HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Feb 22, 2011, 04:16 PM
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Jun 2002
2,969 Posts
As a welder I can say with 100% certainty that this is a manufacturing problem & the aluminum mounts are defective.

This a classic Chinese sand cast aluminum part of very low quality:
  • Overly brittle
  • Filled with voids & inclusions
Add in that there is too much material taken at the weakest points in the mount and what is seen on these motor mounts is an obvious end result.

That they instantly crack upon the nearest defect.

The ONLY honest corse of action is for Horizon/eFlight to fix the mounts. While I understand the "cheapness" factor. They need to either press & drill or mill a PROPER aluminum mount.
This is truely a case of "you can't simply up-size the crap you've made" because regardless of size. With the huge amount of defects found in the above part, a part of any size will simply crack & fail at the first fault.
Toysrme is offline Find More Posts by Toysrme
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 22, 2011, 04:26 PM
Were..is..my..Super..Suit ..
United States, NE, Papillion
Joined Sep 2009
2,510 Posts
Spam is posting stuff that has nothing to do with the topic, this is a 3d rc plane which I posted in the right place (3D foamies) and I am sharing my knowledge and experiences that I have had with this plane.

Maiden flight went great!!! flight video will be up either today or really soon.

j3tman,
j3tman is offline Find More Posts by j3tman
Old Feb 22, 2011, 04:28 PM
Whoooo!
Summerville, SC
Joined Jan 2009
1,717 Posts
Great pics Toys. You can also see where the "cheap" metal is getting worn by the screw threads. Creating fault lines essentially.

That said, I will say this. This is my second experience buying a newly released plane. The first was a flyzone Diablo which was grossly under powered and poorly engineered. The Yak on the other hand is powered sufficiently and is great fun to fly! Being part of the first 500-1000 buyers of this plane; we are essentially Eflites beta testing group. Hopefully they will take care of us like they usually do.
StormJunkie is offline Find More Posts by StormJunkie
Old Feb 22, 2011, 04:32 PM
Joined Dec 2010
35 Posts
Excessive Advertising (Spam)-We allow one advertisement per week per forum per user. An advertisement is any content designed to sell or publicize an event, good, or service. Note that certain areas of the site (including the classifieds and vendor sections) are exempt from this rule.

-RCG rules
ChrisMasters is offline Find More Posts by ChrisMasters
Old Feb 22, 2011, 04:36 PM
Team Hillbilly
United States, MD, Dundalk
Joined Feb 2009
3,492 Posts
Ok I bite the bullet and ordered one today. Im still new to planes so I will be flying on low rates at first but It just seems like a better plane than PZ extra 300 which was the other option I was looking at. This will be my first "Bigger" plane. I got the Umx Beast at christmas time as a first plane and then the Umx 300 a couple weeks later. It's time for a larger plane to fly on those windy days where the Umx's are stuck in the hangar. I have dabbled in the heli hobby for a little while now but really seem to like the planes better. I should have the plane on thursday. Hopefully the weather will co-operate and I will get a decent maiden. I have noticed these motor mount problems. I will probably talk to a friend who has a cnc machine about making up some custom mounts. I will have to have the plane in hand to see what can be done to make it stronger besides simply using better aluminum. If something works out with that I will post the availability of this part. Really depends on how much it cost to do the cnc setup ect.
tominator06 is offline Find More Posts by tominator06
Last edited by tominator06; Feb 22, 2011 at 04:37 PM. Reason: spell
Old Feb 22, 2011, 04:42 PM
Were..is..my..Super..Suit ..
United States, NE, Papillion
Joined Sep 2009
2,510 Posts
Well this is my first advertisement this week and my first thread in this forum.

j3tman,
j3tman is offline Find More Posts by j3tman
Old Feb 22, 2011, 04:45 PM
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Jun 2002
2,969 Posts
its an easy plane to fly. has enough weight to it to learn how to conserve energy, so much power & control throws to easily get itself out of trouble (which also gets into trouble, but i digress).

aside from the motor mount, i haven't seen a problem. i confess i dont understand the cutout & voids in the back of the plane as cooling ducts as the nose is wide open & all that air can simply exit over the ESC to the bottom of the plane. (where they seem to break in half), but maybe that's for the best. give a plane meant for abuse a weak spot so you can just glue two halves together lawlz
Toysrme is offline Find More Posts by Toysrme
Old Feb 22, 2011, 04:54 PM
Whoooo!
Summerville, SC
Joined Jan 2009
1,717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tominator06 View Post
I will probably talk to a friend who has a cnc machine about making up some custom mounts. I will have to have the plane in hand to see what can be done to make it stronger besides simply using better aluminum. If something works out with that I will post the availability of this part. Really depends on how much it cost to do the cnc setup ect.
I'd be interested in a cnc'd motor mount. Better alum and CNC'ing is all it should take to fix this problem.

