United States, GA, Columbus
Joined Mar 2002
1,123 Posts
Discussion
E-domodels F-4 phantom

Sorry, tried to post in the
E-domodels F-4 thread but messed up. Please move here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=882142

Here are a few pics of mine. Not yet maidened.

Stock fan with motor upgrade to 4000 kv outrunner from Don's RC.
**Motor/fan now changed to
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...hrust_w/_Motor

4s 2200 Zippy lipo
Turnigy Plush 40A ESC
HXT 900 servos on ailerons
HG 202MG digital servos on nosegear and elevator.
Assan 7channel 2.4ghz receiver

1.65 pounds
500 watts
36 Amps

300 Watts/Pound

James
JIMinKENTUCKY is offline Find More Posts by JIMinKENTUCKY
Last edited by JIMinKENTUCKY; Aug 15, 2008 at 10:40 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 05, 2008, 06:05 PM
Miami,FL
Joined Jun 2007
763 Posts
Sounds like a good power setup. Keep us posted in this thread on the maiden. Are you gonna try hand launching or only fly her with the landing gear?
rick88ss is offline Find More Posts by rick88ss
Old Jul 06, 2008, 07:42 AM
Member 120mph Club
New Bern, North Carolina, United States
Joined Oct 2004
12,444 Posts
James looks good. Cant wait for the maiden report.

Did it come with "Marine" stickers? The Playboys are/where a Marine unit. They are now VMAQ-2 (Flying the EA-6B Prowlers) and the bunny comes out during combat deployments. I have been supporting them for 8 yrs and have a couple of cool patchs and coins. Would love to have the F-4 with their markings...now if someone would make a EA-6...LOL
ATIS is offline Find More Posts by ATIS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: maxford Nieuport 1/5th Scale
Old Jul 06, 2008, 09:35 AM
Xtreme Nut
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Joined Oct 2005
2,046 Posts
I just maidened my F4 with the stock set up, I used a Flight Power EVOLITE 3S 2,100 and the CG is spot on. The power was sufficient for an easy flying plane. I must say that its better than the stock set up for the F15.

Roll out was about 30' and the lifts off gently. The plane was slightly nose heavy as I pushed the battery all the was forward. Only a couple of clicks up UP elevator and she was happily scooting along.

The plane is stable and rolls are very nice, not too fast and not too slow. As my RX was slightly glitching I decided to bring her in after like 2 mins of flight. She comes in well, needs a little power and the lands without any fuss.

Conclusion would be this plane in the stock set up would make it a really nice RC TOY. She looks great in the air for sure. I hope my mates took some pics of her flying.
tIANcI is offline Find More Posts by tIANcI
Old Jul 06, 2008, 02:05 PM
AKA Terry Till
Alexandria, VA
Joined Apr 2002
1,510 Posts
Tianci,
how many watts stock is it?
Looking to hand launch mine with about 380 watts.

Terry
ex-racr is online now Find More Posts by ex-racr
Old Jul 06, 2008, 03:38 PM
Miami,FL
Joined Jun 2007
763 Posts
Go for it and let us know how it goes. I'm looking for another EDF jet and this one is on my top 5 list.
Old Jul 06, 2008, 08:02 PM
Got Brushless?
Sacramento
Joined Sep 2007
310 Posts
"rc Toy" ??
Friedclutch is offline Find More Posts by Friedclutch
Old Jul 06, 2008, 09:23 PM
Xtreme Nut
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Joined Oct 2005
2,046 Posts
Fried - I am using the term RC Toy loosely, its because we are all so used to really nice planes, proper hinges, good performance etc. RC Toy is used in that context. This plane is by no means one of those so called rC TOYS that you purchase and then realise they can't fly at all.

The plane is worth owning for sure and it does fly nice. For me EDFs need to be planes that touch no less than 50 mph and flies sharp. I wish they made a bigger one with twin 64mm fans.

