HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 06, 2008, 09:22 PM
Joined May 2007
11 Posts
Question
problems with ar6200 spektrum recievers

Hello all,

I'm haveing some interesting issues with the AR6200 DSM2 6-channel reciever, and by issues i mean going of the air for no apparent reason and destroying the airplane.

i own 3 of these they've all done it, the latest one is one of the new versions with quick connect, this one put a plane in last sunday, flew faultlessly for 10 flights at 18min per flight then went dead less than 150m away and when we got there everything is working and lights are not even flashing to tell me i've had a power problem.

fyi I use big lipos and big regs in little planes so I don't have power problems

any thoughts, shares, ideas etc welcomed :
darrengarratt is offline Find More Posts by darrengarratt
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 06, 2008, 10:59 PM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,687 Posts
If you have 3 of them not working, it is one of these choices:

-Your TX is faulty.
-Your installations are poor (got any pictures of the instalation?)
-you have an extremely RF cluttered flying environment
-your luck is really exceptionaly poor and you have 3 defective receivers.

Did you range check before the flight at that field, and during the range check did you walk around the plane in a big circle to verify that it works in most (all) directions?
village_idiot is offline Find More Posts by village_idiot
Old Jul 07, 2008, 02:19 AM
Joined May 2007
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by village_idiot
If you have 3 of them not working, it is one of these choices:

-Your TX is faulty.
-Your installations are poor (got any pictures of the instalation?)
-you have an extremely RF cluttered flying environment
-your luck is really exceptionaly poor and you have 3 defective receivers.

Did you range check before the flight at that field, and during the range check did you walk around the plane in a big circle to verify that it works in most (all) directions?
-it was with 3 different dx7 transmitters (mine, my wifes and a friends)
-my installations are working fine in every other airframe i own that doesnt contain an ar6200 reviever
-incidents occured at 3 geographically diverse flying sites and 2.4ghz is not supposed to be sensitive to cluttered rf environment
-bingo!! lucky me

yes i do range checks my original post states that the most recent of these incidents occured after 180 minutes of succesfull flying.
Old Jul 07, 2008, 02:33 AM
Joined May 2007
11 Posts
ar6200 reciever

I'm actually interested to hear from anyone who has had similar experiences, not try and trouble shoot the problem.

I own lot's of spektrum gear and have no issues with any of it, i've been aware of the low voltage, antenae orientation issues since the early days and have a number of airframes flying with ar7000 and ar6100 with no problems.

I'm of the opinion that these don't work like they should
Old Jul 08, 2008, 05:52 PM
Perpetual RC Newbie
Powell, OH
Joined Aug 2007
96 Posts
Well, I hate to speculate, but I lost my Sundowner 50 on Sunday to an "apparent" DX7/AR6200 lock-out, or loss of signal. Similarly to you, after several good flights, and then I lose control on my final approach. I had peaked my batteries, both TX and RX before the flight. (it's a Saito 82 glow plane)

I was left scratching my head, and honestly unsure exactly what had happened. That's what you get when it happens with almost no time to react. It is all "a blur", but I distinctly recall losing control input altogether. Yet when I reached the twitching carcass, the radio was responding, though it had thrown it's secondary receiver. (total loss - nose first into the dirt) RX battery tests OK still, and I've discharged and charged again to verify cell health. All linkages looked intact as well, so I don't think it was mechanical.

This left me concerned about the radio setup to say the least, but I don't want to jump to conclusions. I have used mostly AR6100's in my electrics, with only one other AR6200 that I have used. Have never had a problem to date. So now I'm trolling for others experiences here to help me put the pieces together in my head. Point being, I don't want that to happen again!

Someone needs to talk me off a ledge, as this loss made me seriously consider getting a 72Mhz system. But I don't want to be hasty . I have heard a lot of people unnecessarily bash the 2.4 stuff out of what appeared to be mostly "fear of new technology", and I always poo-poo'd it as I had never had a problem. Now with my first problem here... I'm puzzled. This kind of thing can happen with any radio, I guess...
Shazbot996 is offline Find More Posts by Shazbot996
Old Jul 08, 2008, 11:03 PM
Perpetual RC Newbie
Powell, OH
Joined Aug 2007
96 Posts
Spoke too soon...

Well, I spoke too soon about the AR6200. Sorry about the confusion.

Indeed, the problem I had appears *not* to be RX related, but rather is just a bad servo. I went through a post-mortem on the electronics from the downed sundowner, and discovered that the elevator servo was malfunctioning. Sad as this was a brand new servo (Hitec HS-325HB).

So, to date, I have two AR6200's that have both worked flawlessly... one with the newer firmware, and one without.

