HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 10, 2008, 05:56 PM
homo ludens modellisticus
The Netherlands, GE, Nijmegen
Joined Feb 2001
10,939 Posts
@Sumit
Also be very careful with those computer fans (when using them on a suitable motor), they were not designed for high rpm, blades may stretch or even explode. I would wear (safety) glasses whilst experimenting with them. And from a technical point of view, they were designed for air volume at low speeds, not for air-speed, so don't expect good results.

Vriendelijke groeten Ro
Ron van Sommeren is offline Find More Posts by Ron van Sommeren
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 11, 2008, 10:46 AM
7000mw of raw power!
New Hampshire (not the old one)
Joined Dec 2006
5,986 Posts
David,

Stupid me! Once the Corona410 was attached I got motors to run with old versions but they still need a push start. Tried a few new motors including those unmodified CDROM ones Gobrushless sold couple years ago. I will play with the timeout values and if no joy start putting your changes into Bernhards original. Will keep you posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David T
Yes, the older versions are not FF and did not have the button enabled. They are an evolution from making it work with a radio and then replacing that signal with a push-button controlled timer.
rich smith is offline Find More Posts by rich smith
Old Aug 29, 2008, 11:59 AM
must build something!
in front of a computer!
Joined Jan 2008
154 Posts
does any know where i could buy pcbs in the uk?
megamatt is offline Find More Posts by megamatt
Old Sep 15, 2008, 06:48 AM
Fly, fix, repeat
Tampere, Finland
Joined Feb 2007
961 Posts
rich, I noticed most of quax's newer flea programs aren't compatible with the 6A ESC hardware. He changed it to use a different pin for input. Just be aware of which pin is being used in the code you are modifying. I wanted to update the code to use a pwm motor signal as input and flash it to a 6A ESC to use in a 4#3 so we don't need a signal converter, but haven't had the time to do it. Quax has written code for a flea using pwm motor signal, but it uses the newer hardware layout with the different pin to the Turnigy.
oobly is offline Find More Posts by oobly
Old Sep 16, 2008, 07:39 AM
7000mw of raw power!
Joined Dec 2006
5,986 Posts
oobly,

Yes, I know about differences in pinout. No Quax code works with Turnigy 6a. David Theunissen translated Quax code to work with Turnigy but I have not been able to get it to work. I'm sure I'm dong something dumb.

freddo says:
NanoFreak is the only person who has a flyable bl DD tail with the stock RX, and that's with the Flea ESC.

If you have success or know of any PWM, RS232, Freeflight, or PPM source that runs on Turnigy please let me know. I am desparate to get control of that hardware platform. I wish you best of luck.

Thanks,
-Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by oobly
rich, I noticed most of quax's newer flea programs aren't compatible with the 6A ESC hardware. He changed it to use a different pin for input. Just be aware of which pin is being used in the code you are modifying. I wanted to update the code to use a pwm motor signal as input and flash it to a 6A ESC to use in a 4#3 so we don't need a signal converter, but haven't had the time to do it. Quax has written code for a flea using pwm motor signal, but it uses the newer hardware layout with the different pin to the Turnigy.
Old Sep 16, 2008, 08:20 AM
UK
Joined Aug 2000
1,082 Posts
Rich, If it is any consolation I had installed the RC version of the Flea software and needed the FF version again. When I recompiled the code and loaded it, the device did not run. When I installed the hex on my site it worked correctly in FF mode. So clearly I'm also getting something wrong now with the source but I am using the hex on my site successfully.
David.
David T is offline Find More Posts by David T
Old Sep 16, 2008, 09:48 AM
7000mw of raw power!
Joined Dec 2006
5,986 Posts
David,

You might find that if you give the motor a "push" it runs. As mentioned in earlier post I noticed hex did not match source but after disassembling found it was only a timeout constant that differed. Must be something odd about my arrangement (ESC,motor,rx,etc.). When I get set up again I'll mod another Turnigy and try your hex again.

Can't believe nobody else is trying to use your code. These Turnigy ESCs only takes a minute to mod and cost less than $10 ea. Konze and Takao stuff takes hours and you can buy several Turnigys for the price of one of those. Don't know why your approach isn't more popular.

Exactly what motor did you get running? Link?

-Rich

Quote:
Rich, If it is any consolation I had installed the RC version of the Flea software and needed the FF version again. When I recompiled the code and loaded it, the device did not run. When I installed the hex on my site it worked correctly in FF mode. So clearly I'm also getting something wrong now with the source but I am using the hex on my site successfully.
David.
Old Sep 16, 2008, 03:54 PM
UK
Joined Aug 2000
1,082 Posts
I tested with this http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=2069 and use a smaller DIY version.
Old Sep 17, 2008, 11:52 AM
7000mw of raw power!
Joined Dec 2006
5,986 Posts
Thank you for the info David. That is exactly the same one I use. Famous "Blue Wonder". I bought dozens of those. Also built many CD ROM types from scratch so motor is probably not my problem. Maybe my ESC is flaky. Been using this same last one of the three I modded (blew two) so will mod another when I get back into this part of the project.

Quote:
I tested with this http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=2069 and use a smaller DIY version.
Old Sep 23, 2008, 03:33 PM
UK
Joined Aug 2000
1,082 Posts
It's been bothering me that I could not get newly compiled versions of my code to run. I believe I know why, Ponyprog was not reloading the software automatically as expected after making changes.

I have uploaded new versions of both the asm and hex tonight. This works on my Turnigy in both RC (with a radio) and FF (no radio) modes with appropriate changes to the settings. It is in FF mode currently on my site so needs a pushbutton in place of a radio.
David.