edi
Triplane addict
Elstertrebnitz, Germany
Joined Aug 2004
1,728 Posts
Help!
Spectrum DX6i aileron/rudder swap

Hi all,

today I received my Spectrum DX6i to check out 2.4 GHz. When I ordered I was asked whether I want the throttle on the left or the right stick. I said left so I got a Mode 2 type. However, according to the manual I now have throttle/rudder on the left and aileron/elevator on the right stick, but I want throttle/aileron on the left and elevator/rudder on the right. While this is not an issue for any simple model as I can just swap servos (hinging rudder to the "aileron" servo and vice versa) this approach would leave me with unusable programming settings so I'd prefer a "clean" solution.

I fancy I could swap some contacts in the TX, but that might leave me with the trimming display still showing aileron on the right-hand side and anyway I'd like to ask before I open the box of a brand-new TX.

So how can I do this? I have phoned my vendor and they said it's easy but their DX6i expert will only be back on Tuesday.
edi is offline Find More Posts by edi
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 04, 2008, 02:58 PM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Miami Lakes, Florida, USA
Joined Mar 2003
8,487 Posts
I don't know how to convert the radio, but what you're asking for is called "Mode 4".

Miami Mike is offline Find More Posts by Miami Mike
Old Jul 04, 2008, 03:37 PM
edi
Triplane addict
Elstertrebnitz, Germany
Joined Aug 2004
1,728 Posts
I know, but there is no offer for "Mode 4", but only "Mode 1" and "Mode 2". Any conversion options?
edi is offline Find More Posts by edi
Old Jul 04, 2008, 08:55 PM
Curiouser and curiouser
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Oct 2005
2,066 Posts
I, too, just got delivery on that radio.
I read through the manual from one end to the other.
I see no reason why you can't just plug you aileron servo into the RUD port and plug your rudder servo into the AILE port. I have done that with other radios and the radio has no idea which is which. Uhoh, all my other radios are not programmable - so you will have to be careful when you use the programming options to think about the effects the programming will have on each of your control surfaces, eh?
Walt
Kokopeli is offline Find More Posts by Kokopeli
Old Jul 04, 2008, 09:01 PM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Joined Mar 2003
8,487 Posts
That wouldn't work out very well with two aileron servos. He'd have to use a Y-harness and wouldn't be able to individually adjust the aileron trims, nor would he be able to use the flaperon option or program aileron differential. There might be issues with elevon mixing for flying wings as well.

I guess edi will have to wait until Tuesday and call up the expert.
Old Dec 26, 2014, 02:54 PM
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Oct 2013
2 Posts
Curious if this was possible, I fly throttle aileron left stick too....
vincegofast is offline Find More Posts by vincegofast
Old Dec 26, 2014, 05:36 PM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Joined Mar 2003
8,487 Posts
Wow, six and a half years since I wrote those posts above! Time flies.

If you don't mind the trim adjustments staying where they are and you just want the rudder and aileron stick functions to swap places, you could open the radio and swap the center wires between the two potentiometers. There's no need to do anything to the two outside wires, just swap the center wires. Splice in short extension wires if necessary for the wires to reach across.