules (futaba version), I just realized the TX module when I power up the radio, it does the bind with the receiver changing from red to green, but the green light is not completely steady, I mean, it is blinking very fast. It is normal?
Thank you
Pedro V
Ithaca/ NY
pejuve is offline Find More Posts by pejuve
Old Apr 24, 2012, 09:56 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,881 Posts
Whenever the transmitter is in any of the full time frequency hopping modes, the LED will flicker - either red (no receiver connected) or green (receiver connected).
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 24, 2012, 12:01 PM
Joined Apr 2012
5 Posts
Hello Jim

10 Recievers are bound as slave and only one as master (most XR-20). This system has a perfect function. I testet it with 8 receivers in a boat with 8 channels. All of them were slaves! Every function had its own servo or switch. My boat was about 250 meters away and all function were possible. But in this big distance you have problems to see your ship ( ...i wear bifo-glasses.... :-) ). At all the times I had no problems in using two modellships at the same time. The function is perfect. About what problems do you speak? The german Graupner documentation does not speak about constraints in the function of slaves or the one master. The only thing which I have to consider: All the receiver must be bound in one (important!) progress. If I have forgotten one or in the binding process one of the reiceivers is doing not the right thing (colour and frequency of the LED is wrong)....I can do the job new. On the photo you see all the big receivers green and the 7 little12-er red.
If this is wrong please explain me the problem. Normally I am a mechanic and not an electrican.

Best wishes from Germany Jürgen
Old Apr 24, 2012, 12:39 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,881 Posts
Yes, you can bind your slaves together as you have done - it was designed this way in case you need a lot of channels. BUT - unless you are using these all together, you should never do this. You should ALWAYS use master receivers when you can. The master does the ACK (acknowledgement) to the transmitter. Slaves do not. This means that the automatic signal retries do not occur with receivers that are bound as slaves. Also, it is possible to turn on two models with slave receivers and have them both function! This can be dangerous. Only one master responds at a time, so it is much safer.

So, unless you need to have more channels, never bind slaves.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 25, 2012, 12:42 AM
Son, Norway
Joined Sep 2004
3,319 Posts
Quote:
Also, it is possible to turn on two models with slave receivers and have them both function! This can be dangerous.
Might be a good idea to always have ESC's connected to a master then.

Fred
flarssen is offline Find More Posts by flarssen
Old Apr 25, 2012, 02:00 AM
Passion
Joined Sep 2009
322 Posts
Jim, I agree that it can be dangerous. Am I correct to think that if you have a slave in a plane and the master in another, the slave will only work if the master is powered on and do the ACK first? Or will the slave work, irrespective if the master is on or not?
Swen is offline Find More Posts by Swen
Old Apr 25, 2012, 09:47 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,881 Posts
Once the master and slave(s) are bound, they all work at the same time. So, if you had the master in one plane and a slave in any other plane, BOTH would work at the same time. This means if you flew one and forgot to turn it off and turned on the next plane, they BOTH would be live and active. This is NEVER the case when using just master receivers.

When you bind slave receivers, all that occurs is the master receiver's permanent MAC address is copied into the slave receiver's current MAC address, overriding it's permanent MAC address (until it is re-bound). So, all receivers will use the same MAC address at that point.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 25, 2012, 05:24 PM
Launceston Arpt, Tasmania, Australia
Joined Jan 2004
564 Posts
Quote:
Once the master and slave(s) are bound, they all work at the same time. So, if you had the master in one plane and a slave in any other plane, BOTH would work at the same time. This means if you flew one and forgot to turn it off and turned on the next plane, they BOTH would be live and active. This is NEVER the case when using just master receivers.

When you bind slave receivers, all that occurs is the master receiver's permanent MAC address is copied into the slave receiver's current MAC address, overriding it's permanent MAC address (until it is re-bound). So, all receivers will use the same MAC address at that point.
Hi Jim, I think the reason "Haegartiger" is intent on using slaves is in this sentence; "At all the times I had no problems in using two modellships at the same time. The function is perfect. About what problems do you speak?". I think he uses one transmitter to control 2 or more model ships at the same time, something not possible to do if using masters, or am I wrong?
E_ferret is offline Find More Posts by E_ferret