Closed Thread
Old Jul 04, 2008, 03:55 PM
1.21 Gigawatts!
Irvine, CA, USA
Joined Oct 2000
7,404 Posts
Discussion
RC Jet crash in Taiwan

On July 3, a turbine powered Rafael jet crashed into an apartment complex in Taiwan, resulted in a fire that caused evacuation of all residents. The crash started a fire in the 28th floor which destroyed a whole unit. Cause of crash is unknown, as the pilot is a seasoned veteran. As a result, the pilot was detained for possible public safety charges, and one of the last two flying field was immediately closed by the government.

Related news video:
http://www.nownews.com/2008/07/03/545-2299061.htm
Steph280 is online now Find More Posts by Steph280
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 04, 2008, 07:18 PM
Love is like Pi: Irrational
USA, ND, Grand Forks
Joined Jan 2005
2,159 Posts
Holy crap!
This could cause some bad repercussions for r/c pilots there, hopefully not though!
ronmeister is offline Find More Posts by ronmeister
Old Jul 04, 2008, 08:14 PM
1.21 Gigawatts!
Irvine, CA, USA
Joined Oct 2000
7,404 Posts
New media was adding fuel to flame. They kept on saying there is no law/regulation for RC models. Unfortunately the city did close the flying field, one of the last two in the city of Taipei.
Steph280 is online now Find More Posts by Steph280
Old Jul 06, 2008, 11:41 AM
Suspended Account
Mercer Co. PA
Joined Mar 2008
825 Posts
The problem isn't the field, it's turbines. I think it's insane that someone would fly a turbine in a metropolitan area. Sad that they just didn't make a restriction on turbines there, and let electrics and glow fly.

Bill
EDF30 is offline Find More Posts by EDF30
Old Jul 06, 2008, 01:06 PM
Vancouver, Canada
Joined May 2007
637 Posts
Even glows are dangerous. In a crash they can spill fule and start fire. With foam electric or light balsa wood they will probably not even penetrate the glass, just brake apart in little pieces.
Vasy is offline Find More Posts by Vasy
Old Jul 06, 2008, 04:11 PM
Suspended Account
Mercer Co. PA
Joined Mar 2008
825 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasy
Even glows are dangerous. In a crash they can spill fule and start fire. With foam electric or light balsa wood they will probably not even penetrate the glass, just brake apart in little pieces.
I wanted to say just electric, but that would have ticked the glow guys off.

Bill
Old Jul 06, 2008, 05:19 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasy
Glow fuel fires in crashes are actually VERY rare. I have seen 3-4 times as many electrical fires after the crash of an electric model than I have with a glow...and over the years I have seen 20 times as many glow models crash as electric......
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Jul 06, 2008, 09:20 PM
Joined Jul 2008
10 Posts
Quote:
Glow fuel fires in crashes are actually VERY rare. I have seen 3-4 times as many electrical fires after the crash of an electric model than I have with a glow...and over the years I have seen 20 times as many glow models crash as electric......
Yeas, because with a turbine when it crashes it takes a gallon of kerosine and projects it on to a red hot chunk of steel. That will almost always cause a fire!

Stick 400
Stick400 is offline Find More Posts by Stick400
Old Jul 06, 2008, 09:47 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stick400
Yeas, because with a turbine when it crashes it takes a gallon of kerosine and projects it on to a red hot chunk of steel. That will almost always cause a fire!

Stick 400
True, but I was not talking about a turbine crash and a kerosene/jet fuel fire...those are indeed common. I was speaking to glow fuel model fires, only.

I was pointing out that the previous poster did not know what they were talking about....

And to be perfectly correct, the turbine fires are not caused by a gallon of jet fuel hitting the red hot turbine. It is caused by the instant vaporization of jet fuel in the impact of the crash, enough so that the fuel air mix will ignite from some hot source in the crash..

You can toss a lit match into a pool of jet fuel and it will go out, as long as there is no vapor present.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Jul 06, 2008, 11:22 PM
Suspended Account
Mercer Co. PA
Joined Mar 2008
825 Posts
Quite likely turbines were really never allowed there on paper. Just one of the many things that can't be enforced all the time. That could very well be why they just flat out closed the site.

I fly at a local park, and am the only flyer, other than the occasional Air Hog flyer. Nobody says anything, the police don't seem to mind, and I don't abuse a good thing. I'm sure I could do 1 stupid thing and get it officially banned there very easily though. I think Mr. Turbine should have gone somewhere other than a major city with high-rises. High rises being the icing on the cake, in this case.

Bill
Old Jul 06, 2008, 11:31 PM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
The poor guy was "hooked and booked" for the incident. Harsh.

Doubletap
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
Old Jul 07, 2008, 06:32 PM
Houng-wen Lin
Shijr, Taiwan. DungGwan, China. City of Industry, California.
Joined Sep 2001
19,445 Posts
It's sad for that happend.

The flyer is one of famous guy in Taiwan RC community. Run a pretty big electronics maker.

Wish he can pass the hard time.
GWS4CEO is offline Find More Posts by GWS4CEO
Old Jul 07, 2008, 08:25 PM
Australia
Joined Oct 2000
1,221 Posts
Crazy rules to allow turbine in a metro area
MartinL is offline Find More Posts by MartinL
Old Jul 08, 2008, 03:46 PM
Team Basement RC
Toronto, Canada
Joined Jul 2004
429 Posts
The interesting thing to watch out for is what is going to happen with the claim for damages.

Do Taiwanese flyers have the equivalent of AMA or MAAC(Canada) Insurance?

I would be interested to see if there will there be a lawsuit for damages? How much will the plaintiff be claiming? If he's not insured what will happen to the guy? It would be an intersting story to follow.

If anyone could keep us posted that would be great.
max1 is offline Find More Posts by max1
Old Jul 08, 2008, 06:48 PM
North London ENGLAND
Joined Dec 2006
1,647 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubletap
The poor guy was "hooked and booked" for the incident. Harsh.

Doubletap
Harsh? Flying a jet at a site like that! How about egotistic, arrogant, and stupid behaviour from a guy who should have known better! Lucky that there were no fatalities!.The hobby can do without people like that. Long term there will probably be repercussions for model flyers of all types in Taiwan, and the incident may well be cited elsewhere also to the detriment of the hobby.
macboffin is offline Find More Posts by macboffin
Closed Thread