Old Jul 07, 2008, 10:36 PM
USA'd ex Brit
Back.. In California
Joined Aug 2006
5,780 Posts
Build Log
Aerokits Sea Hornet

Toesup Boat Werks (Speedboat Division)

Some time ago i started a build thread about the Aerokits Sea Hornet I had received the plan for from Great Britain. At the time i was too involved in 'other' things to do much building... but now i have a 'space' in the build schedule to fit this one in.

Some background:
The Aerokits Sea Hornet was designed by L.J. Rowell and first produced in the late 1950' / early 1960's by Aerokits of Norfolk, Great Britain. It was distributed by Keil Kraft (of the free flight plane models fame) of Essex, Great Britain.

Many years ago, back in the mid 1960's my Father had an operation on his back and for some occupational threapy (to keep his mind occupied, too) while he had very little mobility he built the Sea Hornet as a present to me. We had some memorable days at the local pond free running the 'Hornet' with a small watercooled diesel motor.

When i moved to the USA from Great Britain, space for the move was at a premium so the Hornet had to be sold... unfortunatly... A decision i have regretted since.

The build part:
When the plan arrived, i realised that as this plan came originally from a kit, it didnt have the bulkheads drawn, so i have had to develop these before i started to cut wood.

Over the last few days, i have started to gather the parts to put a replacement Sea Hornet together. The brushless motor and ESC has been 'donated' from one of my 1/10th cars rather than go to a diesel... I've got a suitable prop tube and prop (Mr Harbor Models is AMAZING!)... and I have started to cut the keel and bulkheads.

This is to become a British version of a Mahogany Runabout.

To be continued
toesup is offline Find More Posts by toesup
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 07, 2008, 10:50 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
13,369 Posts
Very cool, Toes!!!

Is that you on the left of the period photo?
Aerominded is online now Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Jul 07, 2008, 11:01 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,374 Posts
Oh goody...

Hey! Wait a minute. I don't believe that's him Aero...I thought Toes had a tattoo?
Tugboat Andy is offline Find More Posts by Tugboat Andy
Last edited by Tugboat Andy; Jul 07, 2008 at 11:22 PM.
Old Jul 07, 2008, 11:41 PM
USA'd ex Brit
Back.. In California
Joined Aug 2006
5,780 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerominded
Is that you on the left of the period photo?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugboat Andy
Hey! Wait a minute. I don't believe that's him Aero...I thought Toes had a tattoo?
Ok... ok, I admit it... yes, thats me on the left of the (circa) 1965 photo...
Old Jul 08, 2008, 12:10 AM
Joined Apr 2007
1,374 Posts
That is a great photo! It captures one of those moments that transcends culture, status, wealth etc. etc. Hopefully most of us can look at that picture and know how you felt and how your folks felt taking the picture.
Tugboat Andy is offline Find More Posts by Tugboat Andy
Old Jul 08, 2008, 12:21 AM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
22,594 Posts
Do you happen to know the person who purchased your original? Perhaps you could buy it bacK?
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Jul 08, 2008, 01:25 AM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
13,369 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugboat Andy
That is a great photo! It captures one of those moments that transcends culture, status, wealth etc. etc. Hopefully most of us can look at that picture and know how you felt and how your folks felt taking the picture.

Indeed! and hopefully we still feel that way when we see great boats our friends bring to the pond!
Aerominded is online now Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Jul 08, 2008, 02:03 AM
USA'd ex Brit
Back.. In California
Joined Aug 2006
5,780 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmot
Do you happen to know the person who purchased your original? Perhaps you could buy it bacK?
The 'original' Hornet went to Auction in Birmingham, GB back in 2004...

Do you really think its possible to track down the buyer Kmot?...
Old Jul 08, 2008, 09:57 AM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
22,594 Posts
Well, at first I thought you may have sold it to a club member. However, since it went to an auction house, I am positive you can track the buyer down. Contact the acution house, state who you are and why you are interested and have them research their records and give "your" contact info to the buyer. For privacy reasons they most likely would not give the buyer info to you but would forward your info on to the buyer.
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Jul 08, 2008, 10:47 AM
WooHoo!
Lake Balboa, CA
Joined Jun 2007
5,036 Posts
Looks neat Toes. Is that a dual cockpit/windshield runabout? Will you be double planking the hull and using strips or sheets? Ah natural or painted? Looks to be in the 28-32Ē range.

