SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 07, 2008, 04:39 AM
Joined Jul 2008
1 Posts
Discussion
Hello Guys ! Anybody has readings of temperature on ST 3000?

Does anybody has readings of the normal working temperature at the glow plug of an Supertigre 3000?

I own a Supertigre 3000 since many years, but I been increasingly concern about the normal or right working temperature
If I set the high needle well open thus limiting the engine for something less than 7000 rpm with a 18x8 or 18x10 propeller runs with a detonating noise and vibrating , but the hottest temperature reading from an Infra Red thermometer is (92 C) 193 F and as far as I know this is something like the limit!. (also the engine runs a little better with the 18x10 prop)
If I make the correct adjustment for the engine to run nice and smooth it gets instantly to ( 118 C) 244 F which I think is too much.
(all of the reading where at the glow plug)
The fuel is self made methanol of a good brand plus castor oil medicinal type 12% , But this oil has build a lot a carbon inside the engine and a little ago a needed to change the piston ring 'cause it was crystallized I think from the high working temperatures, So I'll try all synthetic blend at 14% also. But I'll be much comfortable knowing the right temperature, measured at the glow plug.

Thanks very much!
maverickgustav is offline Find More Posts by maverickgustav
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 07, 2008, 07:33 AM
Joined Feb 2007
2,774 Posts
Your reading of 244f at peak is perfectly normal and not bad in any way.
I TOBOR is offline Find More Posts by I TOBOR
Old Jul 07, 2008, 01:35 PM
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Nov 2004
193 Posts
I wonder if the castor is the problem. Pharmaceutical castor has not been de-gummed the way hobby castor is. (Bakers AA or Sig) Ross
on pipe is offline Find More Posts by on pipe
Old Jul 08, 2008, 09:55 AM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Hello maverickgustav,

I find your initiated thread quite interesting because it involves so many HIGHLY variables such as
= the accuracy of temperature measuring reflectometers,
- the nature of the reflecting surface,
- indications that radiated heat readings is inconsistent.
- the effect of heat conductivity and convection at the meauring point/area.
- the spectrum responsiveness of the measuring equipment.

For all or some of the above reasons, we had to abandon reflectometers as not sufficiently accurate. At best on smooth uniform polished steel surfaces we had as much as 10% temperature differences with contact measuring instruments (laboratory thermocouples).

Aiming at a glow plug, which is what I understand you have been doing, is far from being a smooth polished metal surface which complicates the measurement further.

I do realize that your accurcy needs are not that great but consider also that 10% of 244 deg F is about 25 degrees.

The best value of that test (measuement) would be on a relative basis and not on an absolute basis.

Have fun, experimenting always is interesting and enjoyable.

Zor

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverickgustav
Does anybody has readings of the normal working temperature at the glow plug of an Supertigre 3000?

I own a Supertigre 3000 since many years, but I been increasingly concern about the normal or right working temperature
If I set the high needle well open thus limiting the engine for something less than 7000 rpm with a 18x8 or 18x10 propeller runs with a detonating noise and vibrating , but the hottest temperature reading from an Infra Red thermometer is (92 C) 193 F and as far as I know this is something like the limit!. (also the engine runs a little better with the 18x10 prop)
If I make the correct adjustment for the engine to run nice and smooth it gets instantly to ( 118 C) 244 F which I think is too much.
(all of the reading where at the glow plug)
The fuel is self made methanol of a good brand plus castor oil medicinal type 12% , But this oil has build a lot a carbon inside the engine and a little ago a needed to change the piston ring 'cause it was crystallized I think from the high working temperatures, So I'll try all synthetic blend at 14% also. But I'll be much comfortable knowing the right temperature, measured at the glow plug.

Thanks very much!
Zor is offline Find More Posts by Zor
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 10, 2008, 10:50 PM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverickgustav

Thanks very much!
maverickgustav,

Any comments following my posting ? ? ?

Zor
Old Jul 11, 2008, 04:52 AM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Is this a DEAD thread ?

Addressed to everyone,

Is this thread "dead" ?

I was hoping to read comments from anyone with temperatue measurements on engines.

Only 3 responses in 4 days ! ! !

Engine operating temperaure is vital to the internal ignition timing and the resulting good health of the engine.

Ignition timing has consequences for the developped power as well as engine life.

Anyone with data on their engine operating tempeature _ _ _
Please let us know what we can expect as normal with a few details as to which engine was measured, the prop used, the measuring apparatus used and the location of the measurements taken.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Zor
Old Jul 11, 2008, 06:11 AM
Joined Feb 2007
2,774 Posts
Zor, actually the silence is speaking volumes, you yourself answered the question, so many variables that the the numbers is useless. This has been discussed many times here and on other RC sites and the conclusion is always the same, set the needles so the engine runs well and forget about it. People end up chasing their tail and getting discouraged if you try to set for a certain head temperature.
I TOBOR is offline Find More Posts by I TOBOR
Old Jul 11, 2008, 07:00 AM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by I TOBOR
Zor, actually the silence is speaking volumes, you yourself answered the question, so many variables that the the numbers is useless. This has been discussed many times here and on other RC sites and the conclusion is always the same, set the needles so the engine runs well and forget about it. People end up chasing their tail and getting discouraged if you try to set for a certain head temperature.
Hello I TOBOR,

I was just expecting that someone would post results of some of their experiments.

I was not hinting that we should aim at setting the engine to operate at a specific temperature.

I would think that the engine designers have set the fins designed to take care of that for normal operation.

I have a fair experience using temperature reading instruments although I do not have any of this lab equipmen at home.

When we were designing the sterilizing modules for the beverage industry heating to 280 deg F in sanitary steam and then flashing under 20 inches of vacuum, we were very concerned about the temperature involved. Only the bi-metallic contact lab measuring devices and the RTDs were reliable.

For those curious, RTD are Resistance Temperatur Devices that are immersed in the fluids to read the temperatures.
The bi-metallics were used to measure the temperatures at the outside surfaces of stainless steel vessels and piping. Smooth highly polished surfaces.

Details above to show that Zor is not "blowing a balloon" and knows what he is talking about.

Thanks for your response I TOBOR, it is much appreciated.

Have a great day,

Zor