Temecula
Joined Jul 2004
3,179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kram242
Soon very soon
Thanks!
Mark
Cool! I have a project comming up and this will help a great deal!
thewz is offline Find More Posts by thewz
Old Jul 03, 2008, 03:11 PM
"It's a Quad" :O
Temecula
Joined Jul 2004
3,179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kram242
is the wiring very complicated? The wiring is super easy, I'm no electronics expert, so I will be showing everyone how to wire it up as simple as possible
The way it works is that there are 3 axis, each axis has it own motor, each motor has 4 color coded wires. Each motor hooks into the drive board on its own section 123 or XYZ. Its really simple. I will be able to show you better in the build movies and pictures. All you do is stick the wire in and tighten down a set screw. I will show you guys where they go.

Mark
Will we have to buy the stepper controller boards or will there be instructions for building them be included?
Old Jul 03, 2008, 03:29 PM
Insert comment here:
Placentia, CA
Joined Feb 2006
980 Posts
I love the way it can cut in ď3DĒ. Full profiles foamies in no timeÖ.

How can I donate one of mine models to this project??? Itís a Cute(super deformed) Su 47

One more question. I hope it makes sence
While designing models do you have to worry about the diameter of the drill bit or software dose offset for you.
totalywicked is offline Find More Posts by totalywicked
Old Jul 03, 2008, 04:16 PM
14s 180mah should be enough...
United States, NC, Pfafftown
Joined Feb 2001
3,581 Posts
Mark...

I know you are getting pounded with questions, but here is another:

Is it a major undertaking to resize your cutting area? In other words, I use ALOT of Dollar Tree Foamboard for my prototypes, and save my FFF for proven designs..The Dollar Tree foam board is smaller...will that present a problem, or can you simply set the foamboard in the "home" position, and change the material size in the software?

This morning I was just before pulling the trigger on plans and controller + steppers for a CNC router setup, and I checked the groups first. I am glad I did. Your Phlatprinter takes up less space, and is a much nicer solution for foamies!!!

Tim
AG4RZ
IFLYOS is online now Find More Posts by IFLYOS
Old Jul 03, 2008, 08:02 PM
Cant you feel the freedom
USA, OR, Beaverton
Joined Jan 2007
345 Posts
EXCELLENT! Sign me up. As soon as you get those plans up expect atleast one sale. ;-)
NuttyPro67 is offline Find More Posts by NuttyPro67
Old Jul 03, 2008, 08:52 PM
7up
,ɯǝ ʇoƃ ɐʎ ɟı ,ɯǝ ǝʞoɯs
USA, KY, West Liberty
Joined Jun 2001
1,146 Posts
Very kool...
7up is offline Find More Posts by 7up
Old Jul 04, 2008, 01:10 AM
7up
,ɯǝ ʇoƃ ɐʎ ɟı ,ɯǝ ǝʞoɯs
USA, KY, West Liberty
Joined Jun 2001
1,146 Posts
I checked out the site...

I WANT PLANS!!!

That would make life sooooo much easier.

Any hint of a release date?

-Buk
7up is offline Find More Posts by 7up
Old Jul 04, 2008, 10:39 AM
-+- PhlatBoyz -+-
New Jersey
Joined Sep 2003
1,333 Posts
Happy 4th of July. Today, we celebrate our independence from cutting foam by hand lol

Hello. Just wanted to touch base with you guys. We were out last night so we didn't have a chance to respond sooner. We are going to a BBQ today but will be back later tonight.

thewz, Will we have to buy the stepper controller boards or will there be instructions for building them be included? No. We used a specific stepper motor and controller board that we purchased on Ebay. We have tried several and this combination we found seems to work the best. We will post the information for these parts in the build plans.

totalywicked, How can I donate one of mine models to this project??? Itís a Cute(super deformed) Su 47 That would be cool. Was it made is sketchup? If so, just post the sketchup model here and I'll cut it out to show everyone. If not, just post the dxf as flat parts layed out and I'll do my best to cut it out.

One more question. I hope it makes sence
While designing models do you have to worry about the diameter of the drill bit or software dose offset for you.
Good question. You do not have to worry about the bit diameter. The plug in will compensate for that. I will explain all of the features for the plug in once it's complete. We are going to keep it as simple as possible, at least to start off.

IFLYOS, Is it a major undertaking to resize your cutting area? No, it will not be a problem as long as it is smaller than the maximum cutting area which is The Phlatprinter template size 19.5" wide by 42" long. The truth of the matter is, it could be longer if you had a continuos roll. So, all you would do is draw a square in sketchup the size of your foam board, lay it in the template, and arrange your pieces within that square. And, of course, any pieces that go outside the square will not be cut but if you keep all of your pieces within the foamboard size square you created, it would only cut in there.
Tim, I'm really glad you found this. I think you'll love it.

7up, Any hint of a release date? We are working non-stop to get this going. The plans are already done for the printer you see in the videos. But, there are a few minor changes I want to make before I release the final plans. We are in the process of completing the build log. We want to be sure it is as simple as possible with our step by step instructions so anyone can build it. Also, we are in the development stage of the plug in. Again, to ensure we make this product easy to use.

Thank you all again, for your questions, interest, and kind remarks. Using The Phlatprinter really has been life changing for me. I can not tell you the last time I cut a plane out by hand. That is what started it all. I got plans for a plane printed out that I designed in sketchup as a 3d model and it hit me. I could design an entire "printer" that you cut out the same way you do with plane plans. And so it began.
kram242 is offline Find More Posts by kram242
Old Jul 04, 2008, 10:51 AM
Norfolk, Va
Joined May 2006
2,263 Posts
So price to build(?) and Time to build(?) And how much fabrication is needed(?).
It took months for me just to build a hotwire cutter so those would decide it for me.
fr4nk1yn is offline Find More Posts by fr4nk1yn
Old Jul 05, 2008, 02:58 AM
Insert comment here:
Placentia, CA
Joined Feb 2006
980 Posts
For a model do you just have to make it as "lines"? Or can you use polygons as well???
Is there a special way to format a model?

Here is my 1st model contribution.
Its an SD P-51D
Iíll post a file as soon as you let me know how it should be formatted
totalywicked is offline Find More Posts by totalywicked
Old Jul 05, 2008, 04:49 AM
CA
Joined Dec 2003
486 Posts
Really nice design!! I have been cutting by hand for years and this would be way cool!!!! would like to get a price on parts to see what the investment would be.....
Thanks
blindflight is offline Find More Posts by blindflight
Old Jul 05, 2008, 10:30 AM
Temecula
Joined Jul 2004
3,179 Posts
Soon....does that mean 2 days.....a week.....a month?

Inquiring minds want to know!
Old Jul 05, 2008, 03:12 PM
Up in smoke!
Greenville, TX
Joined Jun 2007
627 Posts
Soon?

Ya we all don't mean to be pushy, but we love to build things, especially if it something that will make building our planes faster and better. This really looks like something we are all going to want to make. I don't no if you really expected this much positive feedback, but now you've got us all chomping at the bit to build one of these.

BlueFFF
BlueFFF is offline Find More Posts by BlueFFF
Old Jul 05, 2008, 08:16 PM
Temecula
Joined Jul 2004
3,179 Posts
Tap....Tap......

You Phlatboyz out there?