HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 29, 2008, 01:59 PM
7000mw of raw power!
New Hampshire (not the old one)
Joined Dec 2006
5,986 Posts
Plaiming,

50us pulses about 500hz apart on one of the motor wires. Out of phase on two for louder sound. One ESC I bought plays William Tell Overture. Really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaiming
I have seen many of the ESCs have a method to cause the motor to "beep" or play a sound. Any idea how this is done?
rich smith is offline Find More Posts by rich smith
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 29, 2008, 02:01 PM
7000mw of raw power!
Joined Dec 2006
5,986 Posts
"Oh, Happy Days Are Here Again...LaLaLaaaaa...La...Laaaa......"
Old Sep 29, 2008, 02:01 PM
UK
Joined Aug 2000
1,082 Posts
Rich,
I suggested some posts back that you comment out the call to evaluate_stall (in state3). Please confirm whether you have tried this.

When you say there is no FET activity after pressing the button, have you tested all three phases? You may only get 1 pulse.

If the motor runs smoothly after a hand start I don't believe the ESC is faulty.

I suggested places to put the LED in post 44. Please give those a try first.

I load my hex with motor and battery connected to the ESC. However, my programmer does not provide power.
Regards, David.
David T is offline Find More Posts by David T
Old Sep 29, 2008, 02:09 PM
7000mw of raw power!
Joined Dec 2006
5,986 Posts
Hey David, Wake up! Wake up! I got it running!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David T
David,

WOO HOO! SUCCESS!

It's running! I found the problem!

It appears your code has trouble starting with stm8306 FETS. I built up 4 more ESCs and 3 of them ran with your hex. Looking closely I notice Turnigy uses 8306 FETs on the two that don't start and 4503 on the three that do. Unless it's incredible coincidence or there's other component changes too this was the problem. They look identical except for that.

You are a genius! This has saved me hundreds of hours of tedious debugging and many "snap-crackle-pop". Now that I have something to start with it should be a cinch porting to a .5g design like the "ebay" ESC. Thank you Thank you Thank you.

Gratefully Yours,
-Rich
-

Rich,
I suggested some posts back that you comment out the call to evaluate_stall (in state3). Please confirm whether you have tried this.

When you say there is no FET activity after pressing the button, have you tested all three phases? You may only get 1 pulse.

If the motor runs smoothly after a hand start I don't believe the ESC is faulty.

I suggested places to put the LED in post 44. Please give those a try first.

I load my hex with motor and battery connected to the ESC. However, my programmer does not provide power.
Regards, David.
Old Sep 29, 2008, 02:11 PM
UK
Joined Aug 2000
1,082 Posts
That's great. Cheers.
Old Sep 29, 2008, 02:12 PM
UK
Joined Aug 2000
1,082 Posts
Do the ESCs with the 8306 run when hand started?
Old Sep 29, 2008, 02:22 PM
7000mw of raw power!
Joined Dec 2006
5,986 Posts
Yes, obviously. Those were on the ESC I've been having trouble with all this time. Probably due to the stall routine. I'll follow your suggestion and skip the routine as an experiment. Looks like slightly different FETs are making the stall routine too sensitive. Maybe on resistance IDK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David T
Do the ESCs with the 8306 run when hand started?
Old Sep 29, 2008, 02:33 PM
7000mw of raw power!
Joined Dec 2006
5,986 Posts
I notice the ramp-up is not exactly smooth but it runs every time (40 out of 40). Also at full speed it "clicks" unlike the unmodified ESC. I've seen other ESCs do this and I'm sure I can iron out these little issues now that I have my feet on the ground.

This is unbelievable. Don't know why hundreds of people aren't doing this. These threads should be a mile long. I swear it took me less than 5min to mod 4 of these last night. And they only cost me $6 and change shipped. Compare that with Flea and Takao deals which cost several times more and many hours work. Go figure!
Old Oct 29, 2008, 01:07 PM
7000mw of raw power!
Joined Dec 2006
5,986 Posts
Update:

Finally achieved my goal of a tiny DIY sub half gram ESC with the help of Quax, David_T, and Helmut_Schweig. Code is fraction the size of the program started with on the Turnigy 6a (I use adc and no ints or timers). Harware also stripped down similar to Aichinger/f330dev with mega8 MLF. Weighs <200mg dead bug and I think half of that is solder. Works well with a number of motors on 1 cell. No more flaky starts or ticks at WOT. Thanks guys.

-Rich
Old Oct 29, 2008, 01:45 PM
7000mw of raw power!
Joined Dec 2006
5,986 Posts
If anyone is starting with the Feigao/Turnigy 6a ESC like I did you should be aware there are two distinct harware versions using different components and they are not totally compatible. Easiest way to tell the difference is by the vreg as shown in the pic below.

Also note that there are four firmware versions which I determined by examining startup and stall behaviour with a scope: