HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 05, 2008, 11:47 PM
United States, Death Valley
Joined Aug 2003
3,113 Posts
Build Log
1/48 11'6" bulk cargo ship build

Me being as nuts as I am, decided I dident want a big tugboat, so i bought a 1/48 SAAM 26" tug from RCscalemodel.com.

This boat is awesome, the level of craftsmanship is awesome. It may seem expensive at first, but it is well worth the price. I loved the boat so much I built a cargo ship for it to help.

The ship is 11' 6" long x 24" beam x 18" high at the bow. The hull is light enough to lift easily by myself, but of course it very akward. It is made from 1" foam board structure, covered with 1/8" lauan skin and epoxyglass.

so in scale it's 540' long

Unfortunately i cant get a shot of the whole boat, will have to wait till it's outside
SilentHunter is offline Find More Posts by SilentHunter
Last edited by SilentHunter; Jul 11, 2009 at 04:28 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 05, 2008, 11:58 PM
Joined Aug 2003
3,113 Posts
The water ballast is baffled by the foam frame and separated into 4 bays. Water will be pumped in and out, because it is need to be light enough to carry, so you just cant pull the plug, caus it wont sink by itself.

It will have full propulsion, and a much needed bow thruster { Graupner Schottle in a tube}. I am wondering what i am going to use for a prop. It needs to be 7" diameter and have 4 blades. I can cheat and use an outboart motor 3 blade, but they dont look that scale on a modern cargo ship. Any ideas?
Old Jul 06, 2008, 12:14 AM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,091 Posts
Wow, that is a serious ship! I hope you have other tug drivers in your area! they are going to love you when you show up at the lake with that!

Re power, I'd say you are in trolling motor territory with this one... not really aware of any scale props, 7" in diameter... Maybe one of those small desktop fans would have a suitable *looking* prop?
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Jul 06, 2008, 12:26 AM
NeverAgainVolunteerYourse lf
Australia, QLD, Regents Park
Joined Mar 2007
3,689 Posts
Great build I like it.
I think a Darke Horse 12:1 planetary and 700 motor combo would turn a prop that size without a problem. The little desk fans arn't bad as a water prop at slow rpm, I once used one with a drill motor and gearbox for good effect on a 7 foot steam launch style of hull. Or maybe a prop from a really old 2 horsepower or so motor, may look more scale than a more modern outboard propeller.
Where do you get the foam board from?
Regards
Nick
nick_75au is offline Find More Posts by nick_75au
Old Jul 06, 2008, 12:57 AM
Joined Aug 2003
3,113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerominded
Wow, that is a serious ship! I hope you have other tug drivers in your area! they are going to love you when you show up at the lake with that!

Re power, I'd say you are in trolling motor territory with this one... not really aware of any scale props, 7" in diameter... Maybe one of those small desktop fans would have a suitable *looking* prop?
Hello, Yes my friend has another SAAM tug on order. I will invite anyone in the Tucson AZ or Phoenix to come and play when i get it done,

Trolling motors are the smart choice, but I'm not smart. I need some HP and a real looking propeller. I'm thinking a 280 rpm gearmotor from a wheelchair lift, but still looking for that "cool" prop. Yes there has been many air fans I have been inspired to use {on many future sub or ship projects!}, but they make then usually out of nylon or HDPE, so you cant reinforce them with anything...
Old Jul 06, 2008, 01:07 AM
Joined Aug 2003
3,113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_75au
Great build I like it.
I think a Darke Horse 12:1 planetary and 700 motor combo would turn a prop that size without a problem. The little desk fans arn't bad as a water prop at slow rpm, I once used one with a drill motor and gearbox for good effect on a 7 foot steam launch style of hull. Or maybe a prop from a really old 2 horsepower or so motor, may look more scale than a more modern outboard propeller.
Where do you get the foam board from?
Regards
Nick
Hello Nick,

Motors are not the problem, there are more 12v motor/gear combinations you can find than people . Check here:

http://www.surpluscenter.com/sort.as...c&keyword=GRDD

The foam board is from Home Depot. This foam has 2 layers of I think polyethelene on it. Good for waterproof. It is 5/8" thick, about $7 a 4x8' sheet
Old Jul 06, 2008, 01:08 AM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,385 Posts
After seeing the tow that the model boat club uses in the UK, I thought it would
be cool to have a large scale tow also... but it's too big...

However, I like the construction you have created..
foam, light weight, self ballasting...

Great build up,
Might have to reconsider the build.

Umi_Ryuzuki is offline Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Old Jul 06, 2008, 01:20 AM
Joined Aug 2003
3,113 Posts
Umi,

This seems to work well and be cheap {relative} too. The only caution is:

The foam board has a plastic skin that no glue likes to get a really "good" bond to, so i think its polyethelene. good news is that it peels off easy.

Lauan plywood is, well, Lauan plywood. It must be sealed inside and out to last.

If I put a suitcase handle on the hull like it is now, it is easy to carry. Of course it will get much more heavy with all the ither stuff later...
Old Jul 06, 2008, 02:01 AM
Joined Aug 2003
3,113 Posts
Here is the SAAM tug.

it has 2-550 motors , 3.5:1 reductions, www.dimensionengineering.com 2x25 esc, 4x12v 1.2 ah sla batteries. Enough power to make the boat plane

Awesome little tug
Old Jul 06, 2008, 09:15 AM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Coastal Maine
Joined Jun 2007
856 Posts
Nice size ship! I also like the in progress Horten in the background of photo 54
graphixman is offline Find More Posts by graphixman
Old Jul 06, 2008, 04:48 PM
abingdon england
Joined Feb 2008
498 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentHunter
The water ballast is baffled by the foam frame and separated into 4 bays. Water will be pumped in and out, because it is need to be light enough to carry, so you just cant pull the plug, caus it wont sink by itself.

It will have full propulsion, and a much needed bow thruster { Graupner Schottle in a tube}. I am wondering what i am going to use for a prop. It needs to be 7" diameter and have 4 blades. I can cheat and use an outboart motor 3 blade, but they dont look that scale on a modern cargo ship. Any ideas?

give simion at prop shop a call he most probably can make one.

john
cos918 is offline Find More Posts by cos918
Old Jul 10, 2008, 10:55 PM
Joined Aug 2003
3,113 Posts
Here of some picts of the latest progress. I framed up the superstructure from foam board, this will be covered with architectural cardboard sheet, with all the windows cut etc.

Hull has been glassed on the bottom with 6 oz cloth, going to finish with 2 oz cloth on the sides, then paint

I'm torn beteween making this a bulk carrier with cranes, or a LNG {liquefied natural gas} carrier with the Moss type sphere tanks. see pict if you dont know these.

Let me know what type you would build, gas or bulk?
Old Jul 10, 2008, 11:09 PM
master boat slacker
USA, NY, Mastic Beach
Joined Feb 2006
574 Posts
a few deck hatch would be easyer half spheres would be tough
or do it as a tanker with pipeing on top
bigford is offline Find More Posts by bigford
Old Jul 10, 2008, 11:15 PM
Joined Aug 2003
3,113 Posts
here is a shot of a LNG carrier
Old Jul 10, 2008, 11:18 PM
Joined Aug 2003
3,113 Posts
Lol , my model is not quite as big in scale as the Jahre Viking that would be like 25 feet in 1/48

Actually, I researched doing both, price and work about the same

Tankers are a little bland, except for the plumbing.