SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by JimDrew, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jun 15, 2010, 12:29 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,938 Posts
You don't have a flashable CPU. None of our original products have ever been stated as being in-field flashable. Only our recent products (satellite receivers, 3 channel surface receivers, and new nano receivers) are in fact in-field flashable.
JimDrew is offline Find More Posts by JimDrew
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 16, 2010, 06:31 AM
Joined Aug 2009
7 Posts
Hi Jim,
two years waiting for what will be possible to buy J1 module with upgradable CPU. In this respect is something new, or this module is not still in the market (you can not guarantee ...).

Thank you very much

Premek
Premek is offline Find More Posts by Premek
Old Jun 16, 2010, 10:47 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,938 Posts
NONE of our original product line are stated as being in-field flashable. However, nearly everything we have produced since October 2008 has this ability. Because we could never be guaranteed which CPU we would receive during production, we could not make this an officlal feature with the original product line. All of our new products do have a flashable CPU.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 22, 2010, 02:41 AM
Joined Jun 2010
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew View Post
NONE of our original product line are stated as being in-field flashable. However, nearly everything we have produced since October 2008 has this ability. Because we could never be guaranteed which CPU we would receive during production, we could not make this an officlal feature with the original product line. All of our new products do have a flashable CPU.
Agreed but.........

The impression given by the "upgrade" offer of Xtremelink, was that after the upgrade the units would be field reflashable. So essentially this means that I will have to send my Tx in for an upgrade periodically?
victorg is offline Find More Posts by victorg
Old Jun 22, 2010, 10:32 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,938 Posts
We don't believe that any such impression is given. Nowhere is this stated or implied. The upgrade information states the new features, and it is never stated that the hardware itself is changed.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 23, 2010, 03:14 AM
Joined Jun 2010
4 Posts
Quote:
We don't believe that any such impression is given. Nowhere is this stated or implied. The upgrade information states the new features, and it is never stated that the hardware itself is changed.
Agreed wrt hardware change, but.....

From your Telemetry Station webpage:
NOTE: A firmware upgrade for your existing transmitter modules and receivers is required in order to use this product. This upgrade requires the return of your existing hardware to accomplish this. It is not possible to upgrade any existing units in-field due to a necessary RF firmware change. Details on how to return your system(s) will be included when you receive this product.

I could swear that this statement used to appear with the XDP info as well - perhaps I am mistaken.

Anyway, my point here is that the NOTE above is misleading - it implies that that a software upgrade is ALL that is required in order to get the units to a point whereby they can be in-field upgraded. At the time when I returned my system for upgrade, there was no mention whatsoever that there may be some units that would remain non in-field upgradeable due to their level of hardware.

Enough said. I need to point out here that I am merely disappointed due to my expectation not being entirely fulfilled. After all, it is only my TX that remains on V3.4. I believe that Xtremelink is an AWESOME system, and will continue to use and support it, regardless. I have used the system for a number of years now, and it is the only RF system that I fly off.
Old Jun 23, 2010, 04:31 AM
most exalted one
Canada, BC, Blind Bay
Joined Aug 2002
3,603 Posts
Quote:
You've got to keep being clear. new products to the layman can mean ordered new but old design.

You need to be clear new designs not new products.
4*60 is offline Find More Posts by 4*60
Old Jun 23, 2010, 11:06 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,938 Posts
victor, this statement never appeared with the XDP because the XDP never needed to be upgraded. It was just the telemetry stations that need upgraded to support v3.x.

4*60, you are absolutely right! It is a terminology difference. I will make sure to keep that in mind with future information. Thanks!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 23, 2010, 05:33 PM
xjh
Joined Dec 2006
218 Posts
What a bunch of "nit pickers" on this thread.Did you buy the product on the basis of its "upgrade ability" or for the features of this great product line? Jim Drew you have the patience of a saint to put up with the constant attack of a group of people who argue semantics. How many times do you have to say the same thing. XJH
xjh is offline Find More Posts by xjh
Old Jun 25, 2010, 04:09 AM
Joined Jun 2010
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xjh View Post
What a bunch of "nit pickers" on this thread.Did you buy the product on the basis of its "upgrade ability" or for the features of this great product line? Jim Drew you have the patience of a saint to put up with the constant attack of a group of people who argue semantics. How many times do you have to say the same thing. XJH
XJH - clearly you have missed the point. I'll type slooooowwwwwly so that you get it...

I/we/others would have UPGRADED on the basis of future "upgrade ability".
Old Jun 25, 2010, 06:01 AM
xjh
Joined Dec 2006
218 Posts
So would I had it been available. The way I read it I was never going to be able to. I am grateful, that for a reasonable fee, I have been able to bring all my gear up to date. Let us all just get over it and give Jim Drew space and time to do what he does best, Innovate and "push the boundaries" instead of fielding innane time wasting dialogue
Old Jun 25, 2010, 05:18 PM
Joined Jun 2010
1 Posts
To Add to what Victor is saying, I chose to purchase Xtremelink, based on the understanding that the system was upgadable. There were a lot of unanswered questions, at the time re frequency hopping ect, but there seemd to be a lot in the pipeline, and I comfoted by the understanding that the equipment was upgradable, and following the factory upgrade from ver 2 to 3, I also understood that future upgrades could be done ourselves. I even bought the XDP. For those living outside the USA, the cost to ship our equipment back to Xtremelink, is very high, not to mention the additional shipping time we incur. So for those outside the USA, this is a big issue. My module, fortunately upgraded to 3.8 successfully, but I do understand Victor's frustration. XJH, you obviously don't have this problem????
Dobos is offline Find More Posts by Dobos
Old Jun 26, 2010, 02:54 AM
xjh
Joined Dec 2006
218 Posts
all the gear I purchased was when it was first available, it has never let me down, I FLY f5B IN AUSTRALIA! iNCONVENIENT? yES reliable , You bet, XJH
Old Jun 26, 2010, 08:06 AM
Hanover, Germany
Joined Oct 2009
53 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobos View Post
For those living outside the USA, the cost to ship our equipment back to Xtremelink, is very high, not to mention the additional shipping time we incur. So for those outside the USA, this is a big issue.
Hello,

here in Europe for example we have Graupner as the distributor of the XPS (iFS) System. They provide excellent service for soft- and hardware problems.

Regards
Martin
ktmraupe is offline Find More Posts by ktmraupe
Old Jun 26, 2010, 04:34 PM
Joined Jan 2009
40 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmraupe View Post
Hello,

here in Europe for example we have Graupner as the distributor of the XPS (iFS) System. They provide excellent service for soft- and hardware problems.

Regards
Martin
that`s true
siedleri is offline Find More Posts by siedleri