Failed Servo Experiment (2 min 31 sec)
Shazbot996 is offline Find More Posts by Shazbot996
Old Jul 09, 2008, 10:44 AM
Sailplane Mafia
United States, SC, Summerville
Joined Jun 2001
2,164 Posts
Great news that you found it. I had a brand new Hitec 65HB with the same issue out of the box. Luckily I discovered it while setting up the radio on the bench. I also had a Hitec 55 drive any RX crazy.
gquiring is offline Find More Posts by gquiring
Old Jul 09, 2008, 01:09 PM
elliptical = beauty
United States, TN, Greeneville
Joined Jul 2007
503 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrengarratt
Hello all,

I'm haveing some interesting issues with the AR6200 DSM2 6-channel reciever, and by issues i mean going of the air for no apparent reason and destroying the airplane.

i own 3 of these they've all done it, the latest one is one of the new versions with quick connect, this one put a plane in last sunday, flew faultlessly for 10 flights at 18min per flight then went dead less than 150m away and when we got there everything is working and lights are not even flashing to tell me i've had a power problem.

fyi I use big lipos and big regs in little planes so I don't have power problems

any thoughts, shares, ideas etc welcomed :
Quote:
-it was with 3 different dx7 transmitters (mine, my wifes and a friends)
-my installations are working fine in every other airframe i own that doesnt contain an ar6200 reviever
-incidents occured at 3 geographically diverse flying sites and 2.4ghz is not supposed to be sensitive to cluttered rf environment
-bingo!! lucky me

sounds like you have all the right conditions for all the right answers. this story sounds just a bit bogus.

perhaps you should offer more detail. what kind of "big lipos", and what kind of "little planes". where are you flying that is so "geographically diverse"? and what all else have you ruled out before concluding the AR6200 is causing problems?
Rascal_Tom is offline Find More Posts by Rascal_Tom
Old Jul 09, 2008, 08:18 PM
Joined May 2007
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascal_Tom
sounds like you have all the right conditions for all the right answers. this story sounds just a bit bogus.

perhaps you should offer more detail. what kind of "big lipos", and what kind of "little planes". where are you flying that is so "geographically diverse"? and what all else have you ruled out before concluding the AR6200 is causing problems?

Of course I have nothing better to do than post bogus stories about bung recievers on rc groups,

but to answer your questions:-

big lipos means 4000mAh 2cell running through 5 amp dualsky regulator set at 5 volts as the on board pack (i dont like charging at the field and spektrum gear normally likes this setup)
little planes means .46 glow size airframes
geographically diverse means the incidents happened miles away from each other one at our local club, one on private property about 40km from the club and one at a slope soaring site which is around 140km away from the others.

what would you like me to "rule out",,, all 3 of the aircraft had thier radios still working after the incidents. Meaning nothing came unplugged, nothing switched off, no servos jammed up, no batteries were flat, no wires were broken, no mechanical issues, just loss of contact between transmitter and reciever for short periods at bad times.

also 2 of the 3 airframes were able to be salvaged and repaired and have since flown again with the same on board power system, servos and the same transmitter but using ar7000 recievers with no problems.

I've performed searches on most of the bigger forums and know that the ar6200 has a good reputation, but despite that these things did happen and my personal choice will be not to use these recievers anymore.

you don't have to agree with me I was just trying to find out if I was the exception to the rule and it looks like I am, and thats ok.
Old Jul 09, 2008, 08:36 PM
Joined May 2007
11 Posts
just one thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazbot996
Well, I hate to speculate, but I lost my Sundowner 50 on Sunday to an "apparent" DX7/AR6200 lock-out, or loss of signal. Similarly to you, after several good flights, and then I lose control on my final approach. I had peaked my batteries, both TX and RX before the flight. (it's a Saito 82 glow plane)

I was left scratching my head, and honestly unsure exactly what had happened. That's what you get when it happens with almost no time to react. It is all "a blur", but I distinctly recall losing control input altogether. Yet when I reached the twitching carcass, the radio was responding, though it had thrown it's secondary receiver. (total loss - nose first into the dirt) RX battery tests OK still, and I've discharged and charged again to verify cell health. All linkages looked intact as well, so I don't think it was mechanical.

This left me concerned about the radio setup to say the least, but I don't want to jump to conclusions. I have used mostly AR6100's in my electrics, with only one other AR6200 that I have used. Have never had a problem to date. So now I'm trolling for others experiences here to help me put the pieces together in my head. Point being, I don't want that to happen again!

Someone needs to talk me off a ledge, as this loss made me seriously consider getting a 72Mhz system. But I don't want to be hasty . I have heard a lot of people unnecessarily bash the 2.4 stuff out of what appeared to be mostly "fear of new technology", and I always poo-poo'd it as I had never had a problem. Now with my first problem here... I'm puzzled. This kind of thing can happen with any radio, I guess...

Shazbot996,

sundowner is a really nice aircraft a real pity to lose it like that, I have a kyosho kelly racer going together now with OS 56 alpha up front.

Spektrum radio is awesome don't get rid of it.

convince yourself that the servo was malfunctioning 'before' the crash its common for servos to be damaged in impact, i've looked inside crashed servos that look undamaged from the outside and found broken wires, broken circuit boards, damaged pots, blown motor windings etc etc. you say the servo was new, how many flights before this incident? was it a maiden flight?

I also have had hitec servos that were faulty in the box, don't blame hitec they make excellent servos. I've also seen faulty one's from just about every other manufacturer.

also if you consider your impact was bad test all your gear thoroughly before putting it in another airframe, open servos and look inside, servos can have gears stripped that doesn't show up in a quick wiggle. Try and do your testing under load and at range, I know this sounds complicated but a couple of hours of your time spent doing this may prevent the requirement for rake and garbage bag at your next flying day
Last edited by darrengarratt; Jul 09, 2008 at 08:51 PM.
Old Jul 13, 2008, 02:41 AM
Joined Jul 2008
4 Posts
We have seen all kinds of issues with Spektrum AR6200 receviers at our field. The AR7000's work great. We are thinking there is a problem with the 6200's in general. Most of the people using 6200's have started to get rid of them one way or another.

See the video we did here:

Spektrum AR6200 vs AR7000 (3 min 51 sec)

This is just a basic demo, we have done many more hours of troubleshooting off camera (switching batteries, changing locations, parameters, etc.). In fact, we had the 6200 hanging out of the plane at one point and still could not get a clean range check. Due to this we sent the Radio (DX7) and 6200 back to Horizon. They said it all tested fine and sent it back (took 3.5 weeks). Still had the same issues.

We have seen this same behavior on 3 different AR6200's, all with QC and current firmware revs. We have also tested this in different planes and with different radios - same result.

Not trying to bash Spektrum or Horizon, just trying to spread the word that one of their products may have an issue, hoping they admit it at some point.
deschutes is offline Find More Posts by deschutes
Last edited by deschutes; Jul 13, 2008 at 02:49 AM.
Old Jul 14, 2008, 08:21 PM
Joined Nov 2006
687 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deschutes
We have seen all kinds of issues with Spektrum AR6200 receviers at our field. The AR7000's work great. We are thinking there is a problem with the 6200's in general. Most of the people using 6200's have started to get rid of them one way or another.

See the video we did here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHEtRIPIdTY

This is just a basic demo, we have done many more hours of troubleshooting off camera (switching batteries, changing locations, parameters, etc.). In fact, we had the 6200 hanging out of the plane at one point and still could not get a clean range check. Due to this we sent the Radio (DX7) and 6200 back to Horizon. They said it all tested fine and sent it back (took 3.5 weeks). Still had the same issues.

We have seen this same behavior on 3 different AR6200's, all with QC and current firmware revs. We have also tested this in different planes and with different radios - same result.

Not trying to bash Spektrum or Horizon, just trying to spread the word that one of their products may have an issue, hoping they admit it at some point.
OK, So I just bought 6200. I've used it a few times successfully. Would it be safe to assume that if it range checks ok that it should perform ok? Clearly you guys are having problems with the 6200 and the problem shows during range check. Mine, for now, range checks OK. Am I OK?
ndb8fxe is offline Find More Posts by ndb8fxe
Last edited by ndb8fxe; Jul 14, 2008 at 09:49 PM.
Old Jul 14, 2008, 08:34 PM
Sailplane Mafia
United States, SC, Summerville
Joined Jun 2001
2,164 Posts
I have two 6200's and never had an issue. I still believe most of the issues are power related or poor placement of the RX.
gquiring is offline Find More Posts by gquiring
Old Jul 14, 2008, 11:42 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,760 Posts
Reports of problems with the AR6200 seem to be quite rare. Moreover, I understand that in most respects it's identical to the AR7000, which is generally agreed to be highly reliable.

Of course there are always possibilities of faults in individual examples or even batches, as with any piece of equipment.

Conclusion. I will continue to use my AR6200s, which have functioned flawlessly (as have my 6100s 7000s and 9000s).
Daedalus66 is offline Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Jul 15, 2008, 12:15 AM
5 miles from the geographical center of Pennsylvania
Joined Aug 2005
2,144 Posts
the comforting thing about deschutes video is that the Rx fails the range check, badly. My thought is that if you pass the range check, you should be ok. There are very few reports of any problems with this Rx.
Unterhausen is offline Find More Posts by Unterhausen