SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 03, 2008, 04:01 PM
Registered Abuser
Joined Oct 2006
2,390 Posts
Discussion
Screaming Thunderbird!? DOA or am I just doing something wrong?

Hey guys, I just bought a Thunder bird 18 amp ESC to use with my hallow shaft AXI 2208/34 motor that is spinning a 9.34"evp prop. All this stuff is BRAND new and purchased in the last few days.
So I solder my micro deans connector to the ESC, and I soldered the esc directly to the motor wires. I plug the battery (3cell 900mah 15c Fusion pack,also new) and the ESC makes the beeps so loud that it hurts my ears. My other TB18 with an AXI 2212/34 makes the same beeping sequence but at a much quieter level. The esc seems to run fine. I fly 3 Castle Creations ESC's and one Jeti. The Jeti has NEVER made a louder than usual beep. My phoenix 10 esc made a loud beep for a while then it just stopped.. My other TB18 will do it at random times for no aparent reason.

Could I please get an explanation as to why my new TB18 screeches at me? Perhaps its a bad wind in my axi or a bad solder joint?
ziomatrixacs is offline Find More Posts by ziomatrixacs
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 04, 2008, 03:15 PM
Crivitz, WI
Joined Dec 2005
260 Posts
It has been my experience that different motors will produce different levels of the beeping sound with the same esc. The motor is actually emitting the noise. I guess I wouldn't worry about it unless you are getting performance issues, which you said you weren't.
Forester is offline Find More Posts by Forester
Old Jul 04, 2008, 06:19 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,875 Posts
I've also found that a given motor will have different beep volumes, depending on the position of the rotor! Some cogging resting spots beep louder than others.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Last edited by Tom Frank; Jul 04, 2008 at 09:34 PM.
Old Jul 04, 2008, 08:25 PM
Registered Abuser
Joined Oct 2006
2,390 Posts
Ah, this explains so many weird noises my ESC's have made over the years. So I assume the only possible cure is moving the motor position?
Old Jul 05, 2008, 02:29 PM
United States, OR, Beaverton
Joined Feb 2008
1,976 Posts
cross-posting
SteveM732 is offline Find More Posts by SteveM732
Old Jul 05, 2008, 06:15 PM
Registered Abuser
Joined Oct 2006
2,390 Posts
I needed to find out ASAP, the hobby shop is a mom n pop shop that is very weird when it comes to returns. I also got a lot more helpful replies..
Old Jul 06, 2008, 12:10 AM
United States, OR, Beaverton
Joined Feb 2008
1,976 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziomatrixacs
I needed to find out ASAP, the hobby shop is a mom n pop shop that is very weird when it comes to returns. I also got a lot more helpful replies..
If we all did that each time we were in a hurry this forum would become a steaming pile of rubbish. Which is why it is against the rules.
SteveM732 is offline Find More Posts by SteveM732
Old Jul 06, 2008, 12:15 AM
Registered Abuser
Joined Oct 2006
2,390 Posts
Yea I know what it is and if a moderator finds it offensive then they may delete either or both of the threads at their discretion, not yours. You had to change the subject when the thread was pretty much done with, and that turned it into a pile of rubbish, as the question was throughly answered. With these insane gas prices, you HAVE to find out ASAP if something is wrong for sure or not, as they would have refused to take it back after a period of time, so you could take it back in time before they refuse to do so with out spending $15 in gas for a $30 part that they may not exchange.
Old Jul 07, 2008, 05:25 PM
Olathe,KS,USA
Joined Oct 2000
2,654 Posts
I've found that in some models there are structures in the model that act as sounding boards, and they will resonate at the same frequency as the ESC beep -- which makes the beep very much louder.

If you can find what is vibrating in the airframe, and stiffen it up a bit, the beep will quiet back down.
Patrick del Castillo is offline Find More Posts by Patrick del Castillo
Old Jul 07, 2008, 09:26 PM
Registered Abuser
Joined Oct 2006
2,390 Posts
Yeah, I am using a box style foamie with some unusual construction methods. It was interesting because it beeped very quietly once. I couldnt find the motor position again though. Ill take the motor off and check it out.