Iíve been very happy with the mahogany that Northeastern Scale Lumber Company supplies, assuming mahogany will be your timber of choice.
woodybob is offline Find More Posts by woodybob
Old Jul 08, 2008, 11:28 AM
USA'd ex Brit
Back.. In California
Joined Aug 2006
5,780 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodybob
Is that a dual cockpit/windshield runabout? Will you be double planking the hull and using strips or sheets? Ah natural or painted? Looks to be in the 28-32Ē range.

....assuming mahogany will be your timber of choice.
Its 25 1/4" long Woodybob... and yes, its a dual cockpit / windshield mahogany runabout. Its a semi-scale model of a British runabout (there are some still left doing pleasure runs in Cornwall) of the 50's / 60's period.

The hull is 1/16" ply bottom, sides and deck, so the bottom and sides will be painted (classic red )... the plan says to 'line / draw' the deck planking and then varnish it...
I'm thinking, as i have some mahogany veneer, to stilll go the 1/16" ply deck route but 'false plank' over the ply deck with veneer and then varnish it.
I've used that method on a couple of Springers (Tigger's roof) and it seemed to have worked quite successfully...
Old Jul 08, 2008, 04:36 PM
Grosse Pointe, Mi
Joined Jun 2005
1,090 Posts
Ralph,

Looks like we are in for another treat!
The basic construction sure looks familiar...
I'd be interested to see how the flair at the back of the hull looks in a turn.
Will you be modifying your prop tube to include a lube tube?
Brushless - with reverse on the ESC?

Robert
Rob_P is offline Find More Posts by Rob_P
Old Jul 08, 2008, 05:31 PM
USA'd ex Brit
Back.. In California
Joined Aug 2006
5,780 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_P
The basic construction sure looks familiar...
I'd be interested to see how the flair at the back of the hull looks in a turn.
Will you be modifying your prop tube to include a lube tube?
Brushless - with reverse on the ESC?
Yes, the construction of all the Aerokits hulls (I now have 4 plans from the range) is of a similar nature, its just the superstructure that dictates the construction method. The Sea Hornet should be fairly easy as its built upside down over the plan and then the deck formers are added once the hull has been formed.

The Sea Nymph turns quite flat and doesnt seem to 'roll' in a turn. Its even been commented upon by a few at the Tualatin pool a couple of weeks ago.
I'm expecting the Hornet to be the same as the bottom of the hull profile is about the same.

The prop tube has been modified to include the lube tube this morning

Yes, its a brushless set up... and has reverse as it came from one of my 1/10th cars.
Old Jul 09, 2008, 04:09 PM
WooHoo!
Lake Balboa, CA
Joined Jun 2007
5,036 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by toesup
I'm thinking, as i have some mahogany veneer, to stilll go the 1/16" ply deck route but 'false plank' over the ply deck with veneer and then varnish it.
Good way to go. Seems like a good sound way to build this runabout. Two ply.

My first runabout was built with just 1/6th" mahogany all around & one day I dropped a plastic 35mm film canister, still had the film in it, and punched a hole through the deck. It was a sad day for me. Hasnít been near water since.

I dug my first runabout out. I must have repaired the puncture, because I remember it being worse than it looks. It's been in a box for over 15 years.
woodybob is offline Find More Posts by woodybob
Last edited by woodybob; Jul 11, 2008 at 07:06 PM. Reason: added pix
Old Jul 13, 2008, 10:59 PM
USA'd ex Brit
Back.. In California
Joined Aug 2006
5,780 Posts
Toesup Boat Werks (Speedboat Division)

And so the construction begins...

I've spent the last few days wetting and bending the spruce chine stringers so they take on the form of the boat and make the construction easier.
All i did was trace out the rough line of the stringers and transfer the line to the building board... a few nails on the line and i had a 'form' to work with.

The bulkheads have gone in tonight, and the keel... The transom bulkhead was the only one that needed some 'easing' (i was expecting at least one) as I've had to draw them from the plan and side view.