I just talked to HH support. Told them I did not want them to send a $2.99 motor mount (they've already taken care of me on several other issues above and beyond the call of duty.) Made certain to express all of the concerns voiced here and rep should pass along to engineering (although I'm sure they are already aware of it). I recommended a product bulletin, and a fix for the issue. A motor flying off in to a person or a crowd of people would be VERY bad, especially since this is a known issue.

In the meantime, I'll keep a few of these on hand and CLOSELY inspect after every flight.

What a fun plane to fly!!!
StormJunkie is offline Find More Posts by StormJunkie
Old Feb 22, 2011, 05:23 PM
USA, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2010
146 Posts
Aftermarket parts

Someone with an entrepreneurial spirit may likely start making quality motor mounts for this bird.
rlongenecker is offline Find More Posts by rlongenecker
Old Feb 22, 2011, 05:42 PM
It's just a plane.
USA, SC, Goose Creek
Joined Aug 2010
2,104 Posts
I've forwarded a link to this thread to sotog who makes all kinds of motor mounts. Hopefully he'll be able to come up with something that will help you guys out.
ZackJones is offline Find More Posts by ZackJones
Old Feb 22, 2011, 05:54 PM
USA, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2010
146 Posts
Way to go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZackJones View Post
I've forwarded a link to this thread to sotog who makes all kinds of motor mounts. Hopefully he'll be able to come up with something that will help you guys out.
Outstanding.
rlongenecker is offline Find More Posts by rlongenecker
Old Feb 22, 2011, 06:01 PM
Destructive Tester
Tampa, FL
Joined Apr 2008
1,339 Posts
HH support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy34256 View Post
I will say it right here..e-flite QA sucks!!!!! They shipped me a new motor mount and while the package was properly marked for the CZ Yak the mount inside was WAY too small.... Unbelievable
HH tech support looked at the pictures I sent of my broken mount and the "small one" they shipped me. The guy was adimant that the broken one is the wrong mount as confirmed by Quique himself. They claim that it was not manufactured that way. They want me to send both to them for evaluation.

This whole excersise blows my mind when WE the users are experienceing a valid problem documented several times over in this forum. Whats up??? Admit its crap metal, issue a product bullitin and redesign it. So over this BS...

ARE YOU READING THIS HORIZON????????

Done
jimmy34256 is offline Find More Posts by jimmy34256
Old Feb 22, 2011, 06:26 PM
Team Hillbilly
United States, MD, Dundalk
Joined Feb 2009
3,492 Posts
I wonder if the new one is an already redesigned piece? They just don't want to admit it yet. I will be sure to check mine each flight. Are you guys cranking them down super tight? What do you think about using some loctite and not tightening them down so hard to possibly avoid this failure till we get it worked out. Mine is still in the mail and I would hate to crash on the maiden flight. I know nothing will "fix" the problem I'm just putting some thoughts out there.
tominator06 is offline Find More Posts by tominator06
Old Feb 22, 2011, 06:26 PM
Free as a bird now.
United States, FL, Punta Gorda
Joined May 2002
6,572 Posts
Take it easy guys. If 10 different people want to open 10 different threads about the same plane, they can.

If you don't like it, don't read the threads.

Personaly, I would rather see just one thread with 10 guys posting about thier experiences with a a particular plane or product. It's better to have everything in one place.

However, it's pretty easy to figure out which threads interest me and which ones don't. As long as I see new content being posted that interests me, I'm going to read it.

By the way, my own HK EPP Yak should arrive any day now. I'll be sure to start a thread, or three, when it gets here!
Brian Courtice is offline Find More Posts by Brian Courtice
Old Feb 22, 2011, 06:28 PM
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Nov 2009
652 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZackJones View Post
Hi Guys,

Sorry to hear about the issues with the stock mount.

I do a number of custom aluminum motor mounts all CNC'd from 6061 aluminum. If there is some interest, I could make a replacement mount for the one provided by E-Flite out of solid aluminum. I could also increase the overall thickness, or even the width of the spokes.

I don't have to much info on this plane but will do a bit of research. But from the pictures I have seen, it looks fairly straight forward. A flat 'X' mount with the appropriate mounting holes. I will need to purchase the stock mount which I can order tomorrow (local hobby store doesn't have any in stock).

Could someone measure their stock mount hole locations? I'm curious to know what the motor mounting hole spacing is (from one hole to the other crossing through the center of the mount), and the hole spacing for attaching the mount to the fuse.

Also, if I could get the overall width of the mount at the outer edges of the spokes. This will at least give me an idea of what I'm looking at until I get my hands on an actual mount.

If anyone has any more information, please let me know.

And Thanks for the link ZackJones!

Terry

I also wanted to add that if people are interested in using an after market motor, I can easily design the mount to accommodate a variety of bolt patterns such as the common 19x25mm pattern as well as the stock 25x25 pattern. Not sure how much space is in the cowl, but I could even do a 30x30 pattern for the larger E-flite 32 motors (if it will fit).
sotog is offline Find More Posts by sotog
Site Sponsor
Last edited by sotog; Feb 22, 2011 at 06:40 PM.
Closed Thread