Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by JimDrew, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 25, 2011, 04:58 PM
nothing new under the sun
Joined Jun 2006
175 Posts
Spectre maiden video

hello,

Here the video of the maiden very nice jet to fly ! ( video is not easy to do my camera have an lcd screen ) so no match in flight but more take off and one landing , I have 5 flights up to date with the Xtremlink 8 channel receiver
for powering JR servo and the Xtremlink RX I have my own system :
one A123 -6.6 V 2.3 Amp for the rX, and one Nimh 4 cells 2A plus another one
Nimh 4 cells 1.5 Amp powering only the servos all the + of the servos are soldered together ( so no Plus from any servo goes to the rx ) the - of the two Nimh are together going into the RX in a free port, the + & - of the A123 go to the bat port of the rx, I do this because my JR Servo prefer 4 cells (I fried in the past JR servos by using 5 cells on the same jet that I crashed )
but the Xtremlink works better with 5 cells or more, so I always have a nice Green led on my RX !
Jim I posted you my deffective Rx you should get it next week,
Thank's
Dan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esUb8F8i-RU
stick08 is offline Find More Posts by stick08
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 26, 2011, 05:19 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,703 Posts
What size fan is used in your jet?
JimDrew is offline Find More Posts by JimDrew
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 26, 2011, 07:11 PM
Joined Jun 2006
175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew View Post
What size fan is used in your jet?
Hey Jim,

it is a Ramtec outside diam is 135 mm inside 126,95 mm , what do you think about my electric setup described above ?

Dan
Old Sep 26, 2011, 11:21 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,703 Posts
I would just use a single 1100mah A123 in that setup... it is what I use in my speed planes. The Nimh is a waste.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 27, 2011, 12:45 AM
Son, Norway
Joined Sep 2004
3,259 Posts
If 5 cell NiMh kills his servos, A123 will do it too.
Using A123 2300 on just the Rx (no servos) just adds weight. A small NiMh pack would be enough.

Fred
flarssen is offline Find More Posts by flarssen
Old Sep 27, 2011, 01:42 AM
Joined Jun 2006
175 Posts
Hello guys !

thank's for your comments, in fact the big A123 is just because I need weight for balance ( the saddle tanks are behind the CG so I need moreweight in the nose )
Dan
Old Sep 27, 2011, 10:03 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,703 Posts
A123 batteries are lower voltage than 5 cell Nimh packs.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 27, 2011, 03:07 PM
Joined Jun 2006
175 Posts
Spectre

as I know Jim you like this jet as me, I have now 12 flight here a much better video my cameraman was in a better form !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZxr19fO-Cw

very fast & very stable maybe will electrify later it with your system that sound good
Last edited by stick08; Sep 27, 2011 at 04:58 PM.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 04:22 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,703 Posts
Very nice. Is there info on this jet somewhere on the web? I would like to see size, weight, etc.

Thanks for sharing!
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 27, 2011, 05:08 PM
Joined Jun 2006
175 Posts
thank's Jim

yes not much info on the net ( its a old kit from Australia I bought in 2003 I think..) here the info from the manual:
lenght 172 cm
wing span 127 cm
my weight 5.3 kgs , catalog 4.5 to 5.5 ( without fuel )
Springair, OS91VRDF, Ramtec fan

this airplane is capable of speeds in excess 330 kmh !! I will test mine when telemetry will be available.
Daniel
here the last video of the 11st flight: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jk8ri_x8vWk
now I have to clean it and take out all the oily things and puting it aside for a while until I decide or to electrify or to go to turbine,
Last edited by stick08; Sep 28, 2011 at 12:56 AM. Reason: video link
Old Sep 28, 2011, 11:15 AM
Joined Jun 2006
175 Posts
Hello jim and all guys,

Jim I get an email from Scott saying my replacement RX 8 channel is sent to me just waiting my paypal for the postage, ( I just made it) thank you so much ! I ask Scott if not too late to put some Xtremlink stickers that I will put on my planes ( only the nicest ! )
did you found out what was the issue with my poor IFS Rx ?

also I am very lucky : yesterday for the 10th flight with the Spectre I found just before taking off that I have no more ailerons ! the digital servo JR DS8301 fried, it's not the first time but I thought it was before when I was using 5 Nimh cells and crashed my first Spectre few years ago ,but as I explain above this time all servo are with 4 cells, any idea what is the problème with JR servo ? I bought them 5 years ago together with my TX JR pcm9XII, I think to take out all these JR and put instead 6 servos Hitec HS6055BB ( I never had any issue with Hitec since 20 years ago )

Spectre will have an "overall" too much oil.... have to clean the plane and to put a 2nd varnish coat again on the red.

again Jim thank you for the prompt and good service in this case it is much more than service it is very friendly from you !

Daniel
Last edited by stick08; Sep 28, 2011 at 11:18 AM. Reason: video link already sent
Old Sep 28, 2011, 03:16 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,703 Posts
The RF module (XBee) failed for some reason. That is why the LED was flashing red/orange over and over on power up.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 03, 2011, 02:09 PM
Tucson, AZ
Joined Aug 2006
353 Posts
Daniel,
The JR DS8301 Servos might be 4.8 volt only servos. I can ONLY find 4.8 volt specs. Lost a plane that way. A 100CC plane and the guy I bought it from had put 4.8 volt only servos in the ailerons. (Futaba S9252 $100 servos at the time.) The servos worked great until they saw the air load at take off and they quit.

You can still use the JR DS8301 Servos with the A123s. Just go here:

http://www.tech-aero.net/

Right now limited to two cell A123 but he is coming out with a new setup so you can use three cell A123s. I want to use three cells to increase the capacity of my A123 systems.

The voltage out is adjustable in something like 24 steps. Just drop the voltage down to about 5 volts and you can still use the JR DS8301 Servos.

This guy's stuff is rock solid. He uses a safe switch setup with four lines running to the switch. In the dual system the grounds are kept separate.

I am using his IBEC (ignition battery eliminator) on my gas planes. No ignition battery and integrated kill.
skubacb is offline Find More Posts by skubacb
Last edited by skubacb; Oct 03, 2011 at 02:35 PM.
Old Oct 08, 2011, 03:35 PM
Joined Jun 2006
175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skubacb View Post
Daniel,
The JR DS8301 Servos might be 4.8 volt only servos. I can ONLY find 4.8 volt specs. Lost a plane that way. A 100CC plane and the guy I bought it from had put 4.8 volt only servos in the ailerons. (Futaba S9252 $100 servos at the time.) The servos worked great until they saw the air load at take off and they quit.

You can still use the JR DS8301 Servos with the A123s. Just go here:

http://www.tech-aero.net/

Right now limited to two cell A123 but he is coming out with a new setup so you can use three cell A123s. I want to use three cells to increase the capacity of my A123 systems.

The voltage out is adjustable in something like 24 steps. Just drop the voltage down to about 5 volts and you can still use the JR DS8301 Servos.

This guy's stuff is rock solid. He uses a safe switch setup with four lines running to the switch. In the dual system the grounds are kept separate.

I am using his IBEC (ignition battery eliminator) on my gas planes. No ignition battery and integrated kill.
Thank's for the info, just note that this time all my JR servos are powered with 4 Nimh cells the A123 is only powering the rX.
Old Oct 08, 2011, 03:46 PM
Joined Jun 2006
175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew View Post
The RF module (XBee) failed for some reason. That is why the LED was flashing red/orange over and over on power up.
Hi Jim,

as I told to Scott I received my RX and already test it first in my electricub ( Greatplanes ) and then in my Composit Sapac Hawk I was able to take off from grass with only 4s and Sapac stock gear, the rX is fine and I am very satisfy with XPS quality & service .

I just wanted to know if my Rx was repaired or you put a new Xps gear inside the ifs box ?

I put the XPS stickers on many of my jets will send you later pictures of my xps fleet !
XPS is a company people can trust, I fly all my jets since about 3 years and never had one issue, I am flying near Paris airport ( lot of radars noise there and at the time I was in PCM I had a lot radio troubles ) no more issue now with XPS

so thank you again for helping me,
Daniel