Terry - I will put my watt meter on her today and let you know how many watts she is producing. From the thrust that I felt, I am not keen to hand launch. Not for a maiden flight anyways. Let her ROG, she looks great. I suspect mine is only pulling about 300W, will let you know later today when I hook up the watt meter.
Old Jul 07, 2008, 08:41 AM
AKA Terry Till
Alexandria, VA
Joined Apr 2002
1,510 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tIANcI
Terry - I will put my watt meter on her today and let you know how many watts she is producing. From the thrust that I felt, I am not keen to hand launch. Not for a maiden flight anyways. Let her ROG, she looks great. I suspect mine is only pulling about 300W, will let you know later today when I hook up the watt meter.
Tianci, I fly off of grass and ROG may not work, even with larger wheels. Also, if the gear goes on, they're glued on, making it impossible to convert to belly lander later if no ROG. If the 64mm Don's extreme 3S combo does not work. I might need to go to 4S- which I'd rather not.

TIA for the Watt meter info.

TERRY
Last edited by ex-racr; Jul 07, 2008 at 08:47 AM.
Old Jul 07, 2008, 09:24 AM
Xtreme Nut
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Joined Oct 2005
2,046 Posts
Terry ... this is so sad ...I got only 230W-240W ... sniff sniff ... but its enough for her to fly fine. That would mean 380W will be good fun!
Old Jul 07, 2008, 11:57 AM
Member 120mph Club
Joined Oct 2004
12,444 Posts
Quote:
Terry ... this is so sad ...I got only 230W-240W ... sniff sniff ... but its enough for her to fly fine. That would mean 380W will be good fun!
You should see a slight power increase using a better lipo ( I saw a 300 gram thrust increase on a twin)... EVO Lites are 18c... go to a slightly larger 25c lipo (say a EVO 25 3s 2100... or go for a lighter set up and use a EVO 25 3s 1800)... the lipo should hold the voltage better giving you better RPM's. What was the voltage once the lipo settled?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 07, 2008, 05:34 PM
United States, GA, Columbus
Joined Mar 2002
1,123 Posts
I finally maidened the jet with the wicked 4000 kv motor in the stock fan.
I had too much throw and was very twitchy at first, very little trim was needed.
There was plenty of power and it was fast, just not as fast as expected.
I came in for a fast landing since it was the first landing and all was fine. I adjusted the throws and went back up again.

This time control was better and more enjoyable flight.
I flew a few laps and the fan threw a blade on a downwind turn at full throttle.
I had to land the plane deadstick and made it dive to pick up speed and then pulled up at the last moment to land.
Luckily landed it without a scratch.
I am going to try a replacement stock rotor one more time with the motor I am using, if it throws a blade again, I will put in a different fan.

James
JIMinKENTUCKY is offline Find More Posts by JIMinKENTUCKY
Old Jul 07, 2008, 06:01 PM
Member 120mph Club
Joined Oct 2004
12,444 Posts
Sorry to hear about the fan... what size is it?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 07, 2008, 06:08 PM
Miami,FL
Joined Jun 2007
763 Posts
Try these fans.(SF fans) They're the ones that Don uses with the 4000kV motor on 4S. For specs look here:

http://donsrc.com/cart/index.php?act...d&productId=62

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=EFL7007

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMinKENTUCKY
I finally maidened the jet with the wicked 4000 kv motor in the stock fan.
I had too much throw and was very twitchy at first, very little trim was needed.
There was plenty of power and it was fast, just not as fast as expected.
I came in for a fast landing since it was the first landing and all was fine. I adjusted the throws and went back up again.

This time control was better and more enjoyable flight.
I flew a few laps and the fan threw a blade on a downwind turn at full throttle.
I had to land the plane deadstick and made it dive to pick up speed and then pulled up at the last moment to land.
Luckily landed it without a scratch.
I am going to try a replacement stock rotor one more time with the motor I am using, if it throws a blade again, I will put in a different fan.

James
Old Jul 07, 2008, 07:26 PM
AKA Terry Till
Alexandria, VA
Joined Apr 2002
1,510 Posts
Quote:
I'm happy to hear that
It means I may have a good chance at H/L success at 380 watts.
James, sorry to hear that. I have two DF-70's and I just picked up a WM400, in case this fan grenades (but I don't think it should)
Haoye also has a 65mm fan, or you could get a 505. Either should handle the watts. The motor, though, I'm not sure.
I now have everything I need, so as soon as i finish my S400 mustang, I will tackle this.
Many thanks to those posting their experiences.